Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Pedal Graphics Poll

Ultimate Tone Member tonefreak1527's Avatar

Default Re: New Pedal Graphics Poll

1. GOD NO, i color code (orange is distortion, blue is OD, green is delay etc.)
    2. NO, i relic the old fashioned way, play the living daylights out of it
    3. go right ahead, life needs SOME randomness
    I Build My own Guitars
    know duncan...know tone
    no duncan...no tone
    Quote Originally Posted by Warheart View Post
    First problem right there! letting drummers write lyrics!

1. Will you or the market accept random colors? That is to say, to keep channel inventory simple and add some mystery, will you buy a pedal knowing that color of the pedal you take out of the box will be a surprise?

Put the colour on the box so people can choose. I don't think that random will work in Europe although it might work like those Japanese toys where people buy loads to get the full set.

2. Does the era of “relic” guitars, aged parts and ragged tweed vintage amps open the door for tough-looking corroded steel pedal casings having random arrested corrosion washes?

Reliced effects look stupid. Why pay extra for something that looks like it's from e-bay?
    Also back to the world view the relic era is over in the UK stores can't shift Road Worn or relic guitars and amps. Tech21 lost a lot of ground with their relic version of the Classic.
    However the corrosion finish looks okay.

3. Are random small variances in appearance details acceptable or even interesting on a new electronics item that is immediately destined for the sole of your shoe anyway?

Appearance not so much electronics a lot.
    "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

No
    Yes
    Yes

Thanks for asking. Cool looking pedals.

Ultimate Tone Slacker eschoendorff's Avatar

I would like to echo the sentiments of all the previous posts.

However, given Seymour Duncan's reputation as a manufacturer of QUALITY items for guitarists, I would like to see SD raise the bar and make their pedals look as professional as possible.

Random fun colors, textures, etc give the pedals a consumer look - to me. If I were going to drop some serious $$$ on a pedal, it had better be a high quality unit, with a professional look.

If I want a pedal that looks like it was a 2nd grade art project, I'll buy Zvex. If I want professional, I should be drawn toward Seymour Duncan.

Just make sure that the pedal cosmetics demonstrate that whats inside is high quality professional level gear.

1. I don't like the idea of random colors.
    If I pay premium price for a premium pedal, I expect it to look the same as it looks on the catalogue.
    The color is a part of the product IMO and needs to be standarized for recognition too.

2. I don't like reliced guitars so I don't like the idea of reliced pedals either.

3. As long as the feel it gives is "hand made" and not "half assed", I'm all for it.
    Like someone mentioned, the handpainted Zvex pedals are cool and unique.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

I just got back to town and have not read answers by others.

1. Will you or the market accept random colors? That is to say, to keep channel inventory simple and add some mystery, will you buy a pedal knowing that color of the pedal you take out of the box will be a surprise?

No. Color is not particularly important to me, but I don't want to be surprised in that way. If you want to surprise me make functionality and sound exceed my expectations.

2. Does the era of “relic” guitars, aged parts and ragged tweed vintage amps open the door for tough-looking corroded steel pedal casings having random arrested corrosion washes?

Not for me.

3. Are random small variances in appearance details acceptable or even interesting on a new electronics item that is immediately destined for the sole of your shoe anyway?

No. Variances in appearance scream lack of quality control to me.

Edit Re. #2 and 3:
    I really don't care for relic'd or "road worn" gear, but I think I went overboard with my initial responses and missed the point of your questions. When I read "small variances" I immediately thought of small imperfections that I have noticed (particularly) in some manufacturers' (not SD's) paint jobs.

Actually, the finishes on the last two pedals are my favorites of all the samples, and the last pedal would be my top pick except that the effect of the finish is so extreme that, in my view, it detracts from the clarity of the graphics. I think the arrested corrosion idea is a good one and I expect that variations in pattern and hue inherent in the process would not detract from the appeal.

Back to Graphics - IMO Seymour Duncan pedals have great names and exceptional graphics. I would be careful to avoid compromising either of those characteristics in the effort to differentiate the MIA and import lines.
    Last edited by Lazarus1140; 12-07-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Mojo's Minions

I like the silver one better than all the others. The rest of it in my opinion is nothing compared to how it sounds and functions. I think black should be an option too.

-Doesn't bother me. Will no doubt bother some others. Catalinbread are a company you can look to for an example of multiple colour runs done well. Also as a company that knows how to hire a graphic designer/illustrator.

-I have no problem with that. Pedals 'relic' anyway. Minty appearance is not a concern for me. One cost effective way to achieve this is to have the 'wear' be incorporated into the graphics, rather than the enclosure. The old photoshop-distressed trick. Nice when done well.

Probably not, but you and I both know aesthetics are a huge deal for many pedal freaks.

Frank, all this is good and well, and it's always nice to see a company pay attention to the look of their products, as it means they have some understanding that the music biz is part fashion biz by nature.

But if I were you, I'd be concentrating all your firepower on two areas: reducing footprint and above all SOUND. Seymour Duncan is a great company that make great products, and you pedal folks have some game-raising to do to meet that rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

NOT a fan of reliced guitars, but i LIKE THE CONCEPT ON PEDALS ! - for real !

I welcome the reliced pedal idea !!!
    Last edited by SirJackdeFuzz; 12-09-2010 at 06:25 AM.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Junior Member Johnny Starantino's Avatar

I totally agree with bluesbend =3
    "Silence has a voice and true music teach you silence..."

