Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: User Group Day - Accounts, Impressions and Photos

WGTP

Default Re: User Group Day - Your Accounts, Impressions and Photos

Really sorry I missed it. A funny thing, we played Friday Night at Pepe Delgatos. When I looked it up on the interweb, there is the one in OKC that we played at and also one in San Luis Obispo. I was hoping there was some sort of portal so I could go back and forth between them.

It occured to me when I thought about going that I didn't know what pup to wind. Might have gone for an S-Deco with screws and studs like a Screaming Demon.

The whole day was incredible. For a science geek like me, it was totally cool to talk with the R&D team and see how they make their magic. It does boarder on the miraculous how this company breaths life into inanimate objects. One of the best parts for me was sitting in Seymour's office, asking questions, and getting these wonderful, story-filled replies. He is truely the modest master.

Everyone at the factory was so friendly and supportive, it was like hanging out at your best friend's house. Evan, Wayne, Dewi, everybody - You are the best!

I posted a few pictures in the picture area of the forum.
    Many, many thanks to everyone for an amazing day!

-Dave (Gimme Three Steps)

Talking Re: User Group Day - Your Accounts, Impressions and Photos

That's me with three pickups and a backpack wearing a blue shirt! I only took home one of those three pickups home though.

Photo by Great_Kazoo.

Play it like you mean it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
    Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.

Also sorry I missed it. Finances/schedule just didn't allow for it this year.

Thanks to all for posting the pics/stories. It looks like it was a very cool event provided by a very cool company that is genuinely appreciative of it's customer base. You really can't ask for more than that.

I had an AMAZING time at UGD, the entire staff were amazing. Seymour is the real deal, one of the coolest dudes I have ever had the privilege of meeting. It was like Disneyland for guitarists, such a unique opportunity. Thank you Evan and everyone else(I know there were a lot of people)who helped make it happen. Highlights included MJ who was, as everyone has mentioned, an inspiration and sweetheart, such incredible passion for tone and music. And Seymour telling amazing stories, wish I had the whole thing on video. To be honest though everything was amazing. I fell in love with the Jazzmaster they had out in the demo area. Hearing and playing the Zephyrs was a unique treat. In the a/b test with the non Zephyr featured pups, the Zephyrs sounded like a 12 string, with amazing harmonic overtones. And the fries at the dinner.....damn those fries were good...
    Last edited by slicepaperdavid; 08-28-2011 at 06:46 PM.

It was really awesome meeting all of you (and getting to hear some of you play). It was so nice to see that folks would travel so far to come visit Seymour Duncan, in a way that is very humbling. Seymour truly is a modest guy and that reflects well in the company culture. Personally, I enjoyed listening to MJ in the Custom Shop show all the history and also Frank showing the Zephyr (fantastically bright). It was great to interview Aceman, RJ, Robert, Joe Gore and others and I hope to get a video up for you (hopefully this week). By the way, for those that were interviewed, if you want your band site to be featured in the video, please PM me a link.

I got to play a sweet Jazzmaster during lunch and best of all meet you all!

Had an amazing time this weekend and I cant wait for the next one. Everyone at Seymour Duncan was great to all of us. My favorite part was seeing my brother in law Bob get up and sing a few tunes with the band and other members.

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

The Dog Ate my Custom Wound Pickup....

So I get back to my friend's place Saturday night. He's out but he left me a key. So i go in and start setting my stuff down. I put my bag of Duncan goodies on the floor, and go get my guitar. When i get back, the dog (Akida-type) is sniffing in my Duncan bag. The dog proceeds to pick up the bag with the pickup I wound (Zebra 9k PG!) in it's mouth. So I say "Here poochy poochy" and attempt to get the animal to put the pickup down. The dog runs off into the kitchen with pickup in mouth!. A brief chase ensues, and the dog get's away!!!!!!

So I'm looking for the dog - and more importantly the pickup all over. I even check through the doggie door into the garage, because it's obvious the dog hangs out in there and plays. After a short while the dog shows up in the kitchen, without the bag. Now I'm really worried. It's decent sized house, and the thing could be anywhere, and I don't want to go totally tearing up my friend's place (but I will if i have to...). My heart is beating at a very unhealthy pace...

I decide that maybe I can get the dog to show me where it put the pickup by pretending to want to play with a doggie toy, thinking that's what he was doing in the first place. So I get a toy and hold it out and shake it a bit "Do you want to play boy?" Sure enough the dog starts moving away like it wants to play.

