Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You can say whatever you want about Janick Gers...

Ultimate Tone Member projectx1106's Avatar

Default Re: You can say whatever you want about Janick Gers...

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    If you expect to see something, it is hardly unpredictable. Most metal fans don't handle unpredictability well.

BTW, I was listening to the Blaze-era Maiden today. I like a lot of it.
    Not really, you can expect the unexpected. Are you referring to musical unpredictability? I can agree with that, metal fans aren't exactly get excited over a band's decision to change it's musical direction.

Am I the only one who doesn't hear a real difference between Iron Maiden before him and Iron Maiden with him?

Sykes had a lot of influence on Thin Lizzy and Whitesnake while Morse has changed Deep Purple's sound and vibe. I really like Iron Maiden but they are still doing the same thing, no point in picking on the new guy (or praising him).

Ultimate Tone Slacker Iron Horse's Avatar

Gers wears shirts of albums that were made before he was in Maiden and he considers himself a fan of the band from that era. Nothing wrong with that, IMO.

Sykes wasn't responsible for the change in Whitesnake's sound. Coverdale wanted the band to be popular in the US and hired Sykes in order to do that. In Lizzy he had more personal impact, though.

There are a few times live when Gers really adds something to the overal sound, some of the three part harmony parts are ace... but then he plays a solo and some times it just goes a bit wrong... from what I've seen so far it almost always goes wrong
    Nice strat though, and I kinda dig his on stage antics. No one ever complains about Bruce running around like a headless chicken

Adrian Smith is still the coolest guitar player in the world of metal
    It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I stopped listening to hard rock/metal around 1975 which is why I've only recently explored the music of Van Halen. Thank you for drawing my attention to another band I'm very glad to have avoided.

Uptonogood

You sir, are BANNED from this thread.

No but seriously, Maiden has been one of England's best exports since they started playing. You owe it to yourself to give it a spin. By spin I don't mean look at some guy making some noises with a guitar. I mean really hearing the music.