Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Scott Ian - 9/8/10

Default Q&A with Scott Ian - 9/8/10

In a career spanning three decades, Scott Ian, as the founding member of Anthrax, helped to create the “New Wave of American Heavy Metal” in the mid-‘80s alongside Metallica. Three-time Grammy nominated, MTV VMA nominees, and Multi-Platinum and Gold Awarded music veterans, Anthrax, have sold over 10 million records worldwide including nine studio albums, two live albums, and two greatest hits collections. Touring pros, Anthrax has performed on over 50 tours spanning the globe; in 32 countries on five continents including Europe, North America, South America, Australia, and Asia.

Pushing the envelope in the metal genre to its bursting point in 1991, Scott came up with the idea to cross over with rap pioneers Public Enemy and record what was to become the foundation of the Rap/Rock genre that exploded in the ‘90s. With their hit “Bring The Noise,” Anthrax reached new heights kicking open the door for such bands as Rage Against The Machine, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, and Linkin Park. In 2005, Scott was invited by Chuck D of Public Enemy to perform “Bring The Noise” with them as part of their induction into VH1’s Hip Hop Honors Hall Of Fame. Scott also joined Public Enemy on the Rock The Bells tour in the summer of 2007.

Continually recording and touring through the ‘90s and into the new millennium, Anthrax has maintained the kind of career that only a handful of others can lay claim to. 2009 saw the band celebrate the 25th anniversary of the release of its debut album Fistful Of Metal. Scott is widely known as the face of Anthrax and for being a constant and extremely recognizable figure in the worlds of music and television.

Scott parlayed his success with the band into a television gig with VH1 in 2001 when they asked him to host “Rock Show.” During his 48 episodes as host, Scott interviewed numerous celebrity guests and friends including; Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Halford, Ted Nugent, Stone Temple Pilots, Megadeth, Three Doors Down, Sevendust, Tenacious D, and The Cult.

Scott is also a regular commentator on various VH1 shows including the “I Love The 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s” series, “100 Most Metal Moments”, “Awesomely Bad Number One Songs”, “When Metallica Ruled The World”, Metallica’s “Behind The Music”, Pantera’s “Behind The Music” and Anthrax’s own “Behind The Music.” Scott was prominently featured in VH1’s “History Of Heavy Metal”.

In June of 2006 Scott starred in the VH1 reality series “SuperGroup” with Ted Nugent, Sebastian Bach, Jason Bonham and Evan Seinfeld. The show was a huge success and once again pushed the boundaries of Scott’s career to new heights. Scott is currently in the studio recording what will be the 10th studio album by Anthrax scheduled for a 2011 release. Scott is also in the studio recording the debut album for his side band The Damned Things to be released through Island/Def Jam in January 2011.

Anthrax just played the Sonisphere Festival in Europe where for the first time in history The Big Four; Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth performed together on the same stage for seven historic shows. The show in Sofia Bulgaria was streamed live into 1000 movie theaters worldwide and was filmed/recorded for a DVD release this fall.

Scott is also playing guitar in the group Pearl who just finished two tours with Velvet Revolver and Meat Loaf. The debut album from Pearl came out on January 19, 2010 through Megaforce Records. Scott performed with Pearl on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Jan 20, 2010.

Scott is a long-time Seymour Duncan user who has a Custom Shop Signature pickup, the El Diablo. Scott will join the Seymour Duncan User Group Forum for a live one-hour Q&A today Wednesday, September 8, 2010 from 2:00PM to 3:00PM Pacific Time. In order for Scott to post as many responses as possible, please don't ask multiple-part questions.

Ladies and gentlemen, please join me in welcoming Scott Ian to the Seymour Duncan User Group Forums!
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

TheProphet

Default Re: LIVE - Q&A with Scott Ian - 9/8/10

Hi Scott,

I’m really glad we get to hear from you. I’m curious to learn about the process you go through when you’re writing songs.

• Is it a situation where you try to write songs on your own and then bring them to the group, or do you write collaboratively with everyone at the same time?

• When writing lyrics, do you write them before you have music for them, or do have the music first and then write lyrics for the music?

Thanks

Charles

Scott:

Welcome. We're very glad to have you here. This question comes to us from a member who can't be here for the chat. He wants to know...

Are we ever going to see a return of the "NOT" guitar in any form? Thinking of the Yankess guitar, but specifically one with no frets above the 12th or 15th position. I saw a picture of him with the Jackson when I was in like 6th grade or so... thought it was the most bad-ass thing. That picture with the interview made me get a copy of State of Euphoria. Ruined my life!

