Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 81

Thread: Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

  1. #21
    Guitarist, KISS & Grand Funk Railroad Bruce Kulick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Quote Originally Posted by texasguitarslinger View Post
    Hi Bruce, thanks for taking time to be here.

    What/who first inspired you to start playing guitar and how old were you when you started playing. Thx in advance.
    First The Beatles, but more importantly Eric Clapton, and Jimi Hendrix.
    Jimmy Page as well... those were the big influences. I would say I started learning at 10 or 11 years old.

  2. #22
    KatyPerryologist astrozombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    13,680

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Bruce, do you feel your guitar enables you to express yourself in a way that would be hard to do just using words?

    "Music is what feelings sound like".

  3. #23
    Guitarist, KISS & Grand Funk Railroad Bruce Kulick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Quote Originally Posted by astrozombie View Post
    Bruce, do you feel your guitar enables you to express yourself in a way that would be hard to do just using words?

    "Music is what feelings sound like".
    I admit, I am kind of emotional as a person, and playing guitar is a way to express some emotions etc.. hard to explain but I do feel like I speak through my guitar.

  4. #24
    KatyPerryologist astrozombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    13,680

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    (I only get one question right?)

  5. #25
    Guitarist, KISS & Grand Funk Railroad Bruce Kulick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    Bruce -

    1) When you play GFR riffs, do you ever have a hard time keeping your big brass ones in your fruit-of-the-looms?

    2) What influences you and your playing more: the bands you play in, or the bands you listen-to-and-don't-play-in?

    Thanks,
    Hunter
    LOL! I think I like to play with my brass ones, no matter who I perform with!
    I play what I hear in my head, but I do know how to adapt to what the songs, and the band needs... Jazzy stuff isn't for KISS you know, but I have a few of those riffs if I need to go there.

  6. #26
    Jolvisologist gripweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids MI
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,057

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Quote Originally Posted by astrozombie View Post
    (I only get one question right?)
    If that is true I asked two (whoops!). I actually have another one if I'm allowed.
    Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

  7. #27
    Guitarist, KISS & Grand Funk Railroad Bruce Kulick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Quote Originally Posted by astrozombie View Post
    (I only get one question right?)
    with your photo, more questions are allowed! and I do love Puerto Rico!

  8. #28
    John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    22,255

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kulick View Post
    LOL! I think I like to play with my brass ones, no matter who I perform with!
    I play what I hear in my head, but I do know how to adapt to what the songs, and the band needs... Jazzy stuff isn't for KISS you know, but I have a few of those riffs if I need to go there.

  9. #29
    Shaftologist Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Age
    31
    Posts
    10,256

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    I'm relieved to know that we're on the same side of the dogs/cats debate. I don't trust cat people at all.

    Anyway, if we're allowed more than one question...You've worked with an impressive and very talented bunch of artists over the years. Who do you think you had the best chemistry with? I don't mean who was the nicest guy to hang out with, I mean who do you think really inspired you and brought out the best playing from you?

    Thanks for doing this, by the way.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

  10. #30
    Kablamminator ratherdashing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    North of The Wall
    Posts
    22,733

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Hey Bruce! Thanks for stopping by. This is really cool so far.

    When you're playing a gig, how much of your energy/mind is focused on your playing, and how much is on other things, like your physical stage presence, the audience, the other musicians, etc.?

  11. #31
    Mojo's Minions J Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NYC metro/USA
    Posts
    5,240

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Hey Bruce, thanks for dropping by!

    What do you feel most helped you to develop your diverse skill set and therefore longevity (career) on the instrument? Being able to cover so much musical ground with many different artists surely isn't easy...

    Or IS it?!

    Cheers!
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

    Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

  12. #32
    KatyPerryologist astrozombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    13,680

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kulick View Post
    with your photo, more questions are allowed! and I do love Puerto Rico!
    You were a lead guitarist in a rock band in what I think was one of the only times in recent history where great musicianship was not only encouraged but celebrated greatly. What was that like?

  13. #33
    Guitarist, KISS & Grand Funk Railroad Bruce Kulick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    Hey Bruce! Thanks for stopping by. This is really cool so far.

