Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Well LXVII : Bass_Bear Be Chosen

Default Re: The Well LXVII : Bass_Bear Be Chosen

Quote Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
    +1 for Jamerson's Funk Machine. I'd play it on mission-critical work only (recordings, TV/film, etc.), not the bar band scene.

Let's say company X came up to you and said, "We want to make your signature bass. Any feature you desire, in whatever materials you choose." Describe that instrument.
    Wow....okay where to start.

Well first of all, I would have to go with with a bolt on maple neck, ebony fretboard and it would most definitely be Jazz sized (thinner at the nut). Probably a 70's head just because I love the hugeness of them, locking tuners! As far as the body is concerned, I would probably go with a really dark and thin mahogany body, with a natural/mat burst, very slight, very sleek. My hardware would probably look something like the combination of the music man humbucker and a really hot jazz at the bridge. It would be active, most definitely, and to top it all off, in the metal brace which holds the bolts at the rear of the neck, I would have the engraving of a 'V' for Victor Frankenstein (basically it would be my monster).

J
    Don't let the bottom drop...

Quote Originally Posted by phil_104 View Post
    In extreme cases though, herbs and talking to imaginary friends don't always cut it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashayritto View Post
    Bass Bear understands the square piece in a round hole dilemma more than anyone

Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Wait...you mean this is NOT you

I would be disillusioning myself to think I was as cute as a cub.

J

In extreme cases though, herbs and talking to imaginary friends don't always cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by dd12939 View Post
    Melissa Auf der Maur? Paz Lenchantin? Gail Ann Dorsey? Tal Wilkenfeld?
    Gail Ann Dorsay, no contest, whatsoever! That woman is amazing, not only can she play the pocket like nobody's business, but she can sing beautifully as well. Watch this video and you'll understand!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLDV0A-w1Es

J

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    desert island. you can have either a boombox with an unlimited supply of power and all the barry manilow tapes ever made, or a TV with an unlimited supply of power that cycles all the episodes of mama's family over and over.

which do you choose?
    Hmmm....This is by far the hardest question yet. I'm going to assume two things: one I'm alone and two there is no hope for me to fix the tv for anything else but mama's family. Well considering these two things, I'm going to go with my apparently soon to be good friend Barry Manilow. Here are the reasons why:
    1 - When I actually build my bass from coconut trees and palm leaves, I'll be able to jam out to Barry.
    2 - I'm assuming I'll be there for a while and considering this, Barry will be able to help me keep myself company
    3 - And lastly, because if I ever do get off the island, I will be a hit with every single 40 year old widowed or abandoned lover in the world, may not be the best but hey its something.

J

Quote Originally Posted by super rad ska View Post
    if you could any one bass, any one amp, and any two effects, what would they be?
    Any one bass, gonna have to go with The Funk Machine as stated earlier, assuming of course I have a legion of bodyguards to protect it and me.

As far as amps are concerned, I'm only just now starting to discover this vast and complex world, but I'm gonna have to go with Eden's WT800C amp sitting on D810RP cab, probably also pushing a D215XLT. This monster rig would be so awesome it wouldn't blow the clothes off everyone on the first row, but it would choose only the hot women and blow their clothes clean off!

As far as effects are concerned, I love the raw sound of a bass the way it was made and wouldn't taint it with effects....yet!

J

If you could live anywhere in the world, money is not an object, where would it be?

Canada, honestly, I would have a bigger house, a bigger back yard and probably move out to the East where there are mountains, but in the end I love my country to much to think otherwise. Who would rightly move away from here?

What's your favorite news channel?

Without getting political, I'm gonna leave to Adrienne Rich to explain that

'False history gets made all day, any day,
    the truth of the new is never on the news'

Whats your favorite tv channel?

Gonna have to go with TSN here on this one, although I have satellite and sometimes the public service channels have some really good concerts on, like Bob Dylan's 1965 concert which I believe was at the Royal Albert Hall.

How do you drink your coffee?

No coffee, a green tea once in a while, nothing in it of course!

whats your favorite soda?

Dr.Pepper is pretty good, but nothing beats a beer.

J
    Last edited by Bass_Bear; 04-27-2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: HOLY HUGE PICTURE BATMAN!

Her Little Mojo Minion DankStar's Avatar

The Force is strong in this one.

If you think the force is strong with him on here, you should hear his bass playing.

Alright the ultimate question : Considering your current situation in music, would you rather find :

A ) A down to earth, non-egotistical lead singer.
    B ) An intelligent, musical drummer.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

If you think the force is strong with him on here, you should hear his bass playing.