Thanks for doing this!
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

Zuhahahaologist daemon barbeque's Avatar

Woohoo! Scott, you are the reason for me picking up guitar

To the question!
    Why do you prefer a Soloist to any other Jackson? I remember seeing you with a Rhoads

Cheers man!

Hey Scott!!!

When are you coming to Peru?

Seymour Duncan Artist Scott Ian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    Hi Scott,

I’m really glad we get to hear from you. I’m curious to learn about the process you go through when you’re writing songs.

• Is it a situation where you try to write songs on your own and then bring them to the group, or do you write collaboratively with everyone at the same time?

• When writing lyrics, do you write them before you have music for them, or do have the music first and then write lyrics for the music?

Thanks

Charles
    Usually Charlie is the catalyst musically and it all stems from that.
    I write lyrics all the time. I'm always writing stuff down.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Skopp View Post
    Scott:

Welcome. We're very glad to have you here. This question comes to us from a member who can't be here for the chat. He wants to know...

Are we ever going to see a return of the "NOT" guitar in any form? Thinking of the Yankess guitar, but specifically one with no frets above the 12th or 15th position. I saw a picture of him with the Jackson when I was in like 6th grade or so... thought it was the most bad-ass thing. That picture with the interview made me get a copy of State of Euphoria. Ruined my life!

Thanks for doing this!
    I am looking at one of my new Jackson signature models right now with the same NOT inlay. It's going to be a ltd ed. Stay tuned for the release date soon.

I just have to say- SCOTT IAN and ANTHRAX RULE!

My first taste of metal was tape a friend made of me of I'm the Man with an awesome cover of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath on it. From then I was a fan of your earlier work and got turned onto Metallica, Anthrax, etc...

I don't have much of a question, rather a comment that you are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by daemon barbeque View Post
    Woohoo! Scott, you are the reason for me picking up guitar

To the question!
    Why do you prefer a Soloist to any other Jackson? I remember seeing you with a Rhoads

Cheers man!
    I love the RR's as well. The soloist just feels the best in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by NUNOSLASH View Post
    Hey Scott!!!

When are you coming to Peru?
    Hopefully next year. Last time we played Lima it was great!!!

Ultimate Tone Slacker dmandude123455's Avatar

, Well to start off, Thank you Scott Ian for doing this for the forum.

My question is,

What was it like working with Public enemy? Oh and what is it like haveing a signature pick up and a signature guitar???

thanks

OH and come to Tampa !!!!!!!
    Last edited by dmandude123455; 09-08-2010 at 02:10 PM.
    88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
    Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
    Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
    Vox NightTrain 50.
    My Band

Quote Originally Posted by jmh151 View Post
    i just have to say- scott ian and anthrax rule!

My first taste of metal was tape a friend made of me of i'm the man with an awesome cover of sabbath bloody sabbath on it. From then i was a fan of your earlier work and got turned onto metallica, anthrax, etc...

I don't have much of a question, rather a comment that you are awesome!
    thanks!!! :-)>

Hi Scott:

Can you please describe what it is about the El Diablo pickup (blade version) that appeals to you?

Thanks again for spending time with us.

- Evan

Quote Originally Posted by dmandude123455 View Post
    , Well to start off, Thank you Scott Ian for doing this for the forum.

My question is,

What was it like working with Public enemy? Oh and what is it like haveing a signature pick up and a signature guitar???

thanks
    Working with PE was great. They were my favorite band at the time and the whole thing came about because I really just wanted to hear Chuck D's voice over our music.
    It's awesome to have signature anything!

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar

What kind of setup were you using on the first SOD album? That distortion tone was sick!

Zuhahahaologist daemon barbeque's Avatar

Exactly, I wanted to know if you put the El Diablo in your new Soloists too!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Skopp View Post
    Hi Scott:

Can you please describe what it is about the El Diablo pickup (blade version) that appeals to you?

Thanks again for spending time with us.

- Evan
    The Diablo works at every level of tone I need. From my dense, chunking, edgy, rhythm tone to more hard rock AC/DC type tones to cleaning all the way up for parts, it does it all.

Good to have you here, Scott.

I've always enjoyed the humorous elements of Anthrax. Was it a conscious effort to infuse heavy metal with comedy?

Hi Scott:

This question also comes from someone who couldn't make it to the live chat. He wants to know if you've ever given any thought or been asked to produce music for bands other then the ones you play in.

Quote Originally Posted by idsnowdog View Post
    What kind of setup were you using on the first SOD album? That distortion tone was sick!
    My 81 Gibson V and my 82 Randy Rhoads were the guitars.
    Marshall JCM 800 with a TC Electronic Booster/Distortion in front of it.
    And my right hand.