Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good homemade string cleaner

Ultimate Tone Slacker dmandude123455's Avatar

Default Good homemade string cleaner

My strings are getting a bit dirty, and I dont have any string cleaner so does anyone have any suggestions on a homemade recipe for string cleaners?

Thanks
    Last edited by dmandude123455; 06-11-2010 at 08:40 AM.
    88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
    Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
    Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
    Vox NightTrain 50.
    My Band

Ultimate Tone Slacker Red_Label's Avatar

Default Re: Good homemade string cleaner

I always just have a bottle of 70 or 90% rubbing alcohol handy. And a sock. I tip the bottle with the sock covering it's opening, to wet the sock with alcohol. Then I wipe the sock up and down the string a few times and that's it. I've been doing this for like 15-20 years and do it after every playing session. I'm able to get strings to last for many months (unless I'm gigging -- then I change them for every gig).
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

sweat

Try boiling them. Take them off, wipe them, boil them, wipe them again, restring.
    Sometimes it helps.
    "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
    "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
    "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
    "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar

Years ago an oder blues player told me he used unscented Mennen Electric Shaver Pre-Shave...This is the stuff you put on your face before shaving with an electric razor...It's both a cleaner and a lubricant...Works very well...Not sure if it's something you have(or your Dad) around the house,but thought this was a good post to throw it out there...These days I use either the Dunlop string cleaner or a product called "Dr.Stringfellow"....I wipe my strings often also throughout the time I'm playing..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
    Years ago an oder blues player told me he used unscented Mennen Electric Shaver Pre-Shave...This is the stuff you put on your face before shaving with an electric razor...It's both a cleaner and a lubricant...Works very well...Not sure if it's something you have(or your Dad) around the house,but thought this was a good post to throw it out there...These days I use either the Dunlop string cleaner or a product called "Dr.Stringfellow"....I wipe my strings often also throughout the time I'm playing..
    That's quite an interesting idea
    "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
    "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
    "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
    "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
    I dont have any around the house but this really cool, I used the alcohol sock thing and HOLY CRAP!!! when the sock rubbed on the strings there was a high pitch scream( the guitar was not plugged in) and it was like a banshee came into my house with a chainsaw and was cutting a hell cat in half! it was sooo loud! but my strings are clean
    Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
    Vox NightTrain 50.
    My Band

Ultimate Tone Slacker Red_Label's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dmandude123455 View Post
    I dont have any around the house but this really cool, I used the alcohol sock thing and HOLY CRAP!!! when the sock rubbed on the strings there was a high pitch scream( the guitar was not plugged in) and it was like a banshee came into my house with a chainsaw and was cutting a hell cat in half! it was sooo loud! but my strings are clean
    I've been embarassing my band mates with that racket during every break for years!
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Mojo's Minions

I you can take it yourself, this the single most annoying thing you can do to people, besides of course silently farting in a crowded elevator while giving an evil look to somebody at random.

I have one of these it works just fine, or you can use a tissue. My strings are always clean and last for months
    http://www.thestringcleaner.com/
    tone slut
    Marshall DSL 40C
    Fender EVH Striped Series
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
    Fender Squier Tele Affinity
    Mogami cables

Rebelyellologist

If I don't feel like changing strings and they have become grimey, I squirt a little WD-40 on a rag and wipe them down.

Jessie Sammler

I'm soooo trying that when I get home!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid_Lunatic View Post
    If I don't feel like changing strings and they have become grimey, I squirt a little WD-40 on a rag and wipe them down.
    Doesn't the residue from the WD-40 smell and feel funny on the strings?

Rebelyellologist

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie Sammler View Post

Doesn't the residue from the WD-40 smell and feel funny on the strings?
    It feels like you put FastFret on them. You can't use much or it makes it greasy, just a little spray on a rag then wipe the hell out of it, just barely leaving the strings coated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid_Lunatic View Post
    It feels like you put FastFret on them. You can't use much or it makes it greasy, just a little spray on a rag then wipe the hell out of it, just barely leaving the strings coated.
    umm that sounds pretty good, i think ill try that in a little bit. thanks
    Vox NightTrain 50.
    My Band

Ultimate Tone Slacker Metalman_666's Avatar

I just found this thread because the strings were rough and gross after leaving my Schecter in its case for a month, in heat and humidity no less. Busted out some isopropyl and a pair of holey boxers and BAM.

Thank you forum bros for the tips! I'm tempted to try WD-40 next, but that seems wrong
    EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    Schecter C-1 Classic (Air Zone/Jazz)
    Schecter A-7 Avenger (EMG 707/607)
    G&L Tribute Comanche
    Ibanez ART600TK (Custom8/Air Norton)
    Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Ultimate Tone Slacker Brandenburg's Avatar

im going to try the alcohol trick tomorrow morning myself

WD-40 & Rubbing Alcohol for me...
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...t-67-Of-Myself

Uptonogood

I know it's an old thread and all, but I've gotta say, I don't like putting anything on the strings because all that will end up on the fretboard. If you don't change the strings often, that means you don't clean the fretboard often, then that means that all sorts of gunk will accumulate, then if you put all sorts of stuff on the strings (pre/aftershave, really?), whatever doesn't evaporate instantly will mix up with the gunk...you know where I'm going.

I also never got the boiling strings thing. Putting used strings back on the guitar? No thanks.

I just don't find it as big a deal to change strings. I just buy them in bulk.

isopropyl alcohol