Page 1 of 13 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Dave Mustaine 4/13/10

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Q&A with Dave Mustaine 4/13/10

In a SDUGF exclusive, the legendary Dave Mustaine is hand to answer questions from SD forum members today April 13, from 2:00 to 3:00 PM Pacific time. Be advised that administrators will be watching this thread very carefully and all rules of respect will be monitored very closely.

It’s a rare thing when a musician comes face to face with what made them great to begin with. ENDGAME is that moment for Dave Mustaine and Megadeth. It’s the record where it all comes full circle in a career that has not only set standards in hard rock and metal, but defined them. Megadeth are rage on a tight rein, as precise and beautifully destructive as a laser guided missile. “After the smoke had cleared from personnel and label changes, I knew that regaining respect for me and for Megadeth was going to be a huge undertaking,” says Mustaine of the process re-tooling Megadeth after what is considered the “classic” line-up. “It was much like trying to turn a battleship -- no, more like an aircraft carrier-- around.”

Mission accomplished on ENDGAME, which is as extreme as anything Megadeth has ever recorded. The album’s signature track “Head Crusher” should not merely serve as a wake-up for old fans but also a new generation ready to keep Mustaine & Co.’s brand of shredding guitar and bellicose songsmanship at the forefront of today’s metal scene. This, however, is not surprising for the man who has created and branded “Gigantour,” which for the past three years has united some of metal’s most musically literate players including Dream Theater, Children of Bodom and Opeth. Then again, what else would one expect from someone who culled a sound from The New Wave of British Heavy Metal and created metal’s then-new chic, which was state of the art speed metal?

The Megadeth machine is built on a blueprint of stark, complex musicianship. Over time, with album sales nearing 25 million worldwide, Mustaine has balanced rabid-dog aggression with staggering song-craft. The albums Killing Is My Business…And Business Is Good!, Peace Sells…But Who’s Buying? , So Far…So Good…So What? and Countdown to Extinction remain true metal classics. No surprise then that Mustaine was awarded the title of “Riff Lord” at 2008’s Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards in the U.K, or that he was crowned “Golden God” at the 2009 Revolver Golden Gods Awards in America.

Which of course shouldn’t negate the flirting with commercial success on Youthanasia, Cryptic Writings or Risk. Or even Megadeth’s road back to the standing at the top of metal’s top players with World Needs a Hero, The System Has Failed and their Roadrunner debut, United Abominations. “It was a good lesson about the need to follow your heart,” says Dave of the creative process with ENDGAME. “I am grateful to have fans who have let me stretch my wings musically. But this is where I am most comfortable.”

At this point, Dave Mustaine has nothing to prove. To make the record he wanted, Mustaine found himself building a full-blown recording studio in San Marcos, California, just outside of San Diego, dubbed “Vic’s Garage” after Megadeth’s iconic, skull-faced mascot Vic Rattlehead. His rationale for building a studio for Megadeth was simple: “When we went into the studio last time it was too expensive, too extravagant, too arrogant and I think it made us a little lazy,” muses Mustaine.

Andy Sneap, metal-producer and mixer par-excellence and a Megadeth cohort from United Abominations, returned to work alongside of Mustaine. The result of this metal-mongering synergy speaks for itself. “It’s a great relationship,” says Mustaine of his ongoing dealings with the acclaimed British producer, also known for his work with Killswitch Engage and Machine Head. “We had a few intense moments, but that is part of having a real working relationship. I am a better guitarist, singer and producer due to my tremendous respect for Andy and my open ears when he is listening or isn’t listening to my point of view.”

Musically and lyrically, Dave Mustaine remains metal’s true iconoclast whose latest musical offering rumbles with the intensity his career has been built on. Megadeth has come full circle. Megadeth are back to the killing business…and business has never been better.

Ladies and gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to one of rock's living legends, Dave Mustaine!
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

Uptonogood

Default Re: Live - Q&A with Dave Mustaine 4/13/10 - ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Hi Mr. Mustaine, I was wondering a couple of things about songwriting...since most here will cover gear
    and really, I could have all your rig and not write a song like you do.

How do you consistently write music? And how do you keep it from going stale?
    I find that even if you've been around and released tons of albums over the
    years, and changed the sound of the band, had new members here and there, you still write music on a
    constant basis. I find that I can come up with a great song, but then it'll be weeks until
    I can pen another one that's halfway decent. Is there a certain mindset you have when you write?

