Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Celestion Vintage 30's are horrible...

Default Celestion Vintage 30's are horrible...

My response is extreme... just so used to G12T75's Realize that some good sounding Greenbacks are in order... maybe WGS Green Berets
    I can see where V30's can have there place... and even if they were not so efficient, I could mix one. I learned a lot during this post.

I knew I always liked GT75's... But now in comparison to V30's they sound like Celestion Blue's!!
    I just purchased a new Egnater 4x12 loaded with V30's and thank God I've got some GT75's that I can use!
    Because I think these V30's sound horrible... It's all those upper mid feq that I never want to hear! They are just ringing with 800 to 1K Yuck!
    Now, If all you care about is cutting through... these will diffidently do that! and very loudly. But...
    Last edited by sonnyblu; 03-24-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    "Play like a Champion"
    PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
    Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
    Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Default Re: Celestion Vintage 30's are horrible...

i know.

a pair of them mixed with something else can be great though. once they break in they do sound better too. having said that, they are a good live speaker. it keeps the tone focused in a fairly narrow range which means you punch thru a mix and stay out of other instruments way. also some amps like them better than others.

some people love them, some hate them. personally they arent my thing but i dont like the 75's either

I absolutely hate them as well.
    - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
    Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
    Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven« of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

I want to try V30's. I've heard you can't go wrong with them. I tried the GT-75's, and they were okay, but not my ideal tone. I'm a greenback guy, and from what i've heard V30's should work well for me... what do ya think ?
    1975 Fender Stratocaster W/ Floyd Rose + mods
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio w/Floyd Rose, Scalloped neck, EMG 81/85 Combo
    Marshall FJA Signature modded JMP 1979 50 watt
    Marshall JVM205H
    Marshall 1960AX cabinet(w/ 2 V30's & 2 G12M Greenbacks)
    Empty(unloaded)Laney 2x12
    + a bunch of pedals

Thanks Jeremy... I was thinking about maybe leaving one of them in... but being so efficient, I thought they might still overpower all the other 3 speakers... I was kinda' wanting to mix anyway... perhaps a Cannabis Rex or Tone Tubby in there also.
    "Play like a Champion"

Quote Originally Posted by Invader09 View Post
    I want to try V30's. I've heard you can't go wrong with them. I tried the GT-75's, and they were okay, but not my ideal tone. I'm a greenback guy, and from what i've heard V30's should work well for me... what do ya think ?
    Do you like a huge spike in the upper mids that makes everything you play sound nasal + thin? If so, then you will love the Vintage 30.
    - KEVIN

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
    Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4

All the tone is VERY focused on the upper mids... if that is what you want...

I don't mean a little bit.... I mean VERY focused on I'd say 500 to 1K not even 2K! Yuck!

If you have a graphic EQ take all the middle bands a push them up... make a big frown...
    There you have it.... That's a V30 basically!
    "Play like a Champion"

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    a pair of them mixed with something else can be great though. once they break in they do sound better too. having said that, they are a good live speaker. it keeps the tone focused in a fairly narrow range which means you punch thru a mix and stay out of other instruments way. also some amps like them better than others.

some people love them, some hate them. personally they arent my thing but i dont like the 75's either
    I can understand why people dislike them, but they are by far my favorite speaker.

With that said, I only use them in my ''live rig'' cab. My combo at home has an eminence C90 black shadow that is more balanced, but my 2x12 has V30s.

When I shopped around, I chose this cab, because my bassist and I have great chemistry, that heavily relies on not taking up each other's space in the mix. The V30s allow me to fill in that mid-midhigh-high range, and leave the lows to him, creating a band sound that is both full, but clear and pleasant.

I agree with Jeremy that some amps do like them better, and I think mesa is one of those examples. When running higher gain, I kinda want that focus, so everything doesn't become mush.

So yeah, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Quote Originally Posted by ksmith63 View Post
    Do you like a huge spike in the upper mids that makes everything you play sound nasal + thin? If so, then you will love the Vintage 30.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnyblu View Post
    All the tone is VERY focused on the upper mids... if that is what you want...

I don't mean a little bit.... I mean VERY focused on I'd say 500 to 1K not even 2K! Yuck!

If you have a graphic EQ take all the middle bands a push them up... make a big frown...
    There you have it.... That's a V30 basically!
    I have never had my tone sound thin or nasal. It's true that I do play through a big cab, a 2x12 rect cab, but I feel it's very balanced.

Speaking of EQs... people often say that mesa amps are very sensitive when adjusting EQ, which is maybe why they match well with that speaker.

What kind of amps are you guys using?
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

I think out of the box they are very harsh. Broken in, a little better. Still mid/uppermid heavy though. But then again, so is a guitar!

