Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Just cranked a tube amp for the first time in my life.

Toneologist

Default Re: Just cranked a tube amp for the first time in my life.

Posted by Ted Weber himself:

"Here are some facts to consider when using an attenuator. Attenuators do work. They are not the cause of transformer failures. An attenuator can only simulate two out of the four components that are involved when you crank up an amp. The four components are #1 preamp tube distortion, #2 power tube distortion, #3 speaker distortion and #4 the physical movement of air that your speakers produce at high volumes. So the two components missing are speaker distortion and the physical movement of air and these are huge components! So if you’re playing at moderate volumes and just want to tame the amp down to get a bit of power tube breakup then an attenuator is a great tool, but do not expect to be able to dime your amp and then use any attenuator on the market to get the exact same sound from your amp at whisper quiet volumes. You can't get there from here. You would be better off with a one watt amp."

I outlined these reasons earlier. Without volume you lose out on the speaker moving air plus speaker distortion.

Read and learn.

Mojo's Minions

I think someone just wants to argue.

That's me in the corner - that's me in the spotlight, losing my religion.

...back to the OP,

I'm feeling very lucky that I have the opportunity to crank up my Mark 5 whenever I want to (with respect to the wife). When others say its a living, breathing monster, its true. Only tube amps - not necessarily cranked - exhibit playing dynamics that you'd never get from a cranked SS.

So once again, welcome to the tube club. There's nothing more exhilirating than finding an amp's "sweet spot" and playing in that zone. That's when guitar, amp & musician come together to be one.
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLivingDead View Post
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Toneologist

Put the master volume on your amp at 4 and play for 10 minutes. Then turn it down to 1. The sound will change drastically. It's much more fun and it sounds better when it's at 4 than 1. And the man who had a great reputation in building speakers and attenuators has explained why.

Quote Originally Posted by karpathion View Post
    I think someone just wants to argue.
    Yeah, we've all heard this argument before... its quite boring and done to death.

Where's Blueman335?

DON'TGETMADBRO

Quote Originally Posted by 357mag View Post
    Put the master volume on your amp at 4 and play for 10 minutes. Then turn it down to 1. The sound will change drastically. It's much more fun and it sounds better when it's at 4 than 1. And the man who had a great reputation in building speakers and attenuators has explained why.

okay, okay we get it. we're not stoopid.

We just don't see what your argument has to do with the OP and the intent of this thread.

DON'TGETMADBRO

Read and learn.
    I'd rather play and listen, thanks.

When asked I always use the example of a muscle car versus a Honda.

It is seat of your pants, can't believe it is legal, fun versus it will get you from point A to B.

Ah...I played DSL's and JCM's and AVT's...they sound good when played loud but they fizz out when played soft. It's painfully obvious that you have never been within 5 feet of a POD let alone actually tried one out. The emulations are remarkable.

And I got better ears than you...
    In my experience, the AVT amps sound best around the "0" mark.
    "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

So the two components missing are speaker distortion and the physical movement of air and these are huge components!
    So (not to return on this to much), what you are telling me is that the tube amp at low volumes won't have these two components of the sound, but will still have preamp distortion and that tube response and warmth, BUT, the modeler will not have the first two either, minus real preamp tube breakup and the response of tubes?

I'm sold.

Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_T View Post
    In my experience, the AVT amps sound best around the "0" mark.
    Actually the AVT amps sound pretty good without breaking the bank. Marshall probably should have kept the development up on those. I've owned about 3 or 4 AVT amps and live they sound like Marshalls cuz they are Marshalls.

This is the stupidest argument you've made so far. You're trying to tell a bunch of people who just got done telling you cranked tube amps sound better that cranked tube amps sound better. WE KNOW.

Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    This is the stupidest argument you've made so far. You're trying to tell a bunch of people who just got done telling you cranked tube amps sound better that cranked tube amps sound better. WE KNOW.
    Maybe you should refer back to the poster that made the claim that tube amps also sound good soft? Heh?

welcome to the club, i just got a Peavey 3120 and i am in tonal heaven..even the clean channel sounds amazing on this amp and my pedals have taken on a whole new life with this amp..it is OVERKILL for my situation but i got it for a great price and while a smaller head would've been ideal i was not able to find a 2 channel high gain head under 30 watts that didn't cost an arm and a leg..i will more than likely sell my tech 21 TM60, but i can see why Les Paul like the TM60 so much, it has very impressive cleans and when i changed the speaker and put the Damage Control Solid Metal pedal in front of it was able to cranke out some very sweet metal tones...

a co-worker loaned me the pod for a few days and i have to say i wasn't very impressed when i tried it direct into a 2 channel mixer through a boom box, my sansamp GT2 had better rock tones than the pod

Mojo's Minions

Wow! I feel like I'm stuck in a temporal loop.
    It's like everything keeps going in circles.
    Which one of you guys is messing with quantum physics?

Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by xntrick View Post
    a co-worker loaned me the pod for a few days and i have to say i wasn't very impressed when i tried it direct into a 2 channel mixer through a boom box, my sansamp GT2 had better rock tones than the pod

Through a mixer and into a boom box? WTF? It would help if the POD haters would learn how to use their POD's. How about investing in a set of Sennheiser headphones and listening through the phones? Also I would not recommend using a POD in front of an amp as it doesn't really serve any purpose.

Holy ****...

Mojo's Minions Christopher Caruana's Avatar
    the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Through a mixer and into a boom box? WTF? It would help if the POD haters would learn how to use their POD's. How about investing in a set of Sennheiser headphones and listening through the phones? Also I would not recommend using a POD in front of an amp as it doesn't really serve any purpose.

Holy ****...
    dude......what's up with the POD fetish?
    2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Holy ****...
    I just plugged mine into a really, really nice pair of Sennheisers. It doesn't change the fact that it doesn't sound as good as the amp. Read my previous post on this page.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Caruana View Post
    dude......what's up with the POD fetish?
    Some people really like certain pieces of gear. I can certainly say I have been responsible for such fixations in the past (the PRS CE era of my stay on this forum, sorry about that, lol). Then again, it's a forum, and those opinions will be challenged by others who do not agree. It's the nature of the beast.

Holy ****...
    i forgot to mention, i did try it with a pair of Shure earbuds and still i wasn't impressed...

Mojo's Minions Christopher Caruana's Avatar
    the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Quote Originally Posted by phil_104 View Post
    I just plugged mine into a really, really nice pair of Sennheisers. It doesn't change the fact that it doesn't sound as good as the amp. Read my previous post on this page.

Some people really like certain pieces of gear. I can certainly say I have been responsible for such fixations in the past (the PRS CE era of my stay on this forum, sorry about that, lol). Then again, it's a forum, and those opinions will be challenged by others who do not agree. It's the nature of the beast.
    true that. I get that way about LP's and Marshalls. for me, the LP/Marshall combo is the best thing since sliced bread
    2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre