Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You can say whatever you want about Janick Gers...

Uptonogood

Default You can say whatever you want about Janick Gers...

But don't dare diss his black Strat. No way man...that '66 or it's CS replica kicks major ass. I've seen what I think is the same '66 with a newer neck instead of the old one with the transition logo as well.

Either way, it's up there with Dave's '57/'63 as far as cool factor goes IMO.

And then we tag team to the more known black Strat hehe....

Last edited by tc; 03-07-2010 at 07:59 PM.

King Midas to Cheap Guitars dominus's Avatar

Default Re: You can say whatever you want about Janick Gers...

He's wearing Iron Maiden shirts onstage. When you're in the band, that's just tacky.

Me, I haven't worn an Iron Maiden shirt in 20 years.
    "Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." Isaiah 13:16

"Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." Numbers 31:17-18

Want to trade? You go first. I've got over 15,000 feedback as a seller on eBay.

Uptonogood

I'm pretty sure I've seen everyone in Maiden wear a Maiden shirt. You can call them tacky but they still are, note for note, to this very day, one of the most amazing band/live show out there.

I think I've also seen Steve Harris with a shirt that says "Iron What?" hahah

Very cool strat-unfortunately it only seems to work when used in conjunction with lame posing and incessant noodling
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Uptonogood

I've never been a Janick hater...I just think he's part of the band for good or bad and besides I think a lot of what he gives to the band maybe isn't the guitar playing. After all he and Harris penned Dance of Death which I really like.

Although it did piss me off that some people I know didn't even notice Dave when they saw Maiden live because all he did was stand there while the "other guy" was throwing a guitar really high up and then catching it

Tommyologist

i've always liked that Black strat Gers has... didn't Ian Gillan buy it for him back in the early 80's?

but are you sure the original one he has is a 66? by 66 the strats had the Larger headstock i thought... my CS 66 reissue has the larger headstock... 65's had the transition logo and the smaller headstocks...

And i'm sure he has a bu8nch of necks he can swap on that guitar anyways... and all the copies of it he seems to have... About 5 years ago i saw an article in a UK guitar mag and Ger's had 22 fret necks on what looked like his old Black strat and the White one... just like the 22 fret one in the first photo

Uptonogood

He says in an interview '66...but I've seen it with newer MIA looking necks too.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/artists...s/iron_maiden/

I've also seen what looks like a '64-65. Like you said, those have transition logos and small headstocks...the only difference I know of is that '64s still had clay inlays while the '65s started using pearl dots..or some material that looks like it.

Quote Originally Posted by tc View Post
    I've never been a Janick hater...
    Don't get me wrong, I think he's a really cool guy, and I certainly don't hate him-just not a fan of his playing/posing/tone/butchering of Adrian's work.

I'd rather see Dennis Stratton back in the band
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Ultimate Tone Member projectx1106's Avatar

I think Gers is awesome. He's a great shredder and his "posing" and moves give him a lot of stage presence. They're great to see as well as hear perform live. It's so boring to go watch a motionless band. That strat is sick.

Uptonogood

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I think he's a really cool guy, and I certainly don't hate him
    No I didn't say you were a hater I'm just saying that a lot of people...wait a sec...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    just not a fan of his playing/posing/tone/butchering of Adrian's work.
    Well that certainly ain't love hahaha!

I poop my pants and wear KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

For ther most part - I agree that it is bad form to wear your own shirt. But there are a few bands that I'd make exceptions for -

Stones, Maiden, etc....Iron Maiden shorts are just cool period. If anyone can wear them - they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    For ther most part - I agree that it is bad form to wear your own shirt. But there are a few bands that I'd make exceptions for -

Stones, Maiden, etc....Iron Maiden shorts are just cool period. If anyone can wear them - they can.
    Agreed. As they say, you have to be your own greatest advocate haha

Ultimate Tone Slacker eschoendorff's Avatar

So I did a little research to see what all the drama over Gers was... and I came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA_teBVwMPY

To see a man his age acting like that is just embarrassing. Iron Maiden or not, once you start getting yearly prostate exams, you need to act with a little more decorum.

And then there's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxfLW9oN9-k&NR=1

That was supposed to be a guitar solo? The look on Bruce's face says it all... sheesh.
    Last edited by eschoendorff; 03-07-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eschoendorff View Post
    So I did a little research to see what all the drama over Gers was... and I came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA_teBVwMPY

To see a man his age acting like that is just embarrassing. Iron Maiden or not, once you start getting yearly prostate exams, you need to act with a little more decorum.

And then there's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxfLW9oN9-k&NR=1

That was supposed to be a guitar solo? The look on Bruce's face says it all... sheesh.
    Why should he? They aren't going to act like grandpas. Fans EXPECT to see this kind of stuff when they go see a live metal concert. It's what makes it fun, exciting, and unpredictable.
    He was having fun on that second video and the only people that called it a "guitar solo" are you and the publisher of that video. I saw it as a small digression of the song

Ultimate Tone Slacker

He's a great player. I can't stand the stuff he does on stage though.

Quote Originally Posted by projectx1106 View Post
    Fans EXPECT to see this kind of stuff when they go see a live metal concert. It's what makes it fun, exciting, and unpredictable.
    If you expect to see something, it is hardly unpredictable. Most metal fans don't handle unpredictability well.

BTW, I was listening to the Blaze-era Maiden today. I like a lot of it.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

I can't take any of this criticism seriously unless people start typing in progressively larger neon-colored fonts.

Uptonogood

You are so befriended it's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by eschoendorff View Post
    once you start getting yearly prostate exams, you need to act with a little more decorum.

A.
    By a professional, you mean?

Janick: Iron Maiden
    Oliver: Brady Bunch
    This machine kills fascists