Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi my name is John Jolly & I'm a NooB

Default Hi my name is John Jolly & I'm a NooB

I've been looking at guitars, since I want to play one, and I really like the looks of those, (is it) Gibson Les Pauls. But I've seen lately that some people have been dissing this company. Is it safe to go with a Gibson Les Paul, or would a Rondo manufactured guitar be a safer bet? Thanks.

Little Johnny.

King Midas to Cheap Guitars dominus's Avatar

Default Re: Hi my name is John Jolly & I'm a NooB

They're perfectly safe, but you'd get a good deal of guitar for the money if you get an Agile.
    "Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." Isaiah 13:16

"Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." Numbers 31:17-18

Want to trade? You go first. I've got over 15,000 feedback as a seller on eBay.

RepententRodentologist darnright's Avatar

I'm worried about you Little Johnny. I think you should enlist one of the older members on this forum to help you make this purchase. We are a little concerned about you traipsing around some big city with guitars in your eyes and your pockets bulging with cash.

-dave
    I don't believe anything I say and only half of what you hear....

Quote Originally Posted by darnright View Post
    I'm worried about you Little Johnny. I think you should enlist one of the older members on this forum to help you make this purchase. We are a little concerned about you traipsing around some big city with guitars in your eyes and your pockets bulging with cash.

-dave
    That's not cash in my pockets Dave & if we got a Cougar around these parts I'd be happy to oblige.

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)

this thread is awesoMEGAytarded
    green globe burned black by sunn

this thread confuses me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    this thread is awesoMEGAytarded
    I'm sorry I don't think you're even remotely qualified
    to make that statement.

Haters Make ME Famous

Peace,

Darrin

the only reason i am confused is because the les paul is one of the most iconic instruments of all time... i don't know if you are joking around or being serious...
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Are you two lads taking the piss out of each other?

Buy a Strat you whooses, it keeps you honest!!!

FWIW it's all in fun

Quote Originally Posted by Will S-T View Post
    Are you two lads taking the piss out of each other?

Buy a Strat you whooses, it keeps you honest!!!

FWIW it's all in fun

lol i was just going to post something about strats.. you beat me to it

as for les paul being iconic, it is true but when people that dont know nothing about guitars think of a guitar i believe it was proven that most think of a strat shape than a les paul shape guitar.. in their minds, to them a "electric guitar" is a strat

Quote Originally Posted by C-Martin View Post
    lol i was just going to post something about strats.. you beat me to it

as for les paul being iconic, it is true but when people that dont know nothing about guitars think of a guitar i believe it was proven that most think of a strat shape than a les paul shape guitar.. in their minds, to them a "electric guitar" is a strat
    Only because of Fender's marketing department, certanly not because of the tinny sound the average guy gets out of his Strat. Other than guitars owned by celebrities, the '58-'60 LP Stds are many times more valuable than Strats from any year. It's called the 'Holy Grail' of guitars, and it's PAF's are widely considered to be the 'Holy Grail' of PU's. Les Pauls are the icon of electric guitars.

true.. very true.. it is the Iconic guitar, and its value goes beyond anything.. I mean i've seen a les paul sell for 365k on ebay sometime last year or so... thats more than what my house cost! lol I wasnt saying anything against that even i have a les paul but i just find a strat more comfortable, versatile and above all else.. it has a whammy bar and say what you want to some, like me, its a important if not essential piece of hardware.. every time ive played my les paul, eventho it sounds amazing, i always feel rather limited and "crippled" by the instrument.. but that's just me others never even touched the thing and play great, i could do the same but my style of playing has evolved in a way that its become an essential part. Getting the les paul axcess GAS again now... lol

Personal preferences aside i stil think people see a strat in they're heads when they think of a electric guitar.. possibly because of so many artists and guitar heros have used em, more than likely most of all the top guitarist have played a strat or fender instrument in their lifetime, some stil use it not because they are forced to or cant afford a gibson, even the guitar hero plastic guitar is a strat with a whammy bar lol
    Last edited by C-Martin; 11-15-2009 at 03:42 AM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Little Johnny - I too am concerned about your personal safety. Just send all your money to me and I'll buy a guitar for you.

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    Only because of Fender's marketing department, certanly not because of the tinny sound the average guy gets out of his Strat. Other than guitars owned by celebrities, the '58-'60 LP Stds are many times more valuable than Strats from any year. It's called the 'Holy Grail' of guitars, and it's PAF's are widely considered to be the 'Holy Grail' of PU's. Les Pauls are the icon of electric guitars.
    Which I guess is why Gibson is making stratocasters now?

You should probably just give up guitar and get a banjo little Johnny.

Johnny beyond the hater comments ....brother its all subjective.....go with what you dig and feels comfortable to the hands and ears
    NOTHING LEADS TO NOTHING

BrandNewGlossologist Diocletian's Avatar

Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSnMettle View Post
    I've been looking at guitars, since I want to play one, and I really like the looks of those, (is it) Gibson Les Pauls. But I've seen lately that some people have been dissing this company. Is it safe to go with a Gibson Les Paul, or would a Rondo manufactured guitar be a safer bet? Thanks.

Little Johnny.

I am on the forefront of bashing Gibson for manufacturing flaws, but I also have to point out that almost all of these flaws do not affect sound or playability - with the notable exception of sticky neck syndrome from incorrectly curved nitro on the back of the neck. Same applies for blatant lies that Gibson tells to their customers such as that a SG std's body is made of max 2 pieces of wood. More pieces don't directly affect sound or playability. But they wreck your resell value.

But any guitar made by anybody can sound like a lemon to you (possibly not to the next guy).

I don't think it is any less safe to buy a Gibson unseen than it is to buy a Fender or PRS. You have the same chance to get a good sounding and playing instrument. But you can easily lose money from getting stuck with flaws that damage resell value.

Other aspects include "pimp-it-up"-ability. A Fender Strat lemon can most of the time be fixed with a new neck. The Tremolo block makes the body wood less important and Strats are highly sensitive to neck construction and woods. So if thingie doesn't do what you want you go through a couple of necks from Ebay. Try that with a Gibson.
    Last edited by uOpt; 11-15-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSnMettle View Post
    I'm sorry I don't think you're even remotely qualified
    to make that statement.

Haters Make ME Famous
    I almost spit my drink all over my computer, lol.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
    Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Sigged.
    Last edited by PoorMan; 11-17-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
    PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post