It moves out into the garage. I'm thinking cool - it looks like plays with stuff and hangs out there in the garage a lot, so it's in here somewhere! I'm looking around all over the garage and think cool, I'll find in here behind something. Cool - until I see the dog run out ANOTHER doggie door in the garage to the outside!!! AHHHHHHHHH - the mutt has dropped my pickup in a hole somewhere in the hills of Simi Valley!!!!!!!!

I proceed outside, still under the guise of playing with the beast. We go over to the patio and onto the grass. It's dark and there is a whole lot of California hill out there. I'm not real optimistic at this point. I'm looking around though, and I notice the bag out of the corner of my eye just laying there - and the pickup was in it!!!! My pulse returns to normal finally!!!!!!

I did not let that pickup of of me until about 10 minutes ago! I could not believe that some ill trained half dingo might have ran off and buried my pickup out in the hills somewhere. The animal at a couple of other points in the evening managed to jump up and walk around on the kitchen table and piss on the leg of my bed. I don't think he liked me. The feeling was mutual.
    Last edited by Aceman; 08-29-2011 at 06:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Dawn Of The Shred TheLivingDead's Avatar

Jesus, man. I would've flipped ****. Glad you got it back.

Ace, Glad you found your pickup...I installed mine already so the dog won't eat mine, I wonder if Seymours english bulldog has a taste for pickups?

Aceman shreds the Crazy Heart guitar

I am obviously not an objective reviewer - but I'll try to be. I'll say that that was one of those guitars you pick up and you just KNOW it will be awesome. It was clearly built with extra love added to the glue, the finish, the gold plating, just everything.

If you haven't seen the movie Crazy Heart, go see it/Netflix/HBO/rent whatever. Look for Evan's story about it. Like I said - if you had no idea about where it came from, you would think it was amazing. Then, when you hear the whole story behind it - the mojo is just immeasurable.

There is a pic of Joneser with it in the kitchen I think....not sure what it was doing there!?!?!?
    Last edited by Aceman; 08-29-2011 at 06:47 AM.

Beater used Schecter guitar - $200
    Set of Duncan Antiquity pickups - $236 (not including employee discount)
    Seymour Duncan - Priceless!

After the 35th Anniversary Tele-Gib incident, Seymour moved on to another guitar. "I picked this up for a couple hundred dollars, it's great playing little guitar. I put some Antiquities in it." This shot is from the Company Picnic the next day.
    Last edited by Aceman; 08-29-2011 at 06:42 AM.

Me & my new buddy Warren DeMartini

Warren shredding it up with Seymour. Don't see him working the Gretsch that often, or ever actually!

Let's talk about Custom Shop pickup building....

That makes those pups we made worth $200.

MJ's wall of awesome

MJ, just awesome

Want to build the perfect pup, you'll need this stuff

The custom shop was just awesome (<= this word can't be over used here). Saw the Frankenstein prototype, and picks of MJ with just everyone you ever heard of and want to sound like! It was amazing just listening to her tell about working woth all those people and all of cool vintage stuff they have there and working with Seymour.

Shop talk...

The original Gibson pickup winding machine - from where all 59's, PG's etc come. I have two pickups that were wound on that very machine currently

The MAGNATIZER - wonder what Blueman would do with that?

Look at all this creamy goodness. Sadly, we know they are all destined to be separated...

Vintage stratty goodness, just hangin out (on paper clips!)

For being the Maketing/artist relations guy, Evan knows all about this building stuff

Because, like, Joe doesn't have a Bogner Ecstasy in the back of his truck...

That Bogner did indeed rock hard!

Asshatologist

Wow you guys had Bahn Mi.

I knew you guys had soft spots for us viets.

Some of the Jam highlights IMO -

Hearing Seymour play anything! He is a bad@$$ mofo.
    Evan threw down on Copperhead Road!
    Stormy Monday was awesome with SD & UG guys!
    The Green Onions jam was very cool. Had four guitars on that at one point. Infrared/Pete was tearing up the lead, Mike Rocker was working all the funky Duncan FX boxes, and i was laying down some hammond B3 riffage (Bogner + PG neck + Tone all the way off)
    The sudden impromtu Tush with Kat Dyson and Ronnie North w/ Bob on vocals was a heavy hitter.
    Joe tore it up on Cheap Sunglasses (nothing was damaged during the performance)
    There was a killer Gimme Three steps...
    And a bunch more.

And if there is video, you will see me playing R&R all night with Dirtbagg, and singing/playing it at the same time for the first time. No one ran from the room screaming...I thank you all.

Mojo's Minions

I'm really sorry life bit me in the rump and prevented me to attend, specially when these meetings are not made every year.

Oh welll...life goes on, I guess. But my rump is REALLY hurting!

Zebra Pearly Gates wound to 9k sitting right over there on the table. Can't wait to load it up!!!