Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Well LXIII: Abandon faith, all ye who enter here!

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar

Default The Well LXIII: Abandon faith, all ye who enter here!

Today's menu:
    Grilled Pork Chop's
    Asparagus
    Rice Pilaf
    Hollandaise Sauce
    Vodka & Tonic
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 04-23-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Default Re: The Well LXIII: Abandon faith, all ye who enter here!

Wow, I can't believe you haven't been in the Well prior to now.

Anywho.....

What's your favorite beer (or other, if beer does not apply)?

I am not sure I have an absolute favorite? I haven't been around good beer in years! The only thing they have around here is Miller or Budweiser.

Favorites:
    Prips Blue Lager
    Labats Blue
    Calgary Stampede
    Kosovo Hunt Club

Very nice. Do you find a use for white pepper?

Vodka of choice?

Favorite cut of beef?

Do you go fishing?

BBQ briqettes, real wood charcoal, or propane? Grill of choice?

What's your favorite book? First guitar? First album you purchased?

where do you live, what's your job?

Education?

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgenutz View Post
    Very nice. Do you find a use for white pepper?
    I am not a fan of white pepper, because so many places overuse it! The problem is they don't know how much they have already used so it is almost always overkill, especially in cream based soups. I understand it from an aesthetic perspective, but I personally don't use it.
    Vodka of choice?
    I usually buy Smirnoff. It is the minimum that's acceptable. I don't really drink Vodka out of an appreciation of Vodka , its just something to get drunk! I like good gin, but it is hard to get good gin around here. It is hard enough getting palatable beer.
    Favorite cut of beef?
    Ribeye or T-bone.
    Do you go fishing?
    I live on a lake so I do a lot of fishing, except for last year. The lake level was low and fishing sucked.
    BBQ briqettes, real wood charcoal, or propane? Grill of choice?
    I usually use propane for the majority of things, but I will use hardwoods for seafood and prime cuts. Charcoal if I am doing something in the dutch oven.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 03-27-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dd12939 View Post
    What's your favorite book?
    I don't read much in terms of novels. Probably my all time favorite would have to be "Red Harvest" by Dashiel Hammet. I got it from a book fair while in high-school and I remember being amazed at how vivid a picture he could paint with his words. I mostly read military history and a lot of IT technical documents.
    First guitar?
    A Westone 65th anniversary model superstrat that I still have. The original neck broke which was a shame, because it was made from Canadian rock maple and it was the best feeling neck I have ever had.
    First album you purchased?
    I don't remember the first album I bought, but I do remember the first hard rock albums bought for me. I wanted Rainbow "Straight Between the Eyes" and Black Sabbath "Heaven and Hell". My parents didn't like either so I ended up with Journey "Escape" and REO Speedwagon "High Infidelity". In retrospect it wasn't a bad compromise since those two were my second choices. My parents eventually couldn't live with those two albums either.

Quote Originally Posted by newking70 View Post
    where do you live
    SouthWest Minnesota in a rural community near a lake. The only thing of consequence to ever happen in this area are Laura Ingles Wilder lived in a nearby community called Walnut Grove and two miles across the lake, there is a place called slaughter slew where the Sioux Uprising began. The Sioux slaughtered a bunch of white settlers and that is what led up to Custer at Little Bighorn.
    what's your job?
    I used to be a Network Engineer and a part time technical instructor in IT. I haven't been able to find a job in IT since 2002, so technically my life ended in 2002, I just haven't died yet. Since 2006 I have been a full time student working on a number of Masters Degrees.

Education?
    AA Degree = General Education
    BA Degree = International Relations/Social Sciences
    AAS Degree = Computer Networking
    MBA = IT Project Management
    MS = Technology Management

I have two classes left to get another Masters in Computer Security. I was going for a Doctorate, but I don't see any use in writing a thesis.

why do you have the goat of mendez in your signature?

Talking Re: The Well LXIII: Abandon faith, all ye who enter here!

why do you have the goat of mendez in your signature?
    I was bored one day and I was looking at ascii art. It started out as Jesus, but I'm dislexic.

