Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone ever Mod their 65 RI Deluxe Reverb?

Default Anyone ever Mod their 65 RI Deluxe Reverb?

Hi Everyone,
    I feel like the RI Deluxe Reverb is a lot brighter in tone than it's original. Has anyone modded their RI Deluxe? If so, what did you do? I'm definitely going to change the Tubes out for JJs and I'm thinking of taking it to a pretty well known amp / guitar modder near Pittsburgh to see if he can change the circuits to emulate the true 65 Deluxe. Any other suggestions / easy self mods out there? Let me know!

Lank

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone ever Mod their 65 RI Deluxe Reverb?

You'll never nail a mid 60's BF Deluixe Reverb sound out of the reissue...there are too many things that need to be changed, it's just not worth it.

New tubes and a speaker upgrade go a long way and if I were you i'd clip the bright cap on the input and call it a day. It'll be a solid sounding amp after that and will be a lot more pleasing to listen to.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking in to the Weber speakers (50watter) so I'll go down that path one more time and figure out what speaker would best suit me. The great thing about it is those mods are very easy and should only cost me about 250-300$. Thanks for the suggestions.

Lank

yup. a good set of tubes and a rebias, a good efficient speaker, then cut the bright cap and call it a day. makes a big difference. even just a rebias and cutting the cap improves things nicely

+1 on the speaker change...that will get you half way to where you want to be AFTER the speaker is broken in.

The rest of the way will require a power supply capacitor change (all of them) and $200 to $300 should cover that.

You will be very surprised as to how closely this will get that RI to sounding like an original. The power supply tweak doesn't change the tone of the amp at lower volumes but it does change how it overdrives. I've done quite a few of these mods to DRs and Vibrolux reissues with great results.

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by lank81 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I feel like the RI Deluxe Reverb is a lot brighter in tone than it's original. Has anyone modded their RI Deluxe? If so, what did you do? I'm definitely going to change the Tubes out for JJs and I'm thinking of taking it to a pretty well known amp / guitar modder near Pittsburgh to see if he can change the circuits to emulate the true 65 Deluxe. Any other suggestions / easy self mods out there? Let me know!

Lank
    The RI Deluxe Reverb is a great amp and simply replacing the speaker with a Celestion G12H30 will make it sound MUCH, MUCH BETTER than any stock mid 60's blackface DR's.

You can also try a real NOS RCA Blackplate 12ax7 in the vibrato channel. Big improvement over anything being made today.

If you want even more out of it, send your amp to my brother Bruce (http://www.missionamps.com) and have him do all the tweaks that he did to my real blackface Fender DR.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 11-11-2009 at 08:33 PM.

I've been thinking about snagging a DRRI myself. Last time I played through one I took my Frankenstrat to GC and was testing out a bunch of overdrive pedals. I was using them through a Vox AD50 like mine to get a real world idea of them but curiosity got me and I decided to plug in to the DRRI. I really liked what I heard, especially with the TS9 out front. Very nice tone. I could only imagine what it would be like with a more efficient Celestion in there.

Lew,
    Thanks for the link, I'll definitely look in to the other mods Bruce could do for me. Also, for a newb how hard is it to cut the bright cap? Finally, what are you guys thoughts on the Weber 12F150 speaker or a Hellatone 30 (broken in G12H30)? From what I researched those both seemed like good choices for the speaker replacement. Also, one more question, how do I do a rebias? Sorry, total nub .

Thanks,
    Matt

biasing isnt all that hard but there is potential to get shocked fairly badly.

the hellatone or weber would be a cool speaker, the weber might be a little more "american" sounding but the g12h is a great speaker in that amp

I have an original 67 DR. Got it from a buddy and was never really that happy with it but decided to keep it. About 6 months ago another friend gave me a British made Vintage 30 that had less then 10 hours on it. So i made a new baffle and put it in. It now sounds awesome. DR in general have issues holding the bottom whe you crank thema little. The Vintage 30 is a much more efficient speaker then was ever put in a DR. Mine had a Eminence in it and at low volume was OK but a higher volumes it just wouldn't hold up. The V30 has made a huge difference in this amp. I love it now!
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by Bludave View Post
    I have an original 67 DR. Got it from a buddy and was never really that happy with it but decided to keep it. About 6 months ago another friend gave me a British made Vintage 30 that had less then 10 hours on it. So i made a new baffle and put it in. It now sounds awesome. DR in general have issues holding the bottom whe you crank thema little. The Vintage 30 is a much more efficient speaker then was ever put in a DR. Mine had a Eminence in it and at low volume was OK but a higher volumes it just wouldn't hold up. The V30 has made a huge difference in this amp. I love it now!
    Absolutely! A Celestion is a must in a DR, as far as I'm concerned.

I used a G12M25 until I discovered the Vintage 30 and then used the Vintage 30 in my DR until I discovered the G12H30 that is in it now.

Replacing the stock speaker with a good Celestion gave me the biggest improvement for the buck of anything I could have spent $100. on.

Lew

I concur with all above. Speaker, tubes & bias in that order. I'm not aware of any DXRI Mods, But if someone like say, Mr.Torres. comes up w/t a mod for that amp... I WOULD AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE ! Especially if your not skilled w/t a soldering Iron . The PCB materiel Fender use's in most of their amps Is Unforgiving.

Thanks for the input once again everyone. I think I'll go with the Hellatone 30 (G12H30 30watt-8ohm) speaker suspended for 15 hours so it's more broken in than a straight out of the box G12H30. They run 99$ so that's a sweet price for a nice upgrade. I think I'll get it next week once I get my last payment for recording my buddy's album. Thanks for the help everyone.

Matt

While I'm at it, any tube suggestions? I was looking at good but budget tube swaps and was looking in to this setup:

a matched pair of the JJ 6V6's, a JJ GZ34, four gold pin JJ ECC83S's to replace the 12AX7's and two gold pin JJ ECC81's with one of them being current balanced for the phase inverter in V6 next to the power tubes.

Thanks,
    Matt

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lank81 View Post
    While I'm at it, any tube suggestions? I was looking at good but budget tube swaps and was looking in to this setup:
    a matched pair of the JJ 6V6's, a JJ GZ34, four gold pin JJ ECC83S's to replace the 12AX7's and two gold pin JJ ECC81's with one of them being current balanced for the phase inverter in V6 next to the power tubes.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    I personally don't care for JJ tubes and I flat out HATE their 6V6's...the tone of their 6V6 is all wrong.

If I were re tubing a Deluxe Reverb right now, with all current production tubes I'd use reissue Tung Sol 6V6's, reissue Tung Sol 12AX7's and EH 12AT7's...maybe a JJ GZ34.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

i like the jj power tubes and recto, the jj 6v6 are great and i use them in my bf dr but just so you are aware they dont sound all that much like a typical 6v6. not as sweet sounding and a little louder, not a bad thing but something like the tung sol are more typical 6v6 sounding. i use those in my 5e3 clone.

the jj preamp tubes are fine but i dont love them in v2 which is the first two stages for the vibrato channel (v1 is for the normal channel so unless you are going to use it dont bother with replacing it). i think it is worth getting a good nos tube for v2, i use a ge 5751 cause i want less preamp gain but a good 12ax7 in this spot will start you down the path to good tone.