Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ruby tubes...are they ok are they crap?

Default Re: ruby tubes...are they ok are they crap?

Yup, Rubyís are relabeled Chinese tubes. Ime, thereís nothing inherently wrong with them. I had some EL34ís in my JVM....sounded and worked just fine. I prefer others tubes for preamp, but thatís just personal taste.

Little Pigbacon

Iím definitely up for using whichever tube does what I need, though I admit to still being bewitched, even a little, by lore regarding places of origin and such. Tell me a good Cold War story about a Chinese factory thatís currently making 6L6ís for Groove Tubes, and Iíll probably go for it.

Little Pigbacon

I just went on Doug’s site and ordered a set of Ruby Tubes for my Randall RD1H. Two 12AX7AC5 High Grade Plus, and a 12AU7 High Grade. (Then I went to Tube Depot and ordered a Mullard 12AU7 as an alternate choice of power tube.)

Thanks for the information everyone! I stumbled across this thread looking for information because I ordered JJ tubes, received boxes of RUBY tubes, that held JJ tubes inside.... Obviously I was a little confused at first, but it's starting to make more sense now. Coincidentally enough I actually am replacing the PM tubes that are dying in my Vox AC15, and apparently PM tubes are in a similar tube sorting business as Ruby? Although maybe less forward about the fact that they don't make their own tubes. Do you guys have any experience with PM tubes, or how they fair against Ruby's tube sorting procedure???

Looks like I discovered this thread just in time... Cheers from 2018, and I hope you all have a wonderful annual zombie thread Resurrection!

Mojo's Minions

Ruby is just like Groove Tubes, they buy in bulk Svetlanas, Chinese, Sovteks tubes etc and match and rate them.

There is no "are they any good?"

There's "what kind of breakup and tone do you want and pick them from our stock"