"Dude, lower the volume..." Said the Drummer.

LOL!

grapeskeletons

Depends on how good the pedal is, but like others have said, this will just lead to people opening boxes and tracking down their faves on eBay. You could offer several colors and let people choose, though, like Catalinbread did with their DLS overdrive. That would be nice.

Definately not. I put all my pedals into nice boards and like to keep them clean. Then again, I fall into the 30-45 year old demographic, who knows what teenagers are into. I have bought a LOT of pedals. Maybe more so than pickups. I like the solid painted look ala Maxon 9-series.

Your assumption is a fallacy, unfortunately. They are immediately destined for a nice board and to be well cared for if they sound right, since pedals are an investment. I do like random swirls as others had mentioned.

But I think there's a big difference between "beater" pedals--like a $40 overdrive, where people wouldn't care as much, and "high end" pedals with a higher price point--more of a longer thought process and a lot more pickiness goes into anything above $80-$100.

Ultimate Tone Slacker xxxplorer's Avatar

If you can choose the color, then it would be cool... but you will have people eventually wanting to collect the harder to find colors... which could also be cool. I like to switch the guts of some of my boss pedals around for fun; different look on the board and also to throw people off of what I'm using. For example, the SD-1 isn't an SD-1... it may be a modded DS-1 or a BD-2 for all you know! I just like yellow hehe.

Relic'd, no but I love those brown stained almost woody looking versions.

Small variations are ok with me as long as they are not paint globs or careless... but if they are random variations from a human not getting the font perfect each time, or just honest human variation... then awesome. Adds a touch of human too it just like a chef's plate.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

I'm new here...and it's cool that a company that puts out such great sounds would do a poll like this. My 2 cents:

I know I wouldn't like that. I want to know what I'm getting. Someone mentioned color coded boxes...that's a cool compromise. My preference is the white finish. It's unique and looks great. Think you might be confusing the issue with too many choices. In the end it's about the sound you're getting.

Yeah. You could make one standard color (like the white) and have a separate corrosion wash line for people who want that.

If you mean the different shades of arrested corrosion washes...I can see where someone who's particular might be upset 'cuz someone else got a cooler looking wash. Be kind of silly, though...the whole idea is that it just "turned out that way and who cares". That's why I think you want one standard color and then the washes as an option for someone who likes that look.

btw: from a marketing investment point of view, you might be opening yourself up to a loss if you put out different colors. If one look takes off and nobody's interested in the other(s)...
    Last edited by gitapik; 01-02-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by guitarstv View Post
    1. Personally i would want to choose exactly what pedal i'm getting if i'm buying it new.
    2. I don't really like relic guitars, let alone amps and pedals.
    3. Minor detail differences don't really appeal/detract from a pedal in my opinion.
    +1

Thanks for asking!

Bad idea. If I'm spending $150+ on a pedal, I don't want to get hosed by receiving the electric pink version "randomly".

As odd as it sounds, I think guitar players are more picky about the condition oftheir pedals than the condition of their guitars!!! I would say "no" to relic'ing pedals. A worn guitar shows lots of practice and use. A worn pedal shows mistreatment.

I don't know really what you are asking here. If you are talking about relating the initial two questions together broadly, then I would say that variances in detail are important, even though it is a pedal. People are spending lots of money on a board full of pedals, and I don't see them being ok with "random" cosmetics. (edit - if you are talking about hand-painted enclosures, I can see that being ok depending on the style of the artwork.)
    Last edited by The Dali; 01-06-2011 at 09:57 AM.
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Quote Originally Posted by eschoendorff View Post
    I would like to echo the sentiments of all the previous posts.

However, given Seymour Duncan's reputation as a manufacturer of QUALITY items for guitarists, I would like to see SD raise the bar and make their pedals look as professional as possible.

Random fun colors, textures, etc give the pedals a consumer look - to me. If I were going to drop some serious $$$ on a pedal, it had better be a high quality unit, with a professional look.

If I want a pedal that looks like it was a 2nd grade art project, I'll buy Zvex. If I want professional, I should be drawn toward Seymour Duncan.

Just make sure that the pedal cosmetics demonstrate that whats inside is high quality professional level gear.

I love this. I agree 100%
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Frank,

Bart from effectsdatabase.com here, I tried to mail you yesterday, but the mail address on your business card does not work...

(and your PM box here is full)

Ultimate Tone Member briggleman's Avatar

So where are the new pedals?????????????

There were prototypes at NAMM, I was allowed to take pictures of 1 of them (with and without Frank's fingers over the labels, but I'm only allowed to post the first one now), but pictures of the other one were posted by What's That Dude Play.

I wanted to ask Frank how much I could tell about the 2nd pedal (or nothing at all?), but since the pictures are already online I suppose it doesn't matter anymore...

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model...uncan/cocktail

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model.../chorusflanger

Zuhahahaologist daemon barbeque's Avatar

1) As long as it's not boring, take interesting colours and graphics, use High class knobs and glowing prints. Special runs and "same colour/different graphics" would be a cool addition.
    The dieffernt plain colors might bring confudion on the boards, but unique finishes will remain unique. As long as I know what I get, I em game.

2) I don't like reliced equipment. That's my answer

3)Like my first answer, I would like it.