Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JJ ECC83s or Tung-Sol 12AX7 current production?

Default Re: JJ ECC83s or Tung-Sol 12AX7 current production?

Quote Originally Posted by wixedmords View Post
    I don't have any problem with either but choose for sound in the various amps I use tubes in. I'd never load any amp up completely with either tube.
    Great advice as usual Wixed.

Quote Originally Posted by ken361 View Post
    Im a tube whore! i tried a few, best bet is getting used or new nos tubes. I was surprised that the sovtek lps sounded very close to the nos tubes, well worth it IMO.
    I just installed 2 sovteks LPS and one EI tube which all replaced JJ tubes in my Engl Screamer. The amp sounds so much better now o.O Clear but not harsh, smooth really.

The problem I have with the sovtek is, that they don't glow so bright as the other tubes, does it mean I got some duds altough it sounds good?
    Last edited by StrangeSound; 04-16-2009 at 11:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist
    Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
    http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Mojo's Minions

I'm interested in the Tung-Sol 12AX7s for use in some of my Mesa amps. I agree that the JJ's are a little too dark. I've used the EH 12AX7s, but the Groove Tubes GY12AX7-M "Mullard clone" sound the smoothest and creamiest in the Mark Series amps. I gather these are hard to find now; and some have reported them to be noisy and short-lived. The Mesas need a very high quality tube in the V1 socket: durable, with low-noise, and it must be non-microphonic.

Can anyone give me a rundown on the Tung-Sol versus the EH, and the GT 12AX7-M? The New Sensor Mullard looks interesting, too.

TIA.

Bill

I use Tung-sol in the pre-amp and a JJ el84. The Tungsol is bright and grittier by a lil bit in my amp. I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeSound View Post
    I just installed 2 sovteks LPS and one EI tube which all replaced JJ tubes in my Engl Screamer. The amp sounds so much better now o.O Clear but not harsh, smooth really.

The problem I have with the sovtek is, that they don't glow so bright as the other tubes, does it mean I got some duds altough it sounds good?
    its normal for those tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeSound View Post

Yeah I have the LPS in my Screamer too and they sound amazing. Much better than the JJ ones or stock tubes. I did test drive a gold pin Tung Sol in the V1 for a couple days though. Its a nice tube but the LPS suit this amp so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Yeah I have the LPS in my Screamer too and they sound amazing. Much better than the JJ ones or stock tubes. I did test drive a gold pin Tung Sol in the V1 for a couple days though. Its a nice tube but the LPS suit this amp so much better.
    I wanted to sell the amp but it was just the stoopid JJ preamp tubes, it sounds really great now. Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist
    Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
    http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

good deal man