    When you're playing a gig, how much of your energy/mind is focused on your playing, and how much is on other things, like your physical stage presence, the audience, the other musicians, etc.?
    It is amazing how many things can go through my mind at a show! Watching the people, adjusting in my mind what pedal move to go to, etc. It really is a multitasking job! You want to entertain, and be great at the same time.

  14. #34
    Guitarist, KISS & Grand Funk Railroad Bruce Kulick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Quote Originally Posted by astrozombie View Post
    You were a lead guitarist in a rock band in what I think was one of the only times in recent history where great musicianship was not only encouraged but celebrated greatly. What was that like?
    Which band do you mean? I am not really sure if you mean KISS?
    As you know they didn't get much credit musicianship wise, but actually my version of KISS was very musical.

  15. #35
    Guitarist, KISS & Grand Funk Railroad Bruce Kulick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Quote Originally Posted by J Moose View Post
    Hey Bruce, thanks for dropping by!

    What do you feel most helped you to develop your diverse skill set and therefore longevity (career) on the instrument? Being able to cover so much musical ground with many different artists surely isn't easy...

    Or IS it?!

    Cheers!
    I guess it isn't THAT hard for me, and thank you! But honestly my iPod is so diverse, it is no wonder I can handle different situations. I am rock and funky enough for GFR and metal enough for KISS. All good!

  16. #36
    Mojo's Minions Gamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Monster Island
    Posts
    5,131

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Welcome aboard Bruce!

    Your career has spanned a few decades and a number of musical fads and trends. Classic rock, hair bands, grunge, etc.

    Is there a particular period of time you look back on (or perhaps it's now) that you really acknowledge as being the most fun and creative?

    Also is there a period you look back on and say "man, I'm glad that fad is over"?

  17. #37
    Mojo's Minions J Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NYC metro/USA
    Posts
    5,240

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kulick View Post
    I guess it isn't THAT hard for me, and thank you! But honestly my iPod is so diverse, it is no wonder I can handle different situations. I am rock and funky enough for GFR and metal enough for KISS. All good!
    Thanks, but what I getting at was trying to get a handle on what sort of things you studied on the instrument that helped form you to be the player you are today. Was it sitting down with records, which ones? Private lessons? Books? Going outside of the "rock" stuff into other genres like classical, jazz or..?

    Thanks agian!
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

    Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

  18. #38
    Guitarist, KISS & Grand Funk Railroad Bruce Kulick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamera View Post
    Welcome aboard Bruce!

    Your career has spanned a few decades and a number of musical fads and trends. Classic rock, hair bands, grunge, etc.

    Is there a particular period of time you look back on (or perhaps it's now) that you really acknowledge as being the most fun and creative?

    Also is there a period you look back on and say "man, I'm glad that fad is over"?
    Fad wise, Asylum era clothing. I didn't dig the threads then. Revenge was a better look!
    Actually the work I did on BK3, my new CD is the most creative direction with my guitar work. I also dig something from WAY back in 1974, and I was selling that on my site too a few years ago. Called KKB. BK young and in a progressive band!

  19. #39
    Guitarist, KISS & Grand Funk Railroad Bruce Kulick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    Quote Originally Posted by J Moose View Post
    Thanks, but what I getting at was trying to get a handle on what sort of things you studied on the instrument that helped form you to be the player you are today. Was it sitting down with records, which ones? Private lessons? Books? Going outside of the "rock" stuff into other genres like classical, jazz or..?

    Thanks agian!
    I admit not being a good reader, but I have a good ear. I sat with lots of records, and learned things. I took some private lessons, and I did study with a very progressive Jazz guy for a while a LONG time ago. That opened my mind up to things. Beck in the 70's was doing things I didn't understand. He is a genius no matter, but as soon as I learned an 11th chord or 13th chord some of the things he did stated to make sense to me.

  20. #40
    Kablamminator ratherdashing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    North of The Wall
    Posts
    22,733

    Default Re: Live - Q&A with Bruce Kulick - 5/11/10

    I'm going to try to sneak in an extra question, hopefully it will turn out to be a good one.

    Every touring musician has hilarious/amazing stories from the road. Would you do us the honor of sharing one of yours?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •