Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hughes and Kettner Tube Meister 18...awesome!

Digitally Challenged Mr 9finger's Avatar

Default Re: The Hughes and Kettner Tube Meister 18...awesome!

Probably just the video quality, but the 36 watt sounds much better.
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 9finger View Post
    Probably just the video quality, but the 36 watt sounds much better.

Musikschmidt has the best demos on the toob.

EDIT
    Also. Ollie can make everything sound anazing.
    Last edited by JeffB; 07-12-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Mojo's Minions

I've been wondering about those as well... good to see someone with good ears finds them impressive. For the price they command I'm starting to get attracted to them more and more... thanks for the review Joe!

OK. I've gone back and tried this thing with a strat, tele, LP, and P-90 Traditional Pro LP. It's really a killer amp. It's actually my favorite dual EL-84 amp I've ever played, which includes a lot of high dollar ones. This Tube Meister 18 is a great amp!

I'm thinking that if you want a great amp that does it all, the Tube Meister 36 which is coming out right now is probably the best choice. That's if you need all the headroom and volume of a gigging amp that doubles as a practice amp. The power selection control, and OFF for direct recording is it's greatest attribute outside of the tone. Up loud, down to 1W, 5W, 18W, and full on power, the 36 is something to try out immediately.

But if you're looking for a home amp....the 18W version is the best. It's just great. That's all I can say. I even ran a tele through the clean channel with volume and gain full up. It's just perfect there. This amp will literally make any guitar you have come alive. From beautiful clean to super high gain, it does it all really really good. And, it hits all the in between tones really nice too.

So, get the 36 if you need a do it all amp. Get the 18 if you need the perfect apt/house amp....and it's loud enough for small stages. They hit a home run with this amp series.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 07-14-2012 at 02:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Dammit, I don't need more GAS...LOL. Been looking at a few different amps the last few months and was really eyeing a Jet City but this may change that. Hmmm. The 36 would be more to my liking.

Mount Airy, NC, USA - My johnson can cure Halitosis!

If Gearjoneser likes it, it's gotta be pretty darned good. I have never regretted making purchases based on his recommendations alone. I'll have to check this amp out.

Her Little Mojo Minion DankStar's Avatar

I'm digging the size of the 5 watter, looks like its got a built in redbox too. Less space the better for me these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
    And their bigger offerings are quite cool too
    Yes they are! My Triamp mk2 has turned into my "go to" amp! Easily the most versatile amp I own and tone quality wise, it can hang with anything!

I haven't tried the 5W version, but I'm assuming the 18W version covers the most ground for home use. When you get to the higher wattage ones, they're great but the price is much higher too.

On the 18 and 36...
    The 1 and 5W settings give you small room sounds with a cranked tube sound. These will be two really popular amps!

I made a point of getting all 3 settings to sound good at 1W. It does everything so good, that it reminds me of when I plug into a super high dollar amp, and wish it did certain things. This F'ing amp for $599 does it all. Most amps this good only do it at high volume. This one does it all the way down to a whisper like a modeling amp.

The problem I always had with Hughes & Kettner in the past was that they always cost as much as better $3000 amps. The thing with this series is that it's like the whole Bogner lunch box series for half the money. I'm not just talking gear here, I'm going to get either the 18 or 36. They're the best medium priced amps out there. They're the type of amps where you play them and you know you're going to buy.

If I were rich, I'd buy all the Bogner lunch box heads. This amp is like scooping up a couple for $600.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 07-13-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Archer_of_Fish's Avatar

Thomas Blug did a great run through on the 18

Gravity...its just a theory

I tried one of these at the same time as an Orange Tiny Terror. I spent the whole time with the H&K trying to dial in a clean tone as nice as the Orange gave out. All that EQ control and I couldn't do it. I found it a bit sterile. Got the Tiny Terror in the end.

Geez. I thought the TT Cleans suck, so the TM18 cleans must be pretty bad.

Im quite happy with my rig, but I will go try this sucker at GC in the next few days just to hear it out.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Ultimate Tone Member

Some nice features and I'll definitely be interested next time I'm looking for an amp.

Is the FX loop solid state? I assume it's one 12AX7 for the preamp and one for the phase inverter.

The automatic bias adjustment seems like a great idea, but on the other hand, if something did go wrong with it, it could be a nightmare to fix.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Nightburst's Avatar

So you like it better than the Egnater Tweaker?

I always think those little youtube demo's sound kinda scratchy and undefined. Kinda bland actually, where's the liquid lush and clear definition?

The feautures are incredible though and if GJ likes it... aw man you just had to give me GAS, didn't you? Not again!
    Last edited by Nightburst; 07-15-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightburst View Post
    So you like it better than the Egnater Tweaker?

The feautures are incredible though and if GJ likes it... aw man you just had to give me GAS, didn't you? Not again!
    I think if you put the Egnater Tweaker 15 and Tube Meister 18 next to each other on matching 112 Vin 30 cabs, most would choose the H&K. The voicing is more to my liking, and the excellent set of features including channel switching, silent recording out, and variable power.

This amp is really too new to discuss, since it came out last week. I guess we'll let the reviews, clips, and unit sales give us an idea of it's value.

I always like to try new things, whether I'm truly interested or not. This is one piece of gear where my wheels started spinning about how soon I can acquire one. To me, it's the best small 'do it all' tube amp.

FYI, Musikshmidt has demos of the 5 and 36 watter up too. I have not been able to get over to GC to try the 18 as I have family in town. Hopefully soon.

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar

I was all settled on an AC15, but now I'm thinking of this, the Tweaker, and who knows what else. I would love love love to get one amp that would make me feel comfortable getting rid of all my other amps - it's laborious keeping up 3 amps: one for WOOF, one for KERRANG, and one for BA-LOOM.

Tried several different pre amp tubes. Ended up with the stock V1 and a EH12AT7 in V2. (tried about 7 different tubes incl the stock Class 5 tubes and the EH's in my 900)

Don't have $$$ for power tubes yet

Loving it to bits
    Amp department:
    JCM 900 MkIII 100w, EL34 (sold)
    Class 5 (pure class...)
    Hughes&Kettner TM18H
    Marshall 1965A (4x10 G10L-35's)

Guitar Department:
    Gibson Les Paul Standard
    Fernandes Japan Customshop

^ Cool, you bought one!

Did you replace a 12AX7 with a 12AT7? How did the sound change?

I tried to see what kind of power tubes it had, but the logo was facing sideways. What does it come with? Who knows....maybe you don't need to change them.

I'll bet it sounds really thick on a 412 cab, because I turned the treble up pretty high on a 112. Do you have to max out the treble to get high end cut with a 412?

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    ^ Cool, you bought one!

Did you replace a 12AX7 with a 12AT7? How did the sound change?

I tried to see what kind of power tubes it had, but the logo was facing sideways. What does it come with? Who knows....maybe you don't need to change them.

I'll bet it sounds really thick on a 412 cab, because I turned the treble up pretty high on a 112. Do you have to max out the treble to get high end cut with a 412?

It's my 1965A in the picture (4x10 with Celestion G10L-35's)
    Very "mid" focused speakers with early breakup. Nice stoner box.

Stock pre's read "12AX7 China". Didn't check power, didn't have a matched set to swap with. Only single's.

I would say the change gave more defined mids (less high)
    Amp department:
    JCM 900 MkIII 100w, EL34 (sold)
    Class 5 (pure class...)
    Hughes&Kettner TM18H
    Marshall 1965A (4x10 G10L-35's)

Guitar Department:
    Gibson Les Paul Standard
    Fernandes Japan Customshop