Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's The Most Pedal Friendly Amp?

Jessie's ghost

Default Re: What's The Most Pedal Friendly Amp?

I have a hard time getting Marshall and Marshall-esque amps to sound bad with pedals.

Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
    - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
    - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
    - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
    - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
    - Tungsten Buckwheat
    - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
    - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
    - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Ultimate Tone Member PRSfan nym 1985's Avatar

i think it really all depends tone is very subjective i like fenders, marshalls, voxes, hiwatts, blackstars, oranges, egnaters, carvins they are all great with pedals the specific brand/model just boils down to the tone you are looking for.

Blues Deluxe, Hot Rod Deluxe, or Blues Jr amps seem to take them very well.

Right now I use a Blues Jr, and with a Fulltone Plimsoul, it sounds awesome.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

My vote is for Fender.

Quote Originally Posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    It's called a sense of humor, dude. And the poster you quoted has a good one.
    well i know that's why i said "lol"... haha

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar

Hands down my BF Pro Reverb 2x12 combo with Webers...
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

My Marshall 6100's clean channel works really well with every pedal I've thrown at it.

I find it preferable to stack ODs onto its dirty channels...

I would pick a Fender Twin or Super Reverb for gigs and a Fender Champ or Pro Jr for home. An AC 15 or AC 30 would also be cool. I like the clean channel on most of the modern Marshalls. For Stadiums, nothing quite sounds like a Hiwatt DR 103. It's freakin loud and clear. I saw Randy Rhodes in 1981, he used pedals through the clean channel of a cranked Marshall. A couple of years later, I saw Stevie Ray use pedals with a cranked Fender Vibrolux. 15 years later I saw Buddy Guy with no pedals and cranked Bogner amps. All of them sounded great. It's really a matter of taste and tweaks. Eddie Van Halen gets his sound with an array of pedals through a cranked high gain amp. So, it's really all in the hands.

Mojo's Minions

My vote would be any blackface Fender amp. From the Showman to the lowly Champ, these are good sounding amps that will handle pedals well. I've owned a vintage Twin, Tremolux, Deluxe Reverb BandMaster; plus a Fender 75 and a Super Champ with nary a problem.

If you want a channel switcher, I would then say Mesa. I have six Mesas, and all handle pedals well. Some don't have the best EFX loops, like the Mark IIIs, but they do work.

I've had less than stellar success with Marshalls, SUNN, Acoustic Control (the old ones) Kustom (ditto) and Peaveys with SOME pedals. Not that those are bad amps, but I have had problems with at least one pedal through each of those amps. The JCM800 I hd did not get along with the DOD 250 I had; the SUNN hated a Tube Screamer, etc.

I hope that helps.

Bill