Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 100

Thread: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

  1. #21
    Super Toneologist JordanM82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,116

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Quote Originally Posted by astrozombie View Post
    I've never played a Carvin.

    Am I missing out on a great shred guitar?
    Flat out, Yes.
    Last edited by JordanM82; 05-11-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

  2. #22
    Ultimate Tone Member jclogston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Walkersville, MD
    Age
    43
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLivingDead View Post
    Check it!

    http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/jb200c





    I've obsessed over this guitar for years! Somehow, some way, I am going to own this.
    Can i get it without all the switches and just the toggle and volume knobs?

    Jeff
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Kiesel Aries Blood Red (M22SD/M22V)
    LTD KH Demonology
    EVH 5150 iii 50W, 1x12" EVH w/ Celestion Lynchback,
    BYOC lil' Reverb, Ibanez Mini Analog Delay & Chorus

  3. #23
    Super Toneologist JordanM82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,116

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Since everyone is griping about the scale length differences, I just thought I would point out Carvin's "25" inch scale actually measures 24 13/16" according to my recent measurements on my CS4 and a friends CT6...
    "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

  4. #24
    Super Toneologist JordanM82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,116

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Quote Originally Posted by jclogston View Post
    Can i get it without all the switches and just the toggle and volume knobs?

    Jeff
    According to the sales rep I talked to on the phone, you can change anything you desire from an options perspective. So yes...
    "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

  5. #25
    Ultimate Tone Member AdamBrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    359

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    I'll admit I don't like the headstock, but otherwise I prefer the tribute by paradise guitars:

    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    In Metal we learn that "This one goes to 11", and that 11 is one more than 10.

  6. #26
    Mojo's Minions Ascension's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham Alabama
    Age
    60
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    You can build a DC 127 that is basically the same guitar without just the actives for several hundred $$ less and even build a decked out DC 400 for less. I wonder if any of the extra $$ that is being charged for the JB tribute guitar is actually going to Becker??
    On the neck it's far far more than just the scale length that is different from the real guitar Becker played. The neck profile is much much chunkier now and the board radius on the tribute is a 12 where the real one was a 16.
    The way they feel and play is radically different. I played a Saphire Blue 1990 DC 200 with actives the M22SD and N Black Hardware and a Floyd that was a dead ringer for a couple of Beckers guitars on stage for many many years.
    Here is a live clip from 1993 playing my stock DC 200 through a JCM 900 in a club.
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=5539540
    I also have custom built 5 Carvin guitars and owned around 20 of them over the years so I know these guitars well. I once owned 14 Carvins at the same time and 11 of them were the 88-92 Shredder neck guitars like the real Becker was.
    I still own this Pearl Pink 1990 X220C.
    Last edited by Ascension; 05-11-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Fender Modern Player Tele, Mexican Strat, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.

    [

  7. #27
    Mojo's Minions Ascension's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham Alabama
    Age
    60
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Quote Originally Posted by JordanM82 View Post
    Flat out, Yes.
    On the 88-92 guitars I will agree on the later one not so much!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Fender Modern Player Tele, Mexican Strat, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.

    [

  8. #28
    Mojo's Minions Ascension's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham Alabama
    Age
    60
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    6000's or 6100's? Whats the original neck profile you mean?

    24.75 scale, 16 radius, 6000's and a super slim neck with a wide fretboard was the profile from 1988 when they went to neck through till 1993 when they went to the 25 scale. Afterward they never felt and played the same.
    I absolutely LOVE the 88-92 necks and have owned many many of those guitars over the years. The newer ones are more "traditional" in the feel of the neck and much chunkier. A Carvin built after 1992 is no where near as fast and effortless to play as the 88-92's are.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Fender Modern Player Tele, Mexican Strat, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.

    [

  9. #29
    Mojo's Minions jmh151's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,970

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    You can build a DC 127 that is basically the same guitar without just the actives for several hundred $$ less and even build a decked out DC 400 for less. I wonder if any of the extra $$ that is being charged for the JB tribute guitar is actually going to Becker??
    On the neck it's far far more than just the scale length that is different from the real guitar Becker played. The neck profile is much much chunkier now and the board radius on the tribute is a 12 where the real one was a 16.
    The way they feel and play is radically different. I played a Saphire Blue 1990 DC 200 with actives the M22SD and N Black Hardware and a Floyd that was a dead ringer for a couple of Beckers guitars on stage for many many years.
    I also have custom built 5 Carvin guitars and owned around 20 of them over the years so I know these guitars well. I once owned 14 Carvins at the same time and 11 of them were the 88-92 Shredder neck guitars like the real Becker was.
    I still own this Pearl Pink 1990 X220C.
    According to Carvin's sales rep on their bulletin board, yes. Becker is getting an artist royalty for each guitar sold. ..

  10. #30
    Super Toneologist Bfeeney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,258

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Quote Originally Posted by astrozombie View Post
    I've never played a Carvin.

    Am I missing out on a great shred guitar?
    They have one of the best feeling necks I've ever come across.
    LTD M-50 W/ AHB-1 Blackouts.
    Thinline W/GFS Classic II
    Soloist W/Duncan Detonator
    LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
    Blackstar HT5-H.
    Custom 112 cab W/G12 75T.

  11. #31
    Mojo's Minions Ascension's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham Alabama
    Age
    60
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Quote Originally Posted by jmh151 View Post
    According to Carvin's sales rep on their bulletin board, yes. Becker is getting an artist royalty for each guitar sold. ..
    Glad to hear that and if so I'm cool with the up charge.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Fender Modern Player Tele, Mexican Strat, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.