I have Eminence Cannabis Rex, Texas Heat and GT75's I love all of them...
    And I have played through Celestion Blue's and was very impressed.
    I like Tone Tubby's also...

I mix a Marshall JTM45's and Plexi 50 watt, non master volume... Chime + Plexi
    I go for a David Grissom kinda' tone.

What speakers do you like Jeremy? or anybody else here too?
    "Play like a Champion"

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyblu View Post
    What speakers do you like Jeremy? or anybody else here too?
    Greenbacks
    1975 Fender Stratocaster W/ Floyd Rose + mods
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio w/Floyd Rose, Scalloped neck, EMG 81/85 Combo
    Marshall FJA Signature modded JMP 1979 50 watt
    Marshall JVM205H
    Marshall 1960AX cabinet(w/ 2 V30's & 2 G12M Greenbacks)
    Empty(unloaded)Laney 2x12
    + a bunch of pedals

Ultimate Tone Member poweredbysoul's Avatar

I have them in a 2x12 mesa cab closed back and they smoke!!!
    Work them in a little, I must say that they fit in a band mix perfectly!!!
    This is where I think they especially shine. They definetly do not suck!!
    There's a reason why alot of top players prefer them!!!

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar

V30's are not my fav Celestion but I think they are good speakers that get a bad rap...

Interesting to point out that when Celestion designed the V30 their gold was to get a ceramic speaker that sounded like an alnico blue...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

That is what suprized me so.... because they are basically the industry standard now....
    Every new cabinet is loaded with them.... Like the GT75 used to be...
    So I really wasn't expecting to dislike them so much.

I play with a 7 string bassist that covers a lot feq space also... but I don't think I want to be quite this regulated!!! lol

No, of course to each his own... ;-)
    "Play like a Champion"

Ultimate Tone Member poweredbysoul's Avatar

I'll ad as well that I really liked the tone of the Mesa Black Shadow C90 speaker as well. Which I was using in a lone star cab.
    HATED the G12T75's!!!!
    The G12H30 is also a very cool sounding speaker.
    But in a full band ensemble the Vintage 30's with the right amp rock!@!!

i like the g12h, g12m, and blue of the celestion offerings.
    cannabis rex and red fang of the eminence line
    tone tubby alnicos are great too.

there are lots of good speakers, depends on what the rest of the rig looks like

Vintage 30's aren't bad, just misunderstood.

In all honesty, the Vintage 30 is not my first choice for dirty tones, but I do like them for cleans OR if I have them blended with another speaker for guitar tones.

Hell, I don't even like new Vintage 30's for a "V30" sound. The Governor by Eminence sounds almost just like a V30 to my ears EXCEPT for that nasally upper midrange spike, which is my main complaint about the V30. It's like Emi managed to dial out everything I didn't like about V30s and accentuated all the positive aspects of one. The Governors have a warm, syrupy sound for cleans that I dig and a bark-y but not overbearing mid sound.

Old V30s that have been worn in over several years... different story. Smooth and creamy. Of course I still wouldn't use 'em for modern heavy tones. They're best for a more classic rock sound.

Newer G12t75s sound very brittle and bright to me until you break them in. The best G12T75s I've ever heard were about 15 years old and sounded very nice, bright but not strident with full, tight lows. I just wished they were a little more efficient and louder.

A good G12T75 blended with a Governor gives me lots of full lows and high end shimmer, and the Governor adds a nice percussive midrange voicing to the sound. It's a very well-rounded tone that brings out a fuller spectrum of the amp you're using, and I like that.

I also like Emi Man-O-Wars and use those as well... they're like a T75 but darker and with less highs. Louder, too.

Quote Originally Posted by phil_104 View Post
    What kind of amps are you guys using?
    Budda Superdrive 80 (one with 6l6s). The cab is my Randall Isolation 12, sounded bad even with the top off. Actually it sounded ok clean with the neck pickup. FWIW the "budda" eminence speakers are based on the vintage 30 but without the mid spike + more power handling. I absolutely love those.

My ideal tone is very thick but also defined. Our bass player follows me (at best) half the time so I can't rely on him for the low end.
    - KEVIN

I'm in a Trio, sometimes a Quartet with a Front. So I guess I don't have to worry as much about that.
    I want a fuller spectrum of tone... Guess I'm more concerned about the Low's and the High's and getting a Hendrix, Eric Johnson Chiming rhythm sound.
    Seems the gain sounds always have plenty of mids for my ears...
    Interesting discussion... I will try to leave one in this Stereo 4x12, on the Plexi side I guess.
    "Play like a Champion"