Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Scott Ian - 9/8/10

Seymour Duncan Artist Scott Ian's Avatar

Default Re: LIVE - Q&A with Scott Ian - 9/8/10

Quote Originally Posted by daemon barbeque View Post
    Exactly, I wanted to know if you put the El Diablo in your new Soloists too!
    Yes I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
    Good to have you here, Scott.

I've always enjoyed the humorous elements of Anthrax. Was it a conscious effort to infuse heavy metal with comedy?
    No, we're just ourselves. However who we are comes out in our music.

Actually I live in Queens, N.Y. There was one piece of trivia. I heard early on Anthrax helped out Metallica since Metallica arrived in the same studio to record their first album, which is where Anthrax was recording at the time, and Anthrax pretty hooked up Metallica cause they were starving. I heard the studio was in Queens, N.Y.

Living in Queens, I never knew of any studio (it was before my time), so I was wondering where it was so I could visit the site where 2 of the heaviest bands recorded their heaviest work (sorry if this 36 year old man now sounds like an insane obsessed teenager asking you these crazy questions). As far as I know it's probably gone now

Hi Scott,

It's a pleasure to have such a metal star on the forum, it's great!

bit of a lame question, but i wanted to know, when did you start playing guitar, what made/who influenced you want to learn guitar and what guitar did you learn to play on?

many thanks.
    Last edited by Left_Hand_Strat; 09-08-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: bad grammar
    Ich bin mein führer

Quote Originally Posted by tiptipono View Post
    you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ian View Post
    My 81 Gibson V and my 82 Randy Rhoads were the guitars.
    Marshall JCM 800 with a TC Electronic Booster/Distortion in front of it.
    And my right hand.
    Thanks! I remember my friends and I listening to that album in high school trying to figure out how to replicate that sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Skopp View Post
    Hi Scott:

This question also comes from someone who couldn't make it to the live chat. He wants to know if you've ever given any thought or been asked to produce music for bands other then the ones you play in.
    Yes, and I have in the past but I am just too busy to be able to focus on that properly.

Scott,
    What do the Big 4 concerts mean to you? Is it just another gig or do you step onstage and say, "Man, we're making history!"?

Also, what did you think when you first heard Metallica's black album? I know on their Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica DVD, Bob Rock said James was hesitant to sing Nothing Else Matters because of what Anthrax would think. Thoughts?

Scott:

I own a Jackson JJ bass from the mid-90s. Very cool short scale with a single Basslines Music Man-style pickup and active electronics. What was your involvement in the development of that instrument and what were looking for with that bass?
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

Zuhahahaologist daemon barbeque's Avatar

My Favorite album ever is Among The Living. What makes that album so special in Your eyes? How come that thing is so differenet than anything else you did, especially different than the albums you made before. What was the inspiration?
    Cheers, and happy new "Jewish" year

Quote Originally Posted by jmh151 View Post
    Actually I live in Queens, N.Y. There was one piece of trivia. I heard early on Anthrax helped out Metallica since Metallica arrived in the same studio to record their first album, which is where Anthrax was recording at the time, and Anthrax pretty hooked up Metallica cause they were starving. I heard the studio was in Queens, N.Y.

Living in Queens, I never knew of any studio (it was before my time), so I was wondering where it was so I could visit the site where 2 of the heaviest bands recorded their heaviest work (sorry if this 36 year old man now sounds like an insane obsessed teenager asking you these crazy questions). As far as I know it's probably gone now
    It was called The Music Building and it was in Jamaica Queens. It's long gone.

TheProphet

Thanks for your answers!

I’ve noticed on a lot of your youtube vids that after you’re finished riffing, you appear to cut the volume by rolling it off with the underside of your hand in a swift motion (which looks really cool BTW).

Do you have any other cool habits, techniques or tricks that you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Left_Hand_Strat View Post
    Hi Scott,

It's a pleasure to have such a metal star on the forum, it's great!

bit of a lame question, but i wanted to know, when did you start playing guitar, what made you want to learn guitar/who and what guitar did you learn to play on?

many thanks.
    When I was 9. I saw Pete Townshend on TV doing his windmill and I asked for guitar lessons. I had an acoustic for about 6 months and then when my parents saw I was serious about it they bought me a Tele Deluxe.

When I was 9. I saw Pete Townshend on TV doing his windmill and I asked for guitar lessons. I had an acoustic for about 6 months and then when my parents saw I was serious about it they bought me a Tele Deluxe.
    Wow, that's cool! another Who fan!

Do you still own the telecaster?
    Ich bin mein führer

Quote Originally Posted by tiptipono View Post
    you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Quote Originally Posted by speed2dirt View Post
    Scott,
    What do the Big 4 concerts mean to you? Is it just another gig or do you step onstage and say, "Man, we're making history!"?

Also, what did you think when you first heard Metallica's black album? I know on their Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica DVD, Bob Rock said James was hesitant to sing Nothing Else Matters because of what Anthrax would think. Thoughts?
    The Big 4 shows were definitely not just another gig. Those shows were the best shows I have ever played because it really put into perspective the fact that so many people all over the world care so much about what we do and that is amazing. It was a privilege for us to get to do those shows.

I liked the Black album then and still do.
    Didn't know about what Bob Rock said. Funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Skopp View Post
    Scott:

I own a Jackson JJ bass from the mid-90s. Very cool short scale with a single Basslines Music Man-style pickup and active electronics. What was your involvement in the development of that instrument and what were looking for with that bass?
    Huh. I didn't know there was a bass! So, no involvement at all!!

It was called The Music Building and it was in Jamaica Queens. It's long gone.
    Thanks a ton.

Also, what made you move from Jackson, to Washburn, back to Jackson again? I always thought your Jacksons were the coolest.

Quote Originally Posted by daemon barbeque View Post
    My Favorite album ever is Among The Living. What makes that album so special in Your eyes? How come that thing is so differenet than anything else you did, especially different than the albums you made before. What was the inspiration?
    Cheers, and happy new "Jewish" year
    There are a lot of factors involved but mainly I think we had just gotten better as songwriters. It was our 3rd record and we had started to understand who we were as writers and what we wanted and we were able to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    Thanks for your answers!

I’ve noticed on a lot of your youtube vids that after you’re finished riffing, you appear to cut the volume by rolling it off with the underside of your hand in a swift motion (which looks really cool BTW).

Do you have any other cool habits, techniques or tricks that you do?
    Thanks for pointing that out. I really don't ever think about my playing or what I do, I just do it. No tricks, just a lot of hard work.

Zuhahahaologist daemon barbeque's Avatar

There are a lot of factors involved but mainly I think we had just gotten better as songwriters. It was our 3rd record and we had started to understand who we were as writers and what we wanted and we were able to get it.
    You got it alright!!!

Thanx for the answers man!

Quote Originally Posted by Left_Hand_Strat View Post
    Wow, that's cool! another Who fan!

Do you still own the telecaster?
    No, I wish I did.