    [

  12. #32
    Mojo's Minions Fusion1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,955

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    When did they go from the original Jackson/Charvel headstock to their version which has the extra tang before the swoop?

    Ascension, the only way I like the newer Carvin pointy headstock is reversed. The extra tang thing doesn't bother me as much when the headstock is reversed for some reason. What year did they make the transition to the newer headstock?

  13. #33
    Mojo's Minions jmh151's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,970

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion1 View Post
    When did they go from the original Jackson/Charvel headstock to their version which has the extra tang before the swoop?

    Ascension, the only way I like the newer Carvin pointy headstock is reversed. The extra tang thing doesn't bother me as much when the headstock is reversed for some reason. What year did they make the transition to the newer headstock?
    They have a few different headstock options, the pointy headstock was brought back a few years ago to match their pointy reissue guitars- but it's an option, not standard.

    And they have to have the headstock this way- Jackson threatened them with legal action, so they changed it a bit. I don't see much of a difference

  14. #34
    Toneologist arellanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Age
    37
    Posts
    644

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    On the 88-92 guitars I will agree on the later one not so much!
    I never played a Carvin from that era but I do own a 96, 02, and 09 model and without a doubt the 02 neck is the best of all three. In fact, that is the best neck I have ever played on.
    Play it like you mean it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
    Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.


  15. #35
    Mojo's Minions Fusion1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,955

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Yeah I know when they brought it back as I was one of the ones hoping they'd at least bring that one back. I also know why they changed it since it was a Jackson lawsuit potential had they kept it. I was just asking when the change happened originally? 1990/1991?

    And yes there is a pretty noticeable difference to me between the 2. The Jackson/Charvel headstock is way more appealing.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmh151 View Post
    They have a few different headstock options, the pointy headstock was brought back a few years ago to match their pointy reissue guitars- but it's an option, not standard.

    And they have to have the headstock this way- Jackson threatened them with legal action, so they changed it a bit. I don't see much of a difference

  16. #36
    Super Toneologist JordanM82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,116

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    On the 88-92 guitars I will agree on the later one not so much!
    I think there was a period where I would have agreed too, but the last 3 years they have stepped up their game a good bit, they fixed the truss rod issues both of us complained about on this forum and have added a ton of features and new models (Rounded heels and better cutaways on Bolts, CT models with 24 frets, major updates to their pickups and pickup components). If you have access to some of the newer ones bro, I would REALLY encourage you to try one of the new ST300's, I was floored by the difference from my bolt-t from 2005 to a Bolt+C I played about 2 months ago from this year. The ST guitars also are just incredible, felt like a completely different company made the recent guitars.

    I have terrible GAS for a CT324, but it's gonna have to wait for the moment... if they will update the options with a vintage tremolo option for that guitar tho, there will be no waiting anymore...
    Last edited by JordanM82; 05-11-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

  17. #37
    Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tween a rock and a hard place
    Age
    51
    Posts
    17,898

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    24.75 scale, 16 radius, 6000's and a super slim neck with a wide fretboard was the profile from 1988 when they went to neck through till 1993 when they went to the 25 scale. Afterward they never felt and played the same.
    I absolutely LOVE the 88-92 necks and have owned many many of those guitars over the years. The newer ones are more "traditional" in the feel of the neck and much chunkier. A Carvin built after 1992 is no where near as fast and effortless to play as the 88-92's are.
    I had a 1990 Much like this in a lighter blue (and Kahler) that I just lost in pawn 2 days ago.. was a frigging AMAZING player! Ive had other Carvins and thought highly of all of them, but the 1990 just had "it". def a difference..

    I love the Becker model as shown to tho! And, from what I hear, JordanM82 is correct in that Carvin have made alot of changes to try to bring back the feel of the older guitars and indeed, they have added a bunch of new features..
    Last edited by BloodRose; 05-11-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

    Jol Dantzig

  18. #38
    Toneologist arellanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Age
    37
    Posts
    644

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Quote Originally Posted by JordanM82 View Post
    I think there was a period where I would have agreed too, but the last 3 years they have stepped up their game a good bit, they fixed the truss rod issues both of us complained about on this forum and have added a ton of features and new models (Rounded heels and better cutaways on Bolts, CT models with 24 frets, major updates to their pickups and pickup components). If you have access to some of the newer ones bro, I would REALLY encourage you to try one of the new ST300's, I was floored by the difference from my bolt-t from 2005 to a Bolt+C I played about 2 months ago from this year. The ST guitars also are just incredible, felt like a completely different company made the recent guitars.

    I have terrible GAS for a CT324, but it's gonna have to wait for the moment... if they will update the options with a vintage tremolo option for that guitar tho, there will be no waiting anymore...
    Imho Carvin went through a "dark age" from 2004-2007. They were really heavy on their ct line and even changed their neck profile, fretboard radius, pickups, among other things to push the ct to the public.
    Play it like you mean it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
    Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.


  19. #39
    Mojo's Minions Fusion1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,955

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    I found the answer on the Carvin Museum that they used the Jackson headstock only in 1988 and 1989.

  20. #40
    Toneologist arellanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Age
    37
    Posts
    644

    Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion1 View Post
    I found the answer on the Carvin Museum that they used the Jackson headstock only in 1988 and 1989.
    That seems about right.

    I honestly think that if Carvin would have done an exact replica of Jason's guitar then that would be an achievement. They would have to go through Jackson to make some kind of agreement for the headstock but nevertheless imagine if that was the only guitar that was offered by Carvin with that headstock and a Kahler bridge; now that would be epic!

    But then again this guitar is better than nothing I guess.
    Play it like you mean it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
    Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •