Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guest Luthier - Patrick Cummings of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Guest Luthier - Patrick Cummings of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom)

Please welcome Patrick Cummings, President and co-founder of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom Guitars). Not only are iGuitars amazing sounding and playing solid body electrics, but they feature piezo, 13 pin and USB connectivity that offer the player unparalleled ease of recording and access to unlimited sounds.

About iGuitar.USB: The current iGuitar.USB system is built into your guitar and sends two channels of CD quality streaming digital audio, one for magnetic pickups and one for piezo pickups and eliminates the need for an external audio interface when recording to your computer (requires MAC OSX or Windows Vista or higher)

Oh, and Pat's a smokin' guitar and mandolin player.

As with last week, one lucky randomly selected winner will have their guitar picked up, get a choice of Duncan pickups, a factory set up by Pat, and an iGuitar USB upgrade (that itself is a $300 value). Same rules as last week apply - it must be a decent instrument and USA addresses only (sorry).

Please give a warm welcome to Pat Cummings!
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

Default Re: LIVE NOW - Patrick Cummings of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom)

First off, id like to welcome you here and give a big thanks for doing this.

You guys are probably one of the most innovative guitar companies out there. Is there one thing in particular you think you, brian and kevin came up with which really helped you break into a very established market?

As president of the company, do you still get any hands on time in the shop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Mojo's Minions

Default Re: LIVE NOW - Patrick Cummings of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom)

Welcome to the forum!

How does your system prevent latency issues when recording multiple guitar parts?

Are there plans to introduce your own recording, amp modeling, etc software?

What guitar is your #1, the one that you just can't put down and always come back too?

Ultimate Tone Slacker elscorcho's Avatar

[QUOTE=ericmeyer4;2268778]
    Are there plans to introduce your own recording, amp modeling, etc software?[QUOTE]

Thanks for talking the time to be here! I was plannining on asking about software plans, too! As someone who is basically afraid of this technology, I'm hoping you may be able to further simplify the software part of the equation as you have w/ the guitar/interface scenario.....Is there maybye a "turnkey" package in the works?

Welcome, Patrick.

Where do you see the future of guitar amp modeling going?

What's your typical rig when using a iGuitar hooked up via USB to a computer?

Thanks.
    Erik

Super Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    Welcome, Patrick.

Where do you see the future of guitar amp modeling going?

What's your typical rig when using a iGuitar hooked up via USB to a computer?

Thanks.
    Erik
    Guitar amp modeling has come quite far already.
    I imagine that future modeling will capture even more of the 'essence' or 'vibe' of a real tube amp. When that time comes, I hope to recreate my entire rig and consolidate it on a small device. Then I can show up at the gig running everything on the iPhone: ) ( at my age carrying heavy amps is getting very old!)

My typical rig consists of an iGuitar (with both 13 pin and USB) a GI-20 and MAC - watch this video demo created by one of the engineers on the John Lennon Bus - http://media.jlsc.com/schedule/2005/...newiguitar.mp4
    Last edited by Patrick Cummings; 09-16-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo and add comment
    Patrick G. Cummings
    President
    iGuitar, Inc.
    www.iguitar.com
    patrick@iguitar.com

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Cummings View Post
    Guitar amp modeling has come quite far already.
    I imagine that future modeling will capture even more of the 'essence' or 'vibe' of a real tube amp. When that time comes, I hope to recreate my entire rig and consolidate it on a small device. Then I can show up at the gig running everything on the iPhone: ) ( at my age carrying heavy amps is getting very old!)

My typical rig consists of an iGuitar (with both 13 pin and USB) a GI-20 and MAC - watch this video demo created by one of the engineers on the John Lennon Bus - http://media.jlsc.com/schedule/2005/...newiguitar.mp4
    That's really really cool. I could spend hours upon hours messing with that setup.

Super Toneologist

[QUOTE=elscorcho;2268790][QUOTE=ericmeyer4;2268778]

Thanks for talking the time to be here! I was plannining on asking about software plans, too! As someone who is basically afraid of this technology, I'm hoping you may be able to further simplify the software part of the equation as you have w/ the guitar/interface scenario.....Is there maybye a "turnkey" package in the works?
    ----

We have thought about creating our own software, amp modeling, software.,etc but there are many great solutions available already and the market is already quite crowded. Just like when we started our business,we thought about making our own pickups, but decided to go with the already esatblished and excellent pickup makers like Seymour Duncan.

----

We can certainly understand 'being afraid' of techology, that is what we designed the iGuitar to be incredibly easy to use. Not all software is as easy to use. We have found that the software in Apples Garageband program is the easiest to use. The 'turnkey solution' would be an iGuitar and a MAC. When customers purchase an iGuitar from us factory direct, we schedule a start up call with you, take you through the basic set up and get you making music and recording with software instruments. This helps overcome the 'fear' part and gives you the confidence to use these incredible new creative tools.
    Patrick G. Cummings
    President
    iGuitar, Inc.
    www.iguitar.com
    patrick@iguitar.com

Super Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by ericmeyer4 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

How does your system prevent latency issues when recording multiple guitar parts?

What guitar is your #1, the one that you just can't put down and always come back too?
    Eric,
    Our guitars feature individual a piezo pickups for each string, either RMC or Graphtech Ghost. Using a piezo to capture string information for conversion to midi has a quicker response than the externally mounted magnetic (GK type of) pickups and results in lower latency.

We have thought about creating our own software, amp modeling, software.,etc but there are many great solutions available already and the market is already quite crowded. Just like when we started our business,we thought about making our own pickups, but decided to go with the already esatblished and excellent pickup makers like Seymour Duncan.

It is very, very hard to answer the 'favorite guitar' question because it really depends on what type of music or song in that moment. I can reduce it to a few. My main and most versatile 'go to' guitar is an early C-90P.13 as shown here http://iguitar.com/CustomShop/custom.asp - it is HSH,
    I can get a JAZZ jazz tone with a combination of the Neck hum and RMC piezo bridge, amazing "stratish flavors" by tapping the hums and combining with the singles and of course a screaming lead tone from the JB (through my Groove Tube Solo 75)

Neck pickup is a Seymour Duncan Alnico II:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...ph1_alnico_ii/

Middle pickup is Seymour Duncan Alnico II single:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...nico_ii_pro_f/

Bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan JB:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/product.../sh4_jb_model/

The goal of the C-90 design was to give you the following '7 really cool and useable' sound combinations, most guitarists rarely use more than 3!

1 - Neck humbucker
    2 - Neck humbucker split and middle (in the classic Stratty realm)
    3- Neck humbucker split and Bridge hum split ( 2 singles - in the classic Tele realm )
    4 - Bridge humbucker split and middle (the other classic Stratty realm)
    5 - Bridge humbucker
    1A - Neck and Bridge humbucker
    2A - Neck humbucker split, middle and Bridge
    The push/pull knob on the C-90P is not a coil tap, it 'adds' the bridge humbucker to the whatever the 5 way switch is doing.
    (see enclosed pick up configuration sheet)

In Position 1A, the 5 way switch gives you the the neck humbucker, by pulling the push/pull knob it 'adds' the bridge humbucker.

In Position 2A, the 5 way switch give you the the neck humbucker automatically tapped as a single coil and the middle single together. Again, by pulling the push/pull knob it 'adds' the bridge humbucker so in 2A you get single, single, hum all three at the same time.

I also use this guitar in combination with a 13pin system (GR-33 and VGA-7 amp ) where there are limitless, limitless, creative tonal possibilities.

We have a number of artists that have adopted the mag/piezo combination. I showed this combo to Russ Freeman from the Rippingtons and it has become a signature tone for him. John Abercrombie has also adopted this mag/piezo combo and it can be heard on many of his recordings, John prefers the Graphtech. Burr Johnson, another amazing guitarist, adn Axon endorser also prefers the Graphtech system

Ray Memmel did the Universe inlay (with emphasis on MARS on the 12th fret

Other 'go to' guitars include:

DC/1 Serial #2
    P-5 Mandolin Serial #1
    Green iGuitar9.13 model - I used this at every major trade show, NAMM, Frankfurt, etc. from 2000 thru 2005 it is like and old friend.
    Red iGuitar8.13. USB - my first USB model and a truly special guitar
    and lastly a C-90P.USB - this is my working sample on our next generation of iGuitar.USB
    Patrick G. Cummings
    President
    iGuitar, Inc.
    www.iguitar.com
    patrick@iguitar.com

Super Toneologist

Hi Evan,
    Thank you for inviting me to be a guest in this forum.
    I would like to extend a special welcome to the folks on the west coast who are up at 7am practicing their guitar!

Which guitar is the favorite of your collection...your #1? (whether it's an iGuitar or not) Pics would be sweet!

When people think or say "iGuitar" what is the one thing you want them to think of first?

What's the best compliment you've ever received about your guitars?

thanks,
    mike
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Super Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    Which guitar is the favorite of your collection...your #1? (whether it's an iGuitar or not) Pics would be sweet!

When people think or say "iGuitar" what is the one thing you want them to think of first?

What's the best compliment you've ever received about your guitars?

thanks,
    mike
    Hoss, I just posted a lengthy reply and link about 'go to' guitars, which should answer your first question

I thought of the 'iGuitar' name back in 1998 and subsequently trademarked it. As we began to offer more technology in our guitars, such as piezo, 13pin and even 5 pin midi ( briefly ) I realized that to many guitarists, the word 'MIDI' carried some negative feel (mostly because they probably tried an early midi guitar setup in the 80's and did not like it)

So, with the iGuitar name, we wanted guitarists to think: a new, fun type of versatile guitar, connecting them to both hardware synths and the desktop music environment, either MAC or PC.

The best compliment that we continue to receive about our guitars is when it becomes their 'go to' guitar. As a small company, it is huge when a customer says "this is all I play, I sold my ______"
    Patrick G. Cummings
    President
    iGuitar, Inc.
    www.iguitar.com
    patrick@iguitar.com

Patrick,

Thanks for taking the time to do stuff like this for us guys. There are a few of us here who are aspiring builders and repairmen (such as myself) and feel it's a great opportunity that we wouldn't otherwise have.

What got you started in building in the first place?

What sets iGuitar instruments apart from the rest save for the computer stuff?

When you were a smaller builder, what was the most overrated tool in your shop? Underrated?

Evan says you're a mando player, as am I. What's in your 8 string closet?

What advice would you give to the young builder to really push him on?

If you could go back in time to any one builders shop, who would it be?

What would you like to see next for iGuitar?

Is iGuitar user friendly for tech handicapped like myself?
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Super Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by beandip View Post
    Patrick,

Thanks for taking the time to do stuff like this for us guys. There are a few of us here who are aspiring builders and repairmen (such as myself) and feel it's a great opportunity that we wouldn't otherwise have.

What got you started in building in the first place?

What sets iGuitar instruments apart from the rest save for the computer stuff?

When you were a smaller builder, what was the most overrated tool in your shop? Underrated?

Evan says you're a mando player, as am I. What's in your 8 string closet?

What advice would you give to the young builder to really push him on?

If you could go back in time to any one builders shop, who would it be?

What would you like to see next for iGuitar?

Is iGuitar user friendly for tech handicapped like myself?

I got started because my two main interests have always been music and electronics, I repaired my first guitar when I was 10 ( thank you Radio Shack ) and always wanted to know how things worked. I began to work on guitar and amp repairs for my guitar students and friends - later went to work for GIbson and then founded Brian Moore and finally iGuitar, Inc.

-----

The things that sets the iGuitar apart aside from the technology are the same unique design elements we use in our custom shop:

- Comfort: design elements such as the comfort contoured top, sculpted headstock

-Quality: it is manufactured in an ISO 9002 certified factory and then we add Sperel tuners and Seymour Duncan pickups

- Setup: every guitar is set up and inspected at out NY faciity. Each guitar goes though the same detailed check list as our custom shop guitars.

-----

Our most overrated tool: the cylindrical top cutter (glorified router)
    Most underrated - the original MC1 output jack snake tool

-----

I have several mandos, my top instuments are my own P5 model
    http://iguitar.com/CustomShop/Custom....asp?guitar=P5
    an old Gibson Style A, an old Flatiron built by Steve Carlson before he sold to Gibson and a Breedlove

----

My advice to a younger luthier would be to learn from the masters, do what you love to do, design and create and experiment. We all learn from our failed attempts, they are usually our best teachers.

----

If I could go back in time to a builders shop it would probably be Lloyd Loars shop where he created the early mandolin family instruments.

----

The next steps for iGuitar will included built in USB Midi, and a complete USB wireless system

----

Our iGuitar.USB is 'plug and play; it is veyr user friendly
    I received two US Patents so far and they are all based on making the 'guitar-to-computer' experience EASY

See patents #7,241,948, & 7,563,977

http://www.google.com/patents?id=boa...age&q=&f=false
    Last edited by Patrick Cummings; 09-16-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo
    Patrick G. Cummings
    President
    iGuitar, Inc.
    www.iguitar.com
    patrick@iguitar.com

Welcome to this forum and thanks for sharing your time. When I think of Brian Moore guitars I instantly think of high tech innovation. How do you plan to evolve the electric guitar in the future? Can we expect partnerships sharing technology between companies like Seymour Duncan and a company like Brian Moore Guitars or now your iGuitars company?

Super Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion1 View Post
    Welcome to this forum and thanks for sharing your time. When I think of Brian Moore guitars I instantly think of high tech innovation. How do you plan to evolve the electric guitar in the future? Can we expect partnerships sharing technology between companies like Seymour Duncan and a company like Brian Moore Guitars or now your iGuitars company?
    Based on our issued patents, our next steps are built-in USB Midi and a complete USB wireless system

see patents #7,241,948, & 7,563,977

http://www.google.com/patents?id=boa...age&q=&f=false

We will certainly work with Seymour Duncan on the magnetic pickups for our next genertion iGuitar.
    Patrick G. Cummings
    President
    iGuitar, Inc.
    www.iguitar.com
    patrick@iguitar.com

Ultimate Tone Slacker ganzosrevenge's Avatar

What was Brian Moore like as the name behind iGuitar

Can an iGuitar be played normally, guitar to amp,

What advice do you have for those of us who in the future may wish to implant computer-tech into a guitar, such as an onboard phaser or flanger

is there a product in the works that would let the guitar record and store itself (like an onboard recorder with a small flash drive) and then you can play that back through the guitar, and then play over yourself?

Jason
    <--- these guys fight, so we can enjoy large tracts of land

Super Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by ganzosrevenge View Post
    What was Brian Moore like as the name behind iGuitar

Can an iGuitar be played normally, guitar to amp,

What advice do you have for those of us who in the future may wish to implant computer-tech into a guitar, such as an onboard phaser or flanger

is there a product in the works that would let the guitar record and store itself (like an onboard recorder with a small flash drive) and then you can play that back through the guitar, and then play over yourself?

Jason
    Yes, the iGuitar has a standard 1/4" jack and can be played to a standard guitar amp. You can also plug stereo jack and send both magnetic and piezo acoustic to separate amps ( piezo sounds best through an acoustic amp or PA)

There are many types of devices that can be installed in a guitar, just be aware of how much current it draws lest you be changing batteries too often.

There are already some products out there with built in mp3 recorders such as the Ovation iDea guitar ( check their site for exact details)
    Patrick G. Cummings
    President
    iGuitar, Inc.
    www.iguitar.com
    patrick@iguitar.com

welcome, Patrick

i've been playing a brian moore i88.13 guitar (albeit a relatively low priced import) for years and enjoy it very much ...

do you have any plans to offer different neck carves, fingerboard radii, etc as options on your guitars?

also, how much of the tonal properties of the woods, pickups, etc come thru in the USB scenario? does the computer get the full variety of tones or is it more 'uniform' like DI-ing a piezo output ?
    Last edited by tone4days; 09-16-2009 at 08:29 AM.
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Super Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by tone4days View Post
    welcome, Patrick

i've been playing a brian moore i88.13 guitar (albeit a relatively low priced import) for years and enjoy it very much ...

do you have any plans to offer different neck carves, fingerboard radii, etc as options on your guitars?

also, how much of the tonal properties of the woods, pickups, etc come thru in the USB scenario? does the computer get the full variety of tones or is it more 'uniform' like DI-ing a piezo output ?
    ---

The 88.13 is great budget guitar ( it does not have Duncans however )

---

Yes, we do various neck carves and radii in our custom shop

---

THe USB output is a CD audio quality reproduction of the guitars tone.
    Patrick G. Cummings
    President
    iGuitar, Inc.
    www.iguitar.com
    patrick@iguitar.com