Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Just cranked a tube amp for the first time in my life.

Default Re: Just cranked a tube amp for the first time in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightburst View Post
    Welcome to the T-side Diego! Once you played a tube stack, you don't wanna go back!
    But it gets even better, this was just a peavey... Just wait till you ever get the chance to crank some of the big boys... Mesa, Bogner, Diezel, VHT, Soldano, Marshall etc.
    I did record with a Triple Rectifier before, but I didn't crank it, not even close.

I liked the Peavey a lot more, the sound is much more focused and transparent and chewy, the Rectifier was much more massive and hollow in the mids somehow. Super stiff too, zero sag. Didn't really like it, a good sound but not my sound. Maybe cranked it comes to life? It's 150 watts after all...

Still, from what I've read here and from other's experiences,
    I'm quite positive that the day I get to crank a Bogner Ecstacy I'll be reborn.
    Last edited by Diego; 11-10-2010 at 05:55 AM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Ultimate Tone Slacker IanBallard's Avatar

Then you just have a finite number of generic tones that you are stuck with. Tube amps have TUBES, which can be swapped out, re-biased and bam... new tone. I have to admit there are a few analog pedals like the Catalinbread Formula 5 and the Box of Rock that have frighteningly amp-like response. But the FEEL of a tube amp can never be emulated digitally or in analog. Only power tubes can push speakers the way they do. The point is that the sometimes inconsistent sizzle and swell of tubes is APPEALING to most guitar players who seek an organic and touch-based sound. I'm sure the modeling amps and AXE-FX and all that stuff are great, but they lack something. That something must be significant for it to dominate the market share.

Quote Originally Posted by 357mag View Post
    Don't knock solid state and software modeling though. Plug into a POD X3 and you will hear the exact Marshall tone. It's like standing in front of a JCM-800 stack and letting it rip.
    Who let you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    NOTHING beats a guitar plugged into a pedal board full of digital sim boxes, followed by a Boss GT-10 then maybe a G-major, going to a Crate Powerblock into a cab.
    And theres no getting rid of you!

Screw that digital crap! don't even compare for distortion gain, when I had the tone lab the cleans were real good though. I though i would try a box of rock through my Engl clean channel Naaa sounded crappy didn't have the warmth of my distortion.
    tone slut
    Marshall DSL 40C
    Fender EVH Striped Series
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
    Fender Squier Tele Affinity
    Mogami cables

That's me in the corner - that's me in the spotlight, losing my religion.

Welcome to the Dark Side.

enjoy your stay.
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLivingDead View Post
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Cool, Diego. You'll never hear ss the same again.

My first amp was a tube amp, so my first cranked experience was the first day I had it. Unfortunately, it was 1982, so the stores were all pushing SS crap, and there was no huge selection of affordable tube goodies. The tube amps were out-dated and expensive, so I had to wait until the 90s before I could get into a cranked tube sound from a new amp again.
    Last edited by guitfiddle; 11-10-2010 at 02:08 PM.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Tubes are king.
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by astrozombie View Post
    Just wait until you crank an ENGL amplifier.
    fixed

Seymour Duncan Customer Support sosomething's Avatar

Congrats, Diego.

You now actually understand modeling gear.

I think the whole point of it has not been to replace tube gear...

...Just to try to get that sound in a small box you can plug headphones into and carry around in a backpack...

I applaud them for trying, and I hope one day they succeed, but as you now really know, they're not there yet.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar

Diego,
    Now you should buy an attenuator and have a good time, all the time. BTW, did you feel like it went to 11?
    My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special(neck)) ->

BadHoarsie1 -> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Ultimate Tone Slacker woemoejack's Avatar

Congrats Diego! I bet you have a NAD in less than a month. You've been GAS'd!

Line 6 has done a remarkable job emulating amps in their POD series. I would never use it if it didn't sound good. I'm pretty picky about my guitar tone and since most people can't crank tube amps for obvious reasons there is no beating the POD for tone. Tube amps sound like **** especially when run soft. Loud they sound good but soft quite the opposite.
    Who are you, do you work for Line 6?? You need to clarify your last sentence there, broseph... You made two statements:

1. Tube amps sound like sh*t
    2. Tube amps sound especially like sh*t when run soft
    Beer me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Man, I get so tired of the crock of sh!t on the web that states that a tube amp can't sound good low. That's just bs on top of bs. Sure, for OVERDRIVE a tube amp sounds better cranked, but tubes make cleans sound better than most ss amps, too.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Line 6 has done a remarkable job emulating amps in their POD series. I would never use it if it didn't sound good. I'm pretty picky about my guitar tone and since most people can't crank tube amps for obvious reasons there is no beating the POD for tone. Tube amps sound like **** especially when run soft. Loud they sound good but soft quite the opposite.

