Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest me an overdrive pedal that's creamy and REALLY fat sounding.

Default Re: Suggest me an overdrive pedal that's creamy and REALLY fat sounding.

Fulltone OCD

the reason I don't like it is that it's creamy and fat sounding. But if that's what you want, then there ya go.

Default Re: Suggest me an overdrive pedal that's creamy and REALLY fat sounding.

The Green Rhino fits the description perfectly. It mates really well with clean or gainy amps, fat sounding, has some crunch, and the sustain is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    I'm almost thinking you want fuzz - not an overdrive. Smooth and creamy is some sort of dense fuzz. Not OD. To me...
    Thats so brilliant and true, I was going to post that, and thought nah..but yeah.

Other than that, I'll tell you what, if you want a big fat thick creamy chocolate malt of a OD, than the winner and still undisputed champion of the world is the TS 808.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Don't think I didn't think the same too regarding fuzz, Jerry.
    But then I understand you usually want fuzz in front of an overdriven amp, not a clean one right?
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Ultimate Tone Member PRSfan nym 1985's Avatar

I was going to also suggest the Wampler and the OCD (the Robin Trower Overdrive is also a nice option).

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    But then I understand you usually want fuzz in front of an overdriven amp, not a clean one right?
    I don't think that is the general rule anymore. Depending on the pedal it can work well with fuzz into clean amp. The Voodoo Labs Superfuzz sounded good going into a clean amp. It went from ODish to over-the-top fuzz. It also had a knob so you could control your mids. Pretty cool pedal.

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Smooth and creamy is a continuum, and the "smooth and creamies" are a rare segment of OD, a larger batch of distortion, and the majority, or a good batch of fuzz.

Of course, there are your raucous and raunchy fuzzes too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Uptonogood

I don't know if it will work for you, but I love daisy chaining my Hendrix Fuzzface with a Marshall Bluesbreaker v1. As long as I keep my volume on the sweet spot on the guitar this is what I feel like.

Fuzz pedals have a very distinct kind of smooth though. It's nothing like having a creamy high gain amp, at least that's what my ears tell me.

man there's a lot of great suggestions. that video actually made me want the green rhino. and that plush cream sounds GREAT too and it's funny that they played devotion. kind of obscure.

Quote Originally Posted by guitfiddle View Post
    If you're really into smooth, then the Zen Drive might be for you. It's reviews point to it being too smooth for some players. Other than that, you can simply place a 7 band EQ right after your dirt box, and get the low-mid heavy tone you like that way.
    This was going to be my recommendation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNptl...eature=related

The MXR Classic Overdrive is creamy and easy on the wallet.

BBPreamp , OCD, Jetter Red Shift

fuzz is great into a clean amp.....better in a lot of ways cos the clean headroom allows that epic bottom end thru. Fuzzes, unlike overdrives do not trim off any bass frequencies

for overdrives i reckon the fulldrive does everything all the TS's and boutique clones do, and also gives you the mosfet mode which is fatter still. Smooth and creamy? yes definitely - especially into a fender.

still tho (i know I sound like a broken record and im sorry for that)....i reckon investing in sexy pedals is a waste of money thru a digital amp. Its just not possible to get them to work at their best the way they are designed - that applies to both the pedals and the amp.
    lol....one day you will thank me for my constant bi+ching.
    Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-27-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Quote Originally Posted by bigmack209 View Post
    man there's a lot of great suggestions. that video actually made me want the green rhino.
    I've owned a lot of really good OD pedals, and the Green Rhino really stands out for fatness and sustain. The best feature is the 100Hz knob, which was only at 3 in the above video. It sounded very Robben Ford-ish in the clip, but can get even thicker.

I'm also interested in the newest MXR Custom Modified Badass Overdrive, because I think it may be similar to the Green Rhino. It's also got Jorge Tripps behind it, and also features the 100Hz knob. Think of it as the FAT control.
    I only run my Green Rhino's 100Hz knob at 5 - 6. Past 7 and it's like turning your speakers into 15" bass cabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    I've owned a lot of really good OD pedals, and the Green Rhino really stands out for fatness and sustain. The best feature is the 100Hz knob, which was only at 3 in the above video. It sounded very Robben Ford-ish in the clip, but can get even thicker.

I'm also interested in the newest MXR Custom Modified Badass Overdrive, because I think it may be similar to the Green Rhino. It's also got Jorge Tripps behind it, and also features the 100Hz knob. Think of it as the FAT control.
    I only run my Green Rhino's 100Hz knob at 5 - 6. Past 7 and it's like turning your speakers into 15" bass cabs.
    i LOVE it too!!! it's the PERFECT compliment to my other 2 OD's! I love being able to dial that "FATNESS" in and out. the coolest part...is that even when it's all "swolled up", it still manages to cut through the mix!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Unseen

Amp.....pedals gets tiresome in the long run!
    Always ends up.....sounding like pedels

Quote Originally Posted by gibson175 View Post
    fuzz is great into a clean amp.....better in a lot of ways cos the clean headroom allows that epic bottom end thru. Fuzzes, unlike overdrives do not trim off any bass frequencies

for overdrives i reckon the fulldrive does everything all the TS's and boutique clones do, and also gives you the mosfet mode which is fatter still. Smooth and creamy? yes definitely - especially into a fender.

still tho (i know I sound like a broken record and im sorry for that)....i reckon investing in sexy pedals is a waste of money thru a digital amp. Its just not possible to get them to work at their best the way they are designed - that applies to both the pedals and the amp.
    lol....one day you will thank me for my constant bi+ching.
    Haha, I know I will but don't sweat it man - I regularly play into very different amps. I've played and/or recorded with a JTM45 combo, a Twin Reverb, a 6505+, a Triple Rectifier and the best of them all, a Bogner Shiva.

I know what I'm missing. But I still have fun and if I upgrade my amp, I'll still have a badass pedalboard in front of me.
    Last edited by Diego; 01-28-2012 at 06:54 AM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

I know what I'm missing. But I still have fun and if I upgrade my amp, I'll still have a badass pedalboard in front of me.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

don't mean to hijack the thread, but would a stomp box like the green rhino get a decent layer of very light gain without the fizz that i get with a TS?

This category of smooth/fat/buttery stomps can be extremely useful to the player that plugs straight into the mixer or uses non tube gear!
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    I'm almost thinking you want fuzz - not an overdrive. Smooth and creamy is some sort of dense fuzz. Not OD. To me...
    I agree, the Big Muff Pi for example, although it's very midscooped it's also thick and sounds fat, think Smashing Pumpkins guitars for reference