Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Speaker Cabinet Wire?

Default Best Speaker Cabinet Wire?

And if someone says lamp cord, I will just die!

Look now..Ive got a great cabinet, (68 bassman 2x12 )some very nicer Alnico speakers ( P12N Jens / Canis Major Emi), and some great qulaity guitar cables/cords ( Monster Studio Pro 1000), along with great ProCo 14 gauge Speaker to Amp cable..so I don;t want the weak link to be a bunch of strands of cheaop lamp wire.
    Im willing to spend some money to trick out this cabinet wire. Wahts the verdict. I guess were going somewhere in the Hi-Fi realm here?

When youm look at the world fo hegh end Hi-Fi audio cables, its easy to spend 400-600 and thats on just a mid range small length cable.
    Does the internal wire in the cabinet need to be sheilded like the Speaker cabinet top amp wire?
    Lets get uppity here peeps. Whats a great quality hookup wire for my speak cab.?
    I realize this is a new frontier, most people just use the junky cheap stuf, so try and keep a open mind.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Default Re: Best Speaker Cabinet Wire?

Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    Is that what you thought about the Zephyr too?
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    Is that what you thought about the Zephyr too?
    I honestly don't give half a crap about the Zephyr, but I do know that high-end speaker cable is complete BS.

Any kind of decent 14 gauge (or thicker) stranded copper wire is going to be just fine. Anyone who believes otherwise is just looking for an excuse to spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    I honestly don't give half a crap about the Zephyr, but I do know that high-end speaker cable is complete BS.

Any kind of decent 14 gauge (or thicker) stranded copper wire is going to be just fine. Anyone who believes otherwise is just looking for an excuse to spend money.

Okay.Sorry about the Zephyr jab. I appreciate your input and will take it into Careful consideration. Thank you.

Looking for Real Life drew_half_empty's Avatar

I honestly just go to radioshack and get the thickest gauge they have--which is normally thicker than most head-to-cab speaker cable. For internal wiring and stuff you don't have to concern yourself with things like the capacitance of the plugs, which is normally a big point of debate with cables. Personally I don't buy it, I think wire gauge is really the only thing that matters, but I digress...

I don't know if they even SELL speaker wire intended for guitar cabs--like something MF would carry...

and no it doesn't have to be shielded.
    Quote Originally Posted by gibson175 View Post
    metal zones are for pussies.

#14 lamp cord will work just fine. Use #12 if you're feeling uneasy but for the short runs in a cab it's unnecessary.

If you spend any more $$ on expensive "speaker wire" you're an idiot.

Okay. but..theres one thing I dont get here. You have everything top notch..all these hundred dollar time aligned, phase cohenet etc etc cords and 75 diollar speaker cables..then when you get to the speakers..you have LAMp Cord?
    basically everything you just spent down the line is made inconsequential cause of the weak link in the chain from cabinet jack to speaker!
    I say maybe we might..just MIGHT condiser extending that quality connction all the way to the drivers?
    Call me crazy, but...is it wrong?

Yes, it's wrong. Copper is copper. Do you need better wire than Jimi Hendrix or Gilmour?

Take the $$ you save and go out for a nice dinner or buy a new pedal.

^ so your saying all this concern over signal purity stops at the cabinet with simple cheap stranded 12 gauge wire? I dont quite think you get my point.
    The integrity of everything else down the chain ; your High dollar Guitar cables ( I know most of you boneheads use cheap guitar cables- I do NOT), Expensive speaker cables, Silver solder wire and quality pots and harnesses gets nullified..by what? By the 3 feet of cheap stranded hookuop wire inside your speaker cabinet.
    What makes you all feel the need to cut off the High quality wiring agenda at the point of the speaker cabinet??
    Its not a question of was it good enuf for 'X" rockstar, or even Hendix himslef, but we are about progressing with tone-why true bypass? Hendrix didnt have that!
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 10-12-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Looking for Real Life drew_half_empty's Avatar

Okay so what EXACTLY are you wanting out of more expensive wire?

again it's just copper... are you looking for higher grade copper? Do you know if or what effect that will have on signal strength and clarity?

I assume you could effectively replace it with gold, which is known to conduct better, if you want to get gold connections on all your cables, gold jacks, arguably gold wire in the amp, gold connectors on the speaker, and from those connectors gold wires running off to the mysterious part of the speaker. Yep, that'd work.
    Quote Originally Posted by gibson175 View Post
    metal zones are for pussies.

Quote Originally Posted by drew_half_empty View Post
    Okay so what EXACTLY are you wanting out of more expensive wire?

again it's just copper... are you looking for higher grade copper? Do you know if or what effect that will have on signal strength and clarity?

I assume you could effectively replace it with gold, which is known to conduct better, if you want to get gold connections on all your cables, gold jacks, arguably gold wire in the amp, gold connectors on the speaker, and from those connectors gold wires running off to the mysterious part of the speaker. Yep, that'd work.
    Oh hell man.. pfftt..lol. Not at all. Wouldnt it be reasonable to assume you'[d have the same quality wire as your Monster Studio pro 1000 ( 100.00 /21 FT. cable)running the rest of the way from the input jack on your cabinet to the speakers?
    (by the way, not that gold jacks are bad in any sense).

..But that brings up a good point. If anything, I feel something like expensive Silver Litz wire could be BEST utilized at the cabinet to speaker connection!
    Lets not forget we are talking a some really rare and exotic gear where maybe going the extra mile could produce some very noticiable improvements in overtones or shimmer.
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 10-12-2011 at 06:56 PM.

The fuzz face Jimi used was true bypass. That's just the way they made them.

We've told you what you didn't want to hear but asked anyway. Go ahead and wire you cab with 100 dollars worth of wire and then do it with 4 dollars worth of wire. I've got a kilo buck that says you or anybody else you can find won't be able to tell the difference in a blind test.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    The fuzz face Jimi used was true bypass. That's just the way they made them.

We've told you what you didn't want to hear but asked anyway. Go ahead and wire you cab with 100 dollars worth of wire
    Thats not the issue. The whole thrust of this thread was basically to find out f something as a high end guitar speaker cabinet wire even exists. Find me the dedicated high end cabinet wire by the foot please! I'll do it!
    From there I got to wondering why suddenly the premium expenditure for cabling STOPS at the cabinet to speaker connection. No one has answered that satisfactorily yet.

OK, I'll answer that. What's good for the inside of the cab is just fine for the 3-6 feet of wire that connects to the head.

It's the nature of the low z high current signal that drives the speakers.

Now the high z low current nature of a guitar cord is different. There is some merit to cable voodoo here, though not as much as the guy who wants to sell you a 500 dollar cable would have you believe.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    OK, I'll answer that. What's good for the inside of the cab is just fine for the 3-6 feet of wire that connects to the head.

It's the nature of the low z high current signal that drives the speakers.

Now the high z low current nature of a guitar cord is different. There is some merit to cable voodoo here, though not as much as the guy who wants to sell you a 500 dollar cable would have you believe.
    Thank you!..although the Pro Co 50 dollar "fat max "speaker cable to head wire I have isnt exactly 12 gauge lamp cord.

Toneologist

I am curious about this as well, having just set up two new cabs. I'm using left over monster cables from years ago and was wondering what happens when higher guage meets lower guage at the speaker jack to the speaker.

I'm no expert in electrical aspects. Is there a benefit to lower resistance at least part of the way? Or is any section lower in gauge a spoiler for those sections higher in gauge? Or is it enough that no one section is not a high enough gauge to limit resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by gvis View Post
    I am curious about this as well, having just set up two new cabs. I'm using left over monster cables from years ago and was wondering what happens when higher guage meets lower guage at the speaker jack to the speaker.

I'm no expert in electrical aspects. Is there a benefit to lower resistance at least part of the way? Or is any section lower in gauge a spoiler for those sections higher in gauge? Or is it enough that no one section is not a high enough gauge to limit resistance?
    I fear were talking to the Flat Earth Society here.

Toneologist

Lol...maybe. I'm not taking this in the direction of high end cable vs low end. I would just like to know the impact of different gauges. I've read that 16 is appropriate for lengths up to 15 ft, and the lop cabs use 16 gauge. With my setup, I'm running 12 ft. Monsater studio 1000 into the hot plate and monster performer 500 from hot plate to speaker jack. Sounds fne to me.

When I started using the hot plate 10 years ago, I had been advised to use heavy gauge speaker wire because of it. Don't recall why. Don't recall much of anything from back then.