Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mounting a locking nut and need input.

Ultimate Tone Member mrfunnyman's Avatar

Default Mounting a locking nut and need input.

Is there a big difference in tone if a locking nut has the screws going thru the neck from the backside of the neck to hold it down or if it's top mounted from the front of the neck? I bought a neck for a guitar that I am building under the impression that the screw holes would be drilled thru the neck for the locking and the neck arrived without the holes drilled. I dont have the proper tools to drill the holes from the backside so my only other option is to top mount it. Will I be missing anything tone wise or is it all just in my head?

Jessie Sammler

Default Re: Mounting a locking nut and need input.

I don't know. My best-sounding Floyd guitars have the nut top-mounted. I wouldn't worry about it.

top mount is the better option. the neck remains much more stable that way instead of having two large holes all the way through it. i've seen many broken headstocks and stress cracks around those drill through holes.

-Mike

King Midas to Cheap Guitars dominus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XSSIVE View Post
    top mount is the better option. the neck remains much more stable that way instead of having two large holes all the way through it. i've seen many broken headstocks and stress cracks around those drill through holes.

-Mike
    Yup, Ibanez has a real history of stress cracks from that stupid mounting scheme they use.

"Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." Isaiah 13:16

"Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." Numbers 31:17-18

Want to trade? You go first. I've got over 15,000 feedback as a seller on eBay.