Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Well LXXXII: Fender_Punk Sees The Well As Half Full

Default Re: The Well LXXXII: Fender_Punk Sees The Well As Half Full

I'm currently listening to "How Could Hell Be Any Worse" by Bad Religion. What do you think about that album?

Who are the bands and musicians who have been most influential in your own development as a musician?

Why is it that you answered t4d's question "tell us one thing that is not true today but that is likely to be true about you in 5 years but that you hope to avoid?" with 'Death'?
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom 5/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Duncan Distortion, SP90-1/SP90-2

Quote Originally Posted by Fender_Punk View Post
    I kind of miss the hollow-body, it was all-maple except the rosewood fretboard, but there were a few dead frets and the Strat I traded it for has nice neck and middle pickups, comfy neck and no dead frets, just want to replace the bridge pickup and I'll start using it more.

The two Teles are really neck in neck, can't really pick a favourite. I guess the Fender is a bit more versatile in the tones it can coax but the Squier having the Phat Cat is heavier and crunchier under the same amount of gain, and has a couple nice clean tones, but not as great as the Fender in that department. The necks are the same shape but the Fender is a tad thicker, both feel great though. Both have alder bodies, the Squier being a bit lighter, no more than a pound lighter though. In terms of craftsmanship the '90s Korean Squier (Standard series) seems on par with the '04 MIM Fender.
    all maple? shame it needed so much work, the photo's cool

interesting re the teles; have you considered putting the fender neck on the squier?

Ultimate Tone Slacker elscorcho's Avatar

If you could only play one guitar for the rest of your life, but could pick(or create) anything, what would it be...be specific....
    Last edited by elscorcho; 08-30-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: typo

BerriesAndCreamologist Fender_Punk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    I'm currently listening to "How Could Hell Be Any Worse" by Bad Religion. What do you think about that album?
    The same thing I think about EVERY other Bad Religion album; "MAN THIS %$*#@!^ ROCKS!!"

Who are the bands and musicians who have been most influential in your own development as a musician?
    The biggest is probably The Clash. I've been listening to them as far back as I have memories, and the lyrics speak to me while the music pleases my ears. Joe Strummer is also a big influence on me picking up a Telecaster, although Hefe from NOFX, The Specials, Strza of Leftover Crack, East bay Ray of Dead Kennedys, Tragically Hip, and Gang of Four all played a part in that too.

Other bands/artists who have influenced my playing and/or gear tastes are Anti-Flag, The Ramones, Bad Religion, Mescaleros, The Jam, Bouncing Souls, Good Riddance, Against Me! Operation Ivy, Sublime, Nirvana, Rancid, Rage Against The Machine, Nine Inch Nails, Motorhead, Foo Fighters, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Robert Johnson, Johnny Cash, Simon & Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, and Woodie Guthrie....

Why is it that you answered t4d's question "tell us one thing that is not true today but that is likely to be true about you in 5 years but that you hope to avoid?" with 'Death'?
    5 years from now will be 2014. It's also not true today that I'm dead and it's something I'd like to avoid but with all the possible ways to die in this world and my goals on affecting society it could be likely to happen.
    LISTEN/DOWNLOAD MY MUSIC!
    "Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst F Telecaster. GFS Neovin(b), Duncan Designed HB102(n)
    "Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
    "Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
    "Joy" "Vintage" 1100N Dreadnought
    AMPS!
    Traynor Custom Special 50W combo. 1x12" Vintage 30
    Mark Bass Little Mark II 500W head
    Traynor TC115 bass cabinet

Talking Re: The Well LXXXII: Fender_Punk Sees The Well As Half Full

Quote Originally Posted by dr. ad View Post
    all maple? shame it needed so much work, the photo's cool

interesting re the teles; have you considered putting the fender neck on the squier?
    Nah, I like them each how they are now, no need to swap necks.

Quote Originally Posted by elscorcho View Post
    If you could only play one guitar for the rest of your life, but could pick(or create) anything, what would it be...be specific....
    It would be a honey blonde blackguard Telecaster with an ash body with a shallow waist contour. All maple 1 piece neck, thick C shape. SD 1/4 lb Tele bridge pickup with a Phat Cat neck pickup and 4-way Tele switch. bridge would be vintage with compensated brass saddles and control plate would be reversed. Bone nut and locking tuners.
    "Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst F Telecaster. GFS Neovin(b), Duncan Designed HB102(n)
    AMPS!

Ultimate Tone Member

I noticed you have a sunburst by the name of Sunny Jim. Is this partly based on Keith Richards "Sonny" 1974 sunburst tele?

Also, If you had to choose between a relic telecaster, would you choose Keith Richards "Micawber" or Springsteen "Tele-Esquire"?

Smile Re: The Well LXXXII: Fender_Punk Sees The Well As Half Full

Quote Originally Posted by StalePretzel View Post
    I noticed you have a sunburst by the name of Sunny Jim. Is this partly based on Keith Richards "Sonny" 1974 sunburst tele?

Nope, I just have a friend who's mom will call people Sonny or Sonny Jim and one time after being called such I thought it'd make a good name. I spell it Sunny as a pun on it being Sunburst.

Also, If you had to choose between a relic telecaster, would you choose Keith Richards "Micawber" or Springsteen "Tele-Esquire"?
    Good question. If I chose Micawber could it have the Low E pole piece put back in it's pickups and strung with all 6 strings? If so I'd take Micawber as it has a humbucker in the neck. If I had to take either guitar "as-is" and leave it as such, I'd take the Tele-Esquire.
    AMPS!

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar

Great Well so far!

Talking Re: The Well LXXXII: Fender_Punk Sees The Well As Half Full

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    Great Well so far!
    Thanks. Now what is it you want to ask??

Gee this well-holding business is easier than it looked. Or are you guys just going easy on me?
    AMPS!

Any more questions?
    AMPS!

If there's one thing that you could say to one person (alive or dead) with no consiquenses, what would it be?

You've graduated school, do you have any plans to get formal training (college, vo tech)?
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Quote Originally Posted by beandip View Post
    If there's one thing that you could say to one person (alive or dead) with no consiquenses, what would it be?
    Tricky question, but a good one. I would tell Jacque Fresco (living, age: 93) that I love his designs and hope to help bring about and live in a resource-based economy.

Quote Originally Posted by beandip View Post
    You've graduated school, do you have any plans to get formal training (college, vo tech)?
    I am going to apply to college this winter to start next year. I want to take audio production/engineering and work either at a studio or a live venue. The colleges I'm looking to apply to all teach studio production/engineering, mastering, scoring sound to film, and live sound.
    AMPS!

Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar

operation ivy or rancid? why?

the specials or english beat?

do you think no doubt is trying really hard to be blondie?
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Quote Originally Posted by super rad stuff View Post
    operation ivy or rancid? why?
    Operation Ivy. I like ALL of their songs, whereas Rancid I like MOST of their songs (granted Rancid has put out more albums).

Quote Originally Posted by super rad stuff View Post
    the specials or english beat?
    That's even harder. I was raised on both but I do listen to the Specials a bit more than the Beat, so The Specials.

do you think no doubt is trying really hard to be blondie?[/QUOTE]

No doubt. I used to have respect for them until Gwen broke up the band to put out horrible pop music for 10 year olds. They could never be (like) Blondie though.
    AMPS!