Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Celestion Vintage 30's are horrible...

Default Re: Celestion Vintage 30's are horrible...

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
    Not for nothing, but my favorite set up is 2 H30s, and 2 greenbacks.
    but the 30's (actually also "greenbacks", but greenback 30's..I think) totally overpower the G12m25's (greenbacks), and have been criticized as a bad combo. for just that reason.The Greenbacks will break up a lot faster than the G12h'30's .not that it won't work, cause obviously it does for you.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

I think it depends on HOW you plan to use them. I have an old Deluxe Reverb from the late 60's (silverface) & I almost gave up on it. It had no headroom at all and broke up really early, so a friend had a british made V30 that I bought from him. Its an old one but had less then 10 hours on it. I made a new baffle & grill and threw it in. I never looked back it worked great. gave me the headroom that I wanted and needed yet it STILL sounded like a Fender!
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

In a sunny place for shady people, Central Ohio

After much experimentation with a lot of the Celestion line I see no reason for me to ever play with anything but a 4x12 (or two) loaded with Greenbacks, they just work for me! I have two Marshall 1960A cabinets loaded with GB's and that was enough to make me stop looking. I will say though that a 4x12 with 2 Vintage 30's and two G12t75's in an "X" pattern sounds pretty dang good too and is a close second to a quad of greenies in my opinion......

Just my $0.02 USD
    Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    but the 30's (actually also "greenbacks", but greenback 30's..I think) totally overpower the G12m25's (greenbacks), and have been criticized as a bad combo. for just that reason.The Greenbacks will break up a lot faster than the G12h'30's .not that it won't work, cause obviously it does for you.
    The H30s are the bass cones (55hz), and the greenies are the lead cones (75hz), so they blend well to my ears.

I am doing up my other 4x12 with some Scumbacks (M55, and M75) to compare.

Once I get all these damn cabs up and running, I am going to have myself a little "shoot out".
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by John Suhr View Post
    Practice cures most tone issues

Super Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by metlking View Post
    After much experimentation with a lot of the Celestion line I see no reason for me to ever play with anything but a 4x12 (or two) loaded with Greenbacks, they just work for me!
    I agree. My only exception is my ISO cab. It sounds great with the GB but that 25w speaker won't handling the pummelling of a plexi for long. I like the Eminence Tonespotter for the Marshalls or a Texas heat for the Fenders in that cab

The Vintage 30 isn't my FAVORITE -- stay tuned for a couple of weeks and you'll see what my fave is/are -- but I'd choose it any day over a G12T75.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...or-for-a-Strat

Ultimate Tone Slacker alteredbeast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bludave View Post
    I think it depends on HOW you plan to use them.
    totally. i like 75's and 30's.

Going by my experiences I'm 1 of the few people that likes V30s with a Splawn Quick Rod (alot of mids and treble).

I'll agree that at lower volume level playing (ie at home or recording) V30s do get quite shrill and ice picky but get them at band rehearsal levels and the frequencies fill out more and they just seem to work.

I really want a 4x12 with 2 V30s and 2 G12Hs, should fit the amp really well.