I've spent nearly every day of the last 10+ years involved with audio production of some sort or another and I've yet to ever have anyone plug into a POD, then into a real amp and prefer the bean. Nor do I know anyone who's working a lot and had that experience. Just doesn't happen.

Tube amps sound good at lower volumes too... last week I made some audio clips & had to send 'em around to a handful of people and they were all raving about the tone. Tone I got from a Zvex distortron into a Pro Jr at a volume that was no louder then a typical TV set.

Go figure...

I dig solid state amps too. My hughes & kettner sees about as much recording time as the Pro Jr, Orange or anything else...
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Ultimate Tone Slacker andrizzle's Avatar

they have done a good job of EMULATING tube amps... which in itself is why tube amps are superior

you don't see any tube amp makers saying... "MAN, those models sure do sound sweet, let me emulate a POD"

I have listened to the best of the Line6 POD stuff (X3Live, HD series, etc) and while I'll agree it's pretty great, it doesn't match the feeling and the sound of tubes... if you are in a setting where volume might be an issue it is a good alternative.... but to say you'd PREFER the POD to tubes might indicate the need for an aural exam .... unless you've just become accustomed to terrible tone, which is highly possible

Sorry so off topic OP.....

Diego, welcome to the light side, it's so much better here for sure, your tone will never be the same (read: infinitely better) once you've converted, and your ears should thank you!

I've played through loud tube amps, and I've played through loud solid-state amps. They don't sound the same at all, but once you get by that, there's the feel to account for. When I crank up my tube amp, I don't have to work it as hard. My hands loosen up, I notice the way I'm picking much more, and it's easier to sound good.

I haven't played through EVERY solid-state amplifier. I haven't played through EVERY modeler. But I'm not looking for a bunch of tones. I'm looking for a great clean and a great dirt. I have yet to find a tone that feels right and sounds great for dirty tones through a modeler. When I play through tubes, it's much easier for me to get that sound. And it affects my playing in a positive way, because when I think I sound good, I play better.

I don't try to push tube amps on people. It's just not productive. There's no substitute for the cathartic moment Diego is talking about. No one can convince you. You just have to experience it for yourself. And it's not good enough just to hear it. You have to play it.

Toneologist

Ah...the POD sounds great. Plain and simple. I've made presets based off of Marshalls and to put headphones on and practice through them is fantastic. You just can't get that sound out of a tube amp low. Loud sure. But not low. Tube amps sound like crap at a low volume cuz the power tubes and speaker distortion have been removed from the equation. Tube amps especially need volume to sound optimal. Take away the volume and all you have is murky preamp fizz which by itself sounds like ****. Plain and simple.

So...if you can play your tube amp loud enough to invoke speaker distortion plus speaker movement plus power tube distortion in addition to pre-amp gain then tube amps are great. But if you are forced to keep the volume extremely low so as to not disturb the neighbors there are better solutions out there.

Realize that and live on...

Seymour Duncan Customer Support sosomething's Avatar

Ah...the POD sounds great. Plain and simple. I've made presets based off of Marshalls and to put headphones on and practice through them is fantastic. You just can't get that sound out of a tube amp low. Loud sure. But not low. Tube amps sound like crap at a low volume cuz the power tubes and speaker distortion have been removed from the equation. Tube amps especially need volume to sound optimal. Take away the volume and all you have is murky preamp fizz which by itself sounds like ****. Plain and simple.

So...if you can play your tube amp loud enough to invoke speaker distortion plus speaker movement plus power tube distortion in addition to pre-amp gain then tube amps are great. But if you are forced to keep the volume extremely low so as to not disturb the neighbors there are better solutions out there.

Realize that and live on...
    You probably won't be able to see why, but from this post we can all tell that you're full of crap and are parroting things you have read on the internet instead of speaking from experience.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Mojo's Minions Christopher Caruana's Avatar
    the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Don't knock solid state and software modeling though. Plug into a POD X3 and you will hear the exact Marshall tone. It's like standing in front of a JCM-800 stack and letting it rip.

2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Mojo's Minions

[QUOTE=So...if you can play your tube amp loud enough to invoke speaker distortion plus speaker movement plus power tube distortion in addition to pre-amp gain then tube amps are great. But if you are forced to keep the volume extremely low so as to not disturb the neighbors there are better solutions out there.

Realize that and live on...[/QUOTE]

I have 2 sub 25 watt tube amps that will argue with that.
    Last edited by karpathion; 11-10-2010 at 12:04 PM.

That's me in the corner - that's me in the spotlight, losing my religion.

IMO, Line 6's emulations on the POD and Spider amps are some of the worst modelling software out there. Really. I've tried to get along with them, but was never able to dial in anything that didn't sound digital or artificial.

I've tried Korg and Vox's modelling software and its much better. The tones are much more useful and sound closer to the models they're supposed to emulate. They're nothing compared to a good tube amp, but way better than Line 6, IMO.
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLivingDead View Post
    DON'TGETMADBRO