Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ruby tubes...are they ok are they crap?

Default Re: ruby tubes...are they ok are they crap?

Quote Originally Posted by 75lespaul View Post
    See ya next year. By the way, I wonder what happened to the OP? Hope he's okay.
    He's just fine. I still speak with occasionally, and he posts regularly on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    He's just fine. I still speak with occasionally, and he posts regularly on Facebook.
    Wow, that's great to hear. Not that I'm morbid, but you tend to worry when someone just stops posting. Thank you Mr. Jolly, aka "the man that Don Felder acknowledged", lol. That was so cool, I can't even describe it.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    I went to GC years back on a Wednesday for lunch and tried the jsx and it crushed. I looked thought the mesh and it had some older taller preamp tubes. I went home and came back the saturday to buy it and it didn't quite sound the same but I still took it home assuming it was the changed location in the store. Brought it home and sure enough the dicks at GC swapped the tubes before they sold it - not a fan and won't buy from seven corners again
    Peaveys have come stock with Ruby Tubes.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
    Nope...

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rex_Rocker's Avatar

Ruby 12AX7AC5's are by far my favorite tubes for gain stages on high-gain amps. The HG's are noisier than EH's, Tung Sols, and JJ's, I must admit, but they sound focused, gainy, and with a hint of grind in the high mids without going too over the top for high-gain. I have not tried the HG+'s.

I run those C5's in my Peavey XXX, Krank Rev Jr., and little Randall RD5 mixed with Sovtek LPS's and JJ ECC83S's in other positions. They sound good to me, and they blend well with other tube brands. They've been relatively reliable so far too.

Haven't tried many of their power tubes. Their 6V6 is alright, but it's not my favorite.

So yeah, I don't think they're bad. Many amps are designed considering these Chinese Ruby 12AX7's will be used, so they kinda sound "at home" with many amps, especially when speaking high-gain.

*EDIT* whoops, sorry. Old thread is old.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-28-2015 at 09:50 AM.

I found this thread in a google search. I registered specifically to comment on this particular thread; just to thank you all for giving me the information I needed on Ruby Tubes and to ensure that this post was resurrected before 2016 was over.

HiFiRebel

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeRomero View Post
    I found this thread in a google search. I registered specifically to comment on this particular thread; just to thank you all for giving me the information I needed on Ruby Tubes and to ensure that this post was resurrected before 2016 was over.
    God Bless You Mr. Rosewater

Toneologist

Ha ha ha!

Yeah, sometimes resurrected threads are annoying; but at the same time I often see people complain about people starting new threads when an older one is known to exist. You can't win!

Besides, based on what I'm seeing, this particular thread has become a resurrection tradition. We gotta keep it going. Lol

I actually had a discussion with an older musician the other day about matched tubes. He's been playing since the 60's and pointed out that the matched sets are a relatively new thing that started in the 80's and he felt it was a crock. Said an amp tech once showed him with an oscilloscope and tube tester how there was very little difference between using a matched set and an unmatched set. The only benefit is if the tubes are matched and graded, by getting the same grade you don't necessarily need to re-bias your amp on every tube change.

He said in the 60's and 70's they just took whatever tubes they had availalble that worked with the amp and tossed them in and set the bias.

That said, my experience is Ruby sells a decent tube. They're inexpensive, durable, and don't really sound that bad.

Mojo's Minions

Just a side note here. Got a pair of Ruby EL34BSTR's a couple months back. I usually buy burned in and matched from tube dealers but the price was real good so I gave it a shot. They were off by 8mV(mA). They got sent back. I have a different set of factory matched EL34's that were around 2mV apart out of the box. Those aren't Ruby's, and I'm not saying it's typical of Ruby Tubes to be off. Just that it happens. But hell, it happens with dedicated tube dealers too. One well regarded dealer sent me a pair of EL34's that were 9mV apart. They admitted the error and took care of it but it took them two weeks to ship me replacements. Got the original order in 3 days.

Super Toneologist

The primary benefit of Ruby tubes to me is that they are mostly rebranded stuff, ideally that would mean that the original factory ones are checked and bad ones are dumped & working ones get the label. Buying these then from a reputable dealer would mean that they get tested again & dealer also doesnt get too many defective ones in his stock inventory. Well ideally anyway.

As far as buying matched sets, not sure if it's hype but adjustable bias amps may benefit from them. However after use, the tubes do drift in their individual bias readings, so there is that to consider too. I would prefer getting a specific graded set from the same brand(e.g.JJ) if I had a adjustable bias amp with a trimpot adjust mounted on the main pcb board, that way taking apart the chassis wouldn't be necessary & if would save my time.

I do like the ruby el34str, have been using jj 6ca7 lately though since they don't need to be biased 70% hot to sound thick & smooth.

Yup, they're crap.
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Little Pigbacon

I like their Slippers range of tubes, particularly the 6L6's.

No one noticed that George Romero, director of Dawn of the Dead, registered specifically to resurrect an ancient thread?

Quote Originally Posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    No one noticed that George Romero, director of Dawn of the Dead, registered specifically to resurrect an ancient thread?
    - The email address for GeorgeRomero is thisisantiproductive@gmail.com - Weird.

Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    Ha ha ha! Never noticed that. Too funny!

Are you suggesting we have a troll who is actually funny in our midst?

I'm not a home-brewed troll. I just figured that if I'm going resurrect a dead thread, GeorgeRomero was the best choice. I'll be back around.

So your George of the Dead ...

Little Pigbacon

So I found this thread looking for information on Ruby Tuesdays. I mean Ruby Tubes. They're in this used Randal RD1H that I bought:

(2) 12AX7AC5 HG 1447
    (1) 12AU7C HG Date Code 1437

I've found the 12AX7's, but not from a dealer that does balancing or low-noise selection.

I haven't found the 12AU7 anywhere.

I'm beginning to think they are not an A-list supplier in terms of availability.

And, live from chez Sammler, it's 2017!

Mojo's Minions

Both Chinese (I think the C is China). Check Dougs Tubes, if he doesn't have the Ruby's he'll probably have the same tubes, minus the Ruby label, and he can test and match if that's what you want.

Hmm Carvin Audio has a blow out on JJ 12AX7 for $14
    Amazon has them for $10 everyday

Here

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=MQY09ITNL4RA
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

I used EH el34 that didnt last long in my dsl 40 vibrations prb dont help, 3 and 6 months on 2 sets. Tungsol 12 months a tad cooler bias and now rubys I put in last month im liking them it took 2 weeks to smooth out like the tungsols did and 35.00 a pair i ordered from GC Ruby has a 6 month warranty is one reason I bought them and wanted to try a Chinese tube again there same as Tads. Chinese use thick glass with gold plated grids its supposedly a durable tubs
    tone slut
    Marshall DSL 40C
    Fender EVH Striped Series
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
    Fender Squier Tele Affinity
    Mogami cables