What do you think of the Acer Mini?
    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou

Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    What do you think of the Acer Mini?
    The price is pretty good and I like the specs, but I really know nothing about its performance in service?

It would seem to me the market would be people wanting more than a PDA, but less than a laptop. This market is usually populated by Pocket PC's. Since it runs XP it will support better applications than a Pocket PC running Windows Mobile. I can understand the appeal of a sub-miniature laptop, but I question whether it might be unusable for long term use due to its small keyboard and screen? Although it would be easier to use than a Pocket PC.

If I was to purchase a new laptop or a data device smaller than a laptop I would want the ability to access wireless wide area networks with at least 3G speeds. Currently there's a gap where laptops can have 3G add on cards and smartphones have access to 3G networks, but Pocket PC's, sub-miniature laptops and PDA's lack 3G connectivity.

Personally I would be looking for something with full featured applications, small size, light weight, mobility and nationwide access to wireless 3G data communications. If I was a traveling businessman I wouldn't be happy with a computing device that couldn't access the Internet or corporate VPN's.

salted nut roll or payday?

salted nut roll or payday?
    I like chocolate, so I would say payday. I used to like salted nut roll's, but now they give me heartburn.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post

I wonder how many people got that.

So why did you choose the plaque above the gates of hell for your well title?

And are we to expect wailing and gnashing of teeth if we open this thread and have our sound up?

Or considering that the well shifts from person to person is the torment to be temporal?

I've also noticed many of your images and metaphors are laced with belief oriented content.
    Is this conscious or based on some form of interest that manifests visually?
    You asked all the right questions! I will answer them tomorrow, even if it means the death of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post

I wonder how many people got that.

So why did you choose the plaque above the gates of hell for your well title?

And are we to expect wailing and gnashing of teeth if we open this thread and have our sound up?

Or considering that the well shifts from person to person is the torment to be temporal?

I've also noticed many of your images and metaphors are laced with belief oriented content.
    Is this conscious or based on some form of interest that manifests visually?
    I am an atheist and I completely reject the entire Judeo/Christian tradition. The goat in my signature is a picture and a persons beliefs give it meaning. I donít believe in Satan or hell, because they are Judeo/Christian concepts. I would never accept Satanism, because for so many people its expression is merely Christianity inverted. If I use religious lingo it is a tongue in cheek expression of contempt, not piety.

I was raised Christian (Lutheran) and from an early age absolutely none of it made any sense to me! Religion to me was against everything I believed in truth, justice, reason and free will. Guilt/shame was a big motivation in my family and guilt/shame was a form of control. My parents were guilted/shamed by their parents and so on, so on. The message was always you wonít do this, because you are a good boy and you donít want to bring shame upon your family. The absolute worst thing anyone could do was to be talked about and judged! I saw how my grandmothers manipulated my parents and I experienced the same manipulation through my parents and grandmothers. Everything was predicated on the presupposition of guilt/shame! I was suppose to feel bad about what someone else had done and use it as a lesson for me not to do the same thing. I could never figure out why I should be judged for someone elseís actions?

The church I was raised in was about materialism and classism not about religion, religion was a product to be purchased. The church I went to actually segregated seating with velvet ropes and ushers. The first five rows were for old money families; the next five were for new money families. The segregation also extended to Sunday school where the children of wealthy families were seated in the front rows and everyone else had to stand.

As an adult I have had to deal with a lot of people trying to categorize and label me. Beliefs have always been a big topic of discussion among my friends and they have labeled me as ďreligiousĒ even though I categorically denounce all the children of Abraham. They canít believe a person could be moral, fair or compassionate without religion. Really itís not about me being religious as much as their inability to understand anything outside of the context of religion.

As an adult I tried to reconcile what I had been taught versus what I believed. Eventually it just boiled down to religion was a choice that was made for me! I didnít consent to be baptized, I didnít choose my religion, I didnít choose the church and the church didnít represent my values. When I reached that level of understanding I resolved to rethink everything I had ever been taught or learned. I was going to make my own choices and I was going to form my own beliefs. Do my beliefs make any sense? Probably not, but their my own!

neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar

So, you are not religious?
    My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special(neck)) ->

BadHoarsie1 -> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12