Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JJ ECC83s or Tung-Sol 12AX7 current production?

Default JJ ECC83s or Tung-Sol 12AX7 current production?

I'm a big JJ guy, but I have been hearing great reviews about the current production Tung-Sols. How do these compare in tone and output? Opinions!

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Default Re: JJ ECC83s or Tung-Sol 12AX7 current production?

+1, very interested in this myself-any info anyone can share is much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by TSE View Post
    I'm a big JJ guy, but I have been hearing great reviews about the current production Tung-Sols. How do these compare in tone and output? Opinions!
    if you get them from a good tube vendor that screens them, they should be at full 12AX7 spec (100 gain, 1.2 mA or slightly above) - they're a strong tube. tone wise they do not sound as muffled as the JJ ECC83s - more openness, more clarity.

Tung Sol.

around the same output but seem to have more clarity/ a little less dark.
    - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
    Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
    Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven® of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

The JJ's are darker/warmer/creamier where as the Tungsols are brighter, more articulate and a bit more compressed. I like the Tungsols over the JJ's but I prefer the Sovtek LPS over both. The LPS sound a little more organic than the TS, a little more open and warm to my ears but still very articulate.

Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar

i pulled the JJ ecc 83s' out of my peavey windsor from v-1 and v-2, didn't care much for them, too harsh, not much clarity, muddy, blah blah blah just weren't that great. tung-sol's seem like they might get'cha where you're goin' though.
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

supernosher

what about the new Penta's or Ruby AC5's - compared to the Tung-Sol?

I bought a Tung Sol preamp tube 2 or 3 months ago, it crapped out 2 weeks later. The JJ 803 is still running though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist
    Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
    http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    The JJ's are darker/warmer/creamier where as the Tungsols are brighter, more articulate and a bit more compressed. I like the Tungsols over the JJ's but I prefer the Sovtek LPS over both. The LPS sound a little more organic than the TS, a little more open and warm to my ears but still very articulate.
    Pretty good discription. I've tried many preamp tubes and I found the Tungsol works great in V1 with Sovtek LPS in V2 &3 but especially LPS in V3(pi). But I found the Tungsol to be a little bright for me. I switched to a Mullard reissue for V1, and to me, it's just as powerful and articulate as the Tungsol but a bit smoother and warmer.

I made my comparisons with an 18 watt Marshall clone 1x12 w/Greenback RI and an LP with Seths and 500K CTS pots.

To my ears (and with my particular tube samples), the JJ 12AX7's were more compressed than the Tung Sols. The seemed to lop off the initial attack and had a slower, longer decay...literally as if a compressor effect was put into the signal chain. The JJ's had a low-mid emphasis which gives them that "warmer" sound, but they still had plenty of high-treble bite. The midrange was slightly fatter. I have an older GT-labeled version that is not as compressed with a slightly darker character that I like better. The test samples above were too compressed and "sterile" to me.

The Tung Sol reissue 12AX7's were more open with better touch sensitivity and dynamics. They had less apparent sustain due to a lack of relative compression. They are very detailed with nice upper-end harmonics and complexity. They are not sterile sounding. They are brighter than the JJ's and have a slighly scooped midrange to my ears along with a stronger low bass response; low notes were a bit too bassy. Although they sound very nice, they thinned out the tone of this particular amp. They sound more "Fender" than "Marshall."
    MIJ Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard Plus w/ Antiquities
    MIM Fender 50's Stratocaster
    Teese Picture Wah or Budda Bud-Wah
    2000 Budda Verbmaster 18 1x12" combo
    Home-built GDS 18 watt Marshall 1974 clone
    George L's

Ultimate Tone Slacker DesertRat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TSE View Post
    They're both good tubes. the Tung-Sols are a bit more raw and aggressive sounding to my ears. I have a JJ in the clean channel and a Tung-sol in the overdrive channel of the same amp (my Laney VC30). It all depends on the application.

I recently retubed my PV Ultra with JJ ECC83S rated for Hgh Gain , previously I had 2 Tung Sol and 2 JJ HG ,when I removed the TungSol from V1&V4(pi) and replaced with the JJ HG tubes,it really opened up...maybe the difference is I use the ones rated for high gain,I dont know,but I had more dynamics and the Upper Mid Peavey Grit was greatly reduced.(to my suprise)
    I prefer the JJ's in this amp, but the TungSol sound way better in my Blackstar DistX Pedal than JJ or sovtek

When the going gets tough And the stomach acids flow
    The cold wind of conformity Is nipping at your nose
    When some trendy new atrocity Has brought you to your knees
    Come with us we'll sail the Seas of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
    they're both good tubes. The tung-sols are a bit more raw and aggressive sounding to my ears. I have a jj in the clean channel and a tung-sol in the overdrive channel of the same amp (my laney vc30). It all depends on the application.
    +1
    MIJ Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard Plus w/ Antiquities
    MIM Fender 50's Stratocaster
    Teese Picture Wah or Budda Bud-Wah
    2000 Budda Verbmaster 18 1x12" combo
    Home-built GDS 18 watt Marshall 1974 clone
    George L's

I was the biggest fan of JJ AX7s until I tried the Tung-Sols, and those suckers are great. Christian actually turned me on to them, and I'm really glad he did.

Luke
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeSound View Post
    I bought a Tung Sol preamp tube 2 or 3 months ago, it crapped out 2 weeks later. The JJ 803 is still running though.
    There are reports that they won't hold up in the cathode follower position (V2 in a Tweed or vintage Marshall), but there fine in most other positions. Use it V1 to set the tone if it's what you like and a more robust tube for the CF.

It really depends on the amp and cab you are using. I hated JJ's in my laneys in the v1 and v2 positions. Muddy and mushy. The Tungsols sounded fantastic, brighter and much more clarity and punch. Unfortunatley in my GH50l they added hum. They work great in my Lionheart in v1 though.

I generally use a mixture of Tunsol for the punch and clarity and use Penta Labs and maybe a single JJ to add a little chewiness to the tone, if that makes any sence.

As I said one tube may sound great with one setup but will sound terrible with another.

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar

The new TS's are killer...brighter and more articulate than the JJ's but not brittle at all...I much prefer them to the JJ FWIW...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Mr. Ray Charles sang a tune about my beloved state being on his mind.

I have had very mixed luck with microphonics and them just quitting way too soon or being DOA. The ones that have actually worked seem OK to me. I honestly need a few X7s right now and will not be ordering the Tung Sols. I am just scared of the shottyness I have experienced thus far.
    I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Ultimate Tone Slacker wixedmords's Avatar

I don't have any problem with either but choose for sound in the various amps I use tubes in. I'd never load any amp up completely with either tube.
    Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
    Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Im a tube whore! i tried a few, best bet is getting used or new nos tubes. I was surprised that the sovtek lps sounded very close to the nos tubes, well worth it IMO.