BTW, I can't wait to see you guys here in Costa Rica. That's going to be a killer show, specially with
    Chris Broderick and you playing guitar! Thanks!

Yes, It's The Real Dave Mustaine

Quote Originally Posted by tc View Post
    Hi Mr. Mustaine, I was wondering a couple of things about songwriting...since most here will cover gear
    and really, I could have all your rig and not write a song like you do.

How do you consistently write music? And how do you keep it from going stale?
    I find that even if you've been around and released tons of albums over the
    years, and changed the sound of the band, had new members here and there, you still write music on a
    constant basis. I find that I can come up with a great song, but then it'll be weeks until
    I can pen another one that's halfway decent. Is there a certain mindset you have when you write?

BTW, I can't wait to see you guys here in Costa Rica. That's going to be a killer show, specially with
    Chris Broderick and you playing guitar! Thanks!
    if it takes weeks between you writing good songs, then i would obviously wait until a few weeks have gone by

Mo Cow Bellologist texasguitarslinger's Avatar

Thanks for doing this Q&A!

Dave, if you had to pick three movies to take to a deserted island what would they be?
    ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

I am curious, have any other band member read your book yet?
    What do you expect of it?
    Hard on the outside, hiding the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I am curious, have any other band member read your book yet?
    What do you expect of it?
    Yes David Ellefson did.

Quote Originally Posted by texasguitarslinger View Post
    Thanks for doing this Q&A!

Dave, if you had to pick three movies to take to a deserted island what would they be?
    The Good the Bad the Ugly. Tombstone. King Arthur

Dave, is there anything else you can tell us about the top secret project that you havent told us yet ? and any idea when we can expect the RiP 20th Anniversary DVD ?

-Josh from Chicago.

Hi Dave Mustaine,

You mentioned a few months ago on the Megadeth forums that you were considering making an album of re-recorded Megadeth classics for the last album under Roadrunner's contract. You also asked the droogs on the forums to throw some suggestions your way.

Is this album of re-recorded songs still a possibility, or has it been thrown out the window in lieu of other material?

Thanks,
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by ajmetalhed View Post
    Hi Dave Mustaine,

You mentioned a few months ago on the Megadeth forums that you were considering making an album of re-recorded Megadeth classics for the last album under Roadrunner's contract. You also asked the droogs on the forums to throw some suggestions your way.

Is this album of re-recorded songs still a possibility, or has it been thrown out the window in lieu of other material?

Thanks,
    Ali
    nope, too busy having fun on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmetalhed View Post
    Hi Dave Mustaine,

Thanks,
    Ali
    i am busy right now with touring and the new record.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mustaine View Post
    i am busy right now with touring and the new record.
    Thanks for clarifying! I look forward to the new record

This isn't really a question, but I'd like to thank you for your latest liveline update when you encouraged all the Droogie students to kick butt, finish school, and make you proud. Now I feel much more motivated to go to my physics night class/lab.

It's great having a hero who encourages you to do the right thing

hey dave i would like to know what is it like to live on the road? and in the studio? thanks josh from las vegas

Hello Dave! I hope you’re enjoying your time at home.
    How are you feeling? You have a crazy tour schedule ahead!
    How are your neck and back doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Hello Dave! I hope you’re enjoying your time at home.
    How are you feeling? You have a crazy tour schedule ahead!
    How are your neck and back doing?
    the neck and back are doing good. thanks for asking

Hello, Dave!
    I'd like to ask will you be playing songs from the legendary Rust in Peace album, in this year Tuska Festival in Finland?
    Thank you, greetings from Europe, Lithuania!

we will be playing some songs from rust in peace

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mustaine View Post
    we will be playing some songs from rust in peace
    Where, in SA or Europe? Sorry to bother you but I'd like to know

Hello Dave,

I was curious to ask, what approach did you take to learning guitar when you first began, was there a formal introduction to music theory, or was it all about learning by ear or by watching other guitarists do their own thing? If you have any tips (for any guitar player- beginner, intermediate, or advance) they are always welcome. Thank you so much, god bless you and keep kicking ass!

~Celene

Dave, you are the one who got me started on playing metal guitar. and I thank you for that. I also continue to listen to your music and love it.

What is your personal favorite Megadeth album? If it happens to be Endgame, second favorite?