Alright the ultimate question : Considering your current situation in music, would you rather find :

A ) A down to earth, non-egotistical lead singer.
    B ) An intelligent, musical drummer.
    A hypothetical question indeed, considering both of the aforementioned are about as common as the do-do bird. That being said, the things I would do or give for a drummer of that description would make a hardened criminal blush.

J

I'll take it!

J

What is your biggest fear?

What is your biggest accomplishment?

What is your most desired profession?

What do you dislike most about your current rig?

what do you like most about your current right?

what specifically brought you to the SD forum?

If you could have an hour long conversation with anyone, past or present, who would it be and why?
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

So ... why "bear"? What qualities do you have that you perceive as being bear-like?

Quote Originally Posted by beandip View Post

If you could have an hour long conversation with anyone, past or present, who would it be and why?
    Man....just pouring them on!

That's a tough one, I'll let you know when I find out. I treat problems prett rationally so fear doesn't overcome very often.

Well I'm still young and definitely not naive enough to believe I've had a hard life and have had any serious adversity to overcome, that being said I think my ability to balance my life's priorities to keep myself and the people around me happy is something that not everyone can claim to have done. So yeah, I guess that would be it.

Well I'm currently completing University and am going on to become a high school teacher, and to be honest, I think I'll be happy doing this. Don't get me wrong however, I would certainly take a professional bass playing position if it came along.

My amp. I'm fixing to change it, but for the moment I'm running a combo which does not do justice to the music. Don't get me wrong, I got a great deal on the combo and it has and keeps serving me quite well, but I think I'm ready to move on to bigger and better things.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume you meant 'rig' here and tell you that my main bass to me is precious. I got a great deal on it, and honestly don't foresee a need to upgrade for a while.

Well as most of the regulars know, I'm Phil_104's bassist. That being said his constant referral to this site, along with the fact that I decided to grab me some SD pickups basically meant that I had to join and see what it was all about. Just like most here, I'm now pretty much addicted to it, and wouldn't have it any other way!

Well I'm a English Lit student, and I'm unable to decide whether it would be Lord George Gordon Byron or Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Both of these men presented a view of the world which basically transcends materialism and its something which would be absolutely awesome to hear them talk about!

J

Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    So ... why "bear"? What qualities do you have that you perceive as being bear-like?
    Actually this is a pretty interesting question. I wasn't lying when I said a bear would be good to describe me. Basically, and I'm going to try and be relatively humble here, I chose the bear for 3 different reasons. One, because like me it's a big and imposing creature, I'm not one to throw my size around but it comes in handy sometimes and mostly it's part of me. Secondly, because I, and it would seem most people around me consider me intelligent, and the bear is quite an intelligent creature! On those two facts you would say 'well why not an elephant, reputably the biggest and most intelligent mammals?' To that I would answer that the bear, unlike the elephant to me is representative of Canada. I'm proud to be Canadian (I'm also starting to sound like a beer commercial) and so I figure this combo of qualities seem pretty fitting.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bear View Post
    Actually this is a pretty interesting question. I wasn't lying when I said a bear would be good to describe me. Basically, and I'm going to try and be relatively humble here, I chose the bear for 3 different reasons. One, because like me it's a big and imposing creature, I'm not one to throw my size around but it comes in handy sometimes and mostly it's part of me. Secondly, because I, and it would seem most people around me consider me intelligent, and the bear is quite an intelligent creature! On those two facts you would say 'well why not an elephant, reputably the biggest and most intelligent mammals?' To that I would answer that the bear, unlike the elephant to me is representative of Canada. I'm proud to be Canadian (I'm also starting to sound like a beer commercial) and so I figure this combo of qualities seem pretty fitting.

J
    Good answer.

I could picture a bear playing the bass, whereas an elephant would really have no hope. Elephants are better suited to brass and woodwind instruments.

Or a large bass drum!

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bear View Post
    Gail Ann Dorsay, no contest, whatsoever! That woman is amazing, not only can she play the pocket like nobody's business, but she can sing beautifully as well. Watch this video and you'll understand!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLDV0A-w1Es

J
    Yeah, I have that DVD. It blows my mind every time!

Quote Originally Posted by dd12939 View Post
    Yeah, I have that DVD. It blows my mind every time!
    Gives me shivers every time she goes into the song.

J

what's your all time favorite ride?
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Quote Originally Posted by beandip View Post
    what's your all time favorite ride?
    Ummm...Cowgirl?

J