Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63

Thread: Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10

  1. #21
    SDUGF Founder Evan Skopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Goleta, California, USA
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    Yngwie,

    It's an honor to have you here with us. Thank you!

    I know Ritchie Blackmore has been one of your biggest inspirations as a guitar player; he's been my biggest influence for many years.

    What caught your attention the most about him when you first listened to him? Also, is there anything about his playing/tone/etc. that you still haven't quite captured that you wish you had in your arsenal?

    You're an amazing guitar player and a legend, Yngwie. Rock on!
    When I was seven years old, I got a Deep Purple album from my older sister. At the time, there was nothing else around that even compared to Blackmore. So obviously it was amazing. But by the time I was 11 or 12, I had totally abandoned trying to copy Ritchie Blackmore or any guitar player. Period. My goal was to apply violin style techniques a la Paganini and Vivaldi to guitar.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Hello Yngwie, would you say that the Fury pickups are still voiced torwards your earlier tones say with Steeler and Alcatrazz, or are these more fine tuned for your present heavier style of music with Ripper?

  3. #23
    The Drama Dude CTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,984

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    hej Yngwie!

    good to have you aboard!

    As a long time fan, and a total gearhead, I've gotta ask, considering you play metal, and considering a lot of your shred peers' equipment choices, what is it that you love so much about the single coil sound in the high gain environment, for rhythms and leads?

    Skål & Tack!

    \m/

  4. #24
    SDUGF Founder Evan Skopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Goleta, California, USA
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Quote Originally Posted by dmandude123455 View Post
    Hi Yngwie, thanks for spending some time with the forum.

    my question is, how did you develop your finger speed?

    and welcome to the SD family
    I never deliberately tried. I just played and played and played until I thought it sounded good. I've never used any exercises, per se, to develop speed.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

  5. #25
    Super Toneologist NUNOSLASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,378

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    This is more a request than a question:

    Come to South America and specially PERU in your next tour!

    You have a lot of fans here!

    Thanks for the music Yngwie!!

  6. #26
    Kablamminator ratherdashing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    North of The Wall
    Posts
    22,733

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Thanks for visiting!

    Could you describe what you wanted to achieve with the Fury, and why you chose Seymour Duncan to fulfill that need?

  7. #27
    Tone Member CesarM13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Hi, I'm a HUGE fan of yours and i would like you to answer the following question for me: if you had to use a humbucker as your only source of tone, so no single coils, what humbucker would you use for recording and playing live?

    thank you very much man i really appreciate your music and your playing, you rock!

  8. #28
    SDUGF Founder Evan Skopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Goleta, California, USA
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Quote Originally Posted by donbarzini View Post
    Hello Yngwie, would you say that the Fury pickups are still voiced torwards your earlier tones say with Steeler and Alcatrazz, or are these more fine tuned for your present heavier style of music with Ripper?
    If I had to say anything, it would be more towards the Alcatrazz/Steeler thing. However, it's extremely versatile and isn't limited to one style.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

  9. #29
    SDUGF Founder Evan Skopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Goleta, California, USA
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Quote Originally Posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
    hej Yngwie!

    good to have you aboard!

    As a long time fan, and a total gearhead, I've gotta ask, considering you play metal, and considering a lot of your shred peers' equipment choices, what is it that you love so much about the single coil sound in the high gain environment, for rhythms and leads?

    Skål & Tack!

    \m/
    The single coil magnetic window allows the definition of the notes to be much more precise vs. the double coil magnetic window. It's a big difference in definition. It's a clarity-thing. Even with distortion, it's more clear.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

  10. #30
    SDUGF Founder Evan Skopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Goleta, California, USA
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Quote Originally Posted by NUNOSLASH View Post
    This is more a request than a question:

    Come to South America and specially PERU in your next tour!

    You have a lot of fans here!

    Thanks for the music Yngwie!!
    Alright!
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

  11. #31
    Vibroluxologist B Bent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mr. Ray Charles sang a tune about my beloved state being on his mind.
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,263

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Yngwie,
    I'd love to hear you jam on a Tele into a Blackface Fender. I just think that would be so insane!

    Rock on man!
    I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

  12. #32
    Cake Mire cakire82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    2,244

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Thank you for taking time for being here and taking your place on Seymour Duncan fortress. The second I heard "Far Beyond the Sun" it has changed my perception of music and sound.

    What made you move from DiMarzio to Seymour Duncan?

    Thank you again for your time and music to come.
    "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

    "The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

    House of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

  13. #33
    Toneologist C-Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    37
    Posts
    818

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Hey Yngwie, thanks for sharing your time with us at the SD forum. Like others have said your one hell of a guitarist and has always been an inspiration to my guitar playing, your vibrato control and tones you can get out of a single coiled strat is simply put amazing.. you can make that guitar scream like no other...

    i have no real question i can think of at the moment and 30 min isn't allot of time to think.. i wasnt expecting this when i got home but i have always wondered tho, i have heared that you used to use HS-2 in your very early days instead of the HS-3 that you then switched too, is this true or just rumor?

  14. #34
    The Drama Dude CTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,984

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Cool, Thanks Yngwie! hope to see you in Toronto next time you're on tour!

  15. #35
    SDUGF Founder Evan Skopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Goleta, California, USA
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    Thanks for visiting!

    Could you describe what you wanted to achieve with the Fury, and why you chose Seymour Duncan to fulfill that need?
    Part of that I answered before. But I was approached by Evan a year ago and we started talking about taking my tone to a higher level. It was something I hadn't really thought about but soon SD started sending me some prototypes and right away I could see that I was on a path to dialing in my tone and responsiveness to a level I had never achieved before.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

  16. #36
    Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    not vegas. ok, i lied.
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,962

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    hey yngwie! i just want to know, do you, and will you, still use any of your dimarzio gear?
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

    https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

  17. #37
    SDUGF Founder Evan Skopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Goleta, California, USA
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Quote Originally Posted by CesarM13 View Post
    Hi, I'm a HUGE fan of yours and i would like you to answer the following question for me: if you had to use a humbucker as your only source of tone, so no single coils, what humbucker would you use for recording and playing live?

    thank you very much man i really appreciate your music and your playing, you rock!
    That would be the P.A.F. Definitely not a high gain one.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

  18. #38
    SDUGF Founder Evan Skopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Goleta, California, USA
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Quote Originally Posted by B Bent View Post
    Yngwie,
    I'd love to hear you jam on a Tele into a Blackface Fender. I just think that would be so insane!

    Rock on man!
    Party on, dude!
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

  19. #39
    SDUGF Founder Evan Skopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Goleta, California, USA
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Quote Originally Posted by cakire82 View Post
    Thank you for taking time for being here and taking your place on Seymour Duncan fortress. The second I heard "Far Beyond the Sun" it has changed my perception of music and sound.

    What made you move from DiMarzio to Seymour Duncan?

    Thank you again for your time and music to come.
    Thanks. Question asked and answered.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

  20. #40
    SDUGF Founder Evan Skopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Goleta, California, USA
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: LIVE Q&A with Yngwie Malmsteen - 1/18/10 3:00 Pacific

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Martin View Post
    Hey Yngwie, thanks for sharing your time with us at the SD forum. Like others have said your one hell of a guitarist and has always been an inspiration to my guitar playing, your vibrato control and tones you can get out of a single coiled strat is simply put amazing.. you can make that guitar scream like no other...

    i have no real question i can think of at the moment and 30 min isn't allot of time to think.. i wasnt expecting this when i got home but i have always wondered tho, i have heared that you used to use HS-2 in your very early days instead of the HS-3 that you then switched too, is this true or just rumor?
    Rumor.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •