Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: EVH Frankenstein Humbucker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: EVH Frankenstein Humbucker

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Skopp View Post
    OK, I guess the cat is out of the bag. I love NAMM week.

The version you referenced is made on our production floor. The Relic version is made in the SWD Custom Shop and is a very limited run of 500 units, making it an instant collector's item
    Evan, could you clarify the channels that these pups are going to be purchased through?

I just called MJ to get the scoop on some of this info and I blamed it all on you....(she is looking for you now!)

I may have read your statement wrong and got the idea that the relic version could be ordered from the Custom Shop.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"We can't sell the Frankenstein pickup because it's a Fender-EVH exclusive. However, we developed a Custom Shop pickup that has a similar sound, but using different magnet wire and a different magnet -- degaussed Alnico 5. We call it the IM1. It's available for $180 with aged cosmetics or $160 non-aged."

MJ

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The people are GENIUSES!!!

Why get stuck with a pickup you can't have control over when you actually can produce similar results using your own creativity AND be the sole owner of said results.

Go SD Team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay View Post
    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by That90'sGuy View Post
    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maricela J View Post
    "We can't sell the Frankenstein pickup because it's a Fender-EVH exclusive. However, we developed a Custom Shop pickup that has a similar sound, but using different magnet wire and a different magnet -- degaussed Alnico 5. We call it the IM1. It's available for $180 with aged cosmetics or $160 non-aged."

MJ
    I love that ()!

I bet that after I called, MJ said somethng to the affect of "...if I have to stop this car one more time.....!"

....I'll call back after NAMM to send more $$$ to SD and Company.
    Last edited by Binnerscot; 01-13-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Mojo's Minions Christopher Caruana's Avatar
    the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ganzosrevenge View Post
    hmm, so if the '78 is the start point of what becomes the frankenstein pup, it must have been rewound at some point with different wire (probably of a different gauge at some point) between what the '78 on the first VH album was, and the Frankenstein pup in its current state...

I think i'm reading too far into this
    so which pup du think would be better for the VH1 and 2 sound? the SD '78 or the Fender/EVH pup?
    2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

putting a LOT of thought into buying the relic holding it (not installing) then selling. What do you guys think?

The San Bernardino mountains in Southern California
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm gettin' the regular non-reliced Frankenstein model. I've been waiting for this pickup for THIRTY YEARS.

Hey Erik, it finally happened! WOOHOO!

Do not be wise in words - be wise in deeds.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Binnerscot View Post
    Evan, could you clarify the channels that these pups are going to be purchased through?

I just called MJ to get the scoop on some of this info and I blamed it all on you....(she is looking for you now!)

I may have read your statement wrong and got the idea that the relic version could be ordered from the Custom Shop.
    If it say EVH on it, it can only be ordered through Fender. Relic or non-relic.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Lollar Pickups, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Musopia.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Caruana View Post
    so which pup du think would be better for the VH1 and 2 sound? the SD '78 or the Fender/EVH pup?
    SD '78 fits that perfectly.

Mojo's Minions Christopher Caruana's Avatar
    the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Binnerscot View Post
    SD '78 fits that perfectly.
    see ya I a was already to go order the '78.......but then i saw the EVH frankenstein pup on musicians friend, now i cant decide
    2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

TheArchitect

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Caruana View Post
    78. This new pickup would be the Fair Warning / 1984 tones

TheArchitect

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGuitarCA View Post
    I'm gettin' the regular non-reliced Frankenstein model. I've been waiting for this pickup for THIRTY YEARS.

The 78 is the pickup you have been waiting 30 years for. The pickup in there now is what they replicated and in my opinion is just a Custom Custom no matter what Fender chooses to call it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGuitarCA View Post

Yep, I figured you'd be going crazy over this one....LOL. My budget isn't allowing me to get one. No big deal. I'm happy with the pickups I have now.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the pickup is not the same as a custom custom.the custom custom is an even wind pickup both coils have the same amount of wire..the fender 25k frankenstrat pickup is an asymetric wind which means the coils have a different amount of wire per coil.this makes a big difference in the sound.also a pickup winder i know who speced out the fender EVH frankenstrat pickup said that the magnet was fully charged alnico 2.he new a major amp manufactor who had one of the guitars and sent him the pickup to copy for them.fyi....its an amazing sounding pickup,you guys will love it..

TheArchitect

Quote Originally Posted by sjm5150 View Post
    the pickup is not the same as a custom custom.the custom custom is an even wind pickup both coils have the same amount of wire..the fender 25k frankenstrat pickup is an asymetric wind which means the coils have a different amount of wire per coil.this makes a big difference in the sound.also a pickup winder i know who speced out the fender EVH frankenstrat pickup said that the magnet was fully charged alnico 2.he new a major amp manufactor who had one of the guitars and sent him the pickup to copy for them.fyi....its an amazing sounding pickup,you guys will love it..
    I don't want to hear more propoganda about Motor City. Spamming this board is against the rules.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not to give you a hard time, but I have been just amazed by the quality, diversity, and customer care of Seymour Duncan.

SD made the original, that eventually became what it is today through (pick your favorite rumor). It was then reconstructed by SD for the Fender replica guitar. Now, the current offering is made by SD and being sold by Fender/EVH.

That is a lot of SD in that statement, and SD has never handed us any bull****. They have only said they could not say certain things due to legal restrictions. So please take your copy and enjoy it while SD provides the real thing - whether it be a '59. '78, CC, JB, DD, IM1, or Fender/EVH.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    I don't want to hear more propoganda about Motor City. Spamming this board is against the rules.
    what are you talking about,im telling you the difference between the fender EVH pickup and the custom custom.your the one that thinks its the same.im not spaming anyone.i just ordered the EVH fender pickup from musicians friend.from what i understand duncan can not sell the same pickup even though they make the EVH version for fender..

TheArchitect

also a pickup winder i know who speced out the fender EVH frankenstrat pickup said that the magnet was fully charged alnico 2.he new a major amp manufactor who had one of the guitars and sent him the pickup to copy for them.fyi....its an amazing sounding pickup,you guys will love it..
    The only person I have heard of supposedly doing this is Motor City. This is what I am talking about.

How many people buy 25k guitars to dismantle the pickup for the specs? To determine wind, tension, pitch etc that pickup would have to be dismantled. That's the only way to do it properly which makes it very difficult to believe it was done at all. A 25k R&D job by some small pickup maker seems unlikely at best

Then, along comes someone with a whopping 9 posts claiming to have the inside skinny on all of it and we are expected to drop to our knees and accept it as gospel truth? I don't think so.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it doesnt matter what was done when the pickup was not publicly available.its now available and your telling people that its a custom custom???i know for 100% fact that its an asymetric wind with a fully charged alnico 2 magnet.that is way different sounding than a custom custom which has even wound coils.i dont ask anyone here for anything.i was told some one here was using my clips,i came and checked it out and you start preaching to me about spaming,your beef is with some one else not me.go play you custom custom through your 5150 amp,and keep your incorrect thoughts to your self..

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Evan said the specs on the ones Fender is making available is deguassed A2 fellas....
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”