Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Current rig pics.... what's yours?

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar

Default Re: Current rig pics.... what's yours?

Grenade - is that a Bassman 50? How do you like it? If you've ever played a 60's NMV Bassman head, how would you say it compares?

The idea of having a PPMIV or something similar (power scaling, etc) has me intrigued, but then I realize that 80% of the tone of my amp comes with hitting it hard and playing LOUD.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

It's a Bassman 70 into the Marshall 1965a 4x10. I run in channel 1 and jump to channel 2. Volumes on 6 and bright switch on. Master on 3. Out of channel 2 into the Dime, both channels on with a Corned Beef in the loop on the clean channel. Sometimes I boost it with a Blues Driver. I love how it all gels together. The Dime drives the 2 4x12 cabs. That's why they hear me in the bar next door.
    I want more me in my tone.

My bass players rigClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Bass Rig 001.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	32120 2010 American P-bass and Carvin BX 1500 into an Acoustic 4x10 and a Carvin 1 18.
    I want more me in my tone.

Here's my rig from one of our more recent gigs.

Vox AD50VT that I've been using a lot since 2006.

The pedalboard has changed quite a bit over the years but I'm happiest with it this simple.

Since this gig I've added a new Strat (Jenny) to the rotation. She had her debut gig a few weeks ago.

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar

Amps:
    DeVille
    Valvetronix
    Ultimate Chorus

Pedals:
    Wah
    Compressor
    Tubescreamer
    Distortion
    Delay
    Looper

Guitars:
    PRS SE
    Tele
    Tele
    Strat
    LPC
    Dot
    Precision
    Dreadnought
    '51
    Last edited by ImmortalSix; 09-27-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Mount Airy, NC, USA - My johnson can cure Halitosis!

Quote Originally Posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    Grenade - is that a Bassman 50? How do you like it? If you've ever played a 60's NMV Bassman head, how would you say it compares?

The idea of having a PPMIV or something similar (power scaling, etc) has me intrigued, but then I realize that 80% of the tone of my amp comes with hitting it hard and playing LOUD.
    You would be amazed at what a LAR-MAR PPIMV will do for the Bassman 50 circuit. Most amps sound their best cranked, but mine sounds awfully darned good at low volumes as well.

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8Scott View Post
    You would be amazed at what a LAR-MAR PPIMV will do for the Bassman 50 circuit. Most amps sound their best cranked, but mine sounds awfully darned good at low volumes as well.
    I've thought about it, and the conclusion I've come to is that I really don't want to muck around with my amp. I've thought about getting another Bassman at some point in the future, and if I do, I'll probably have it modified (or even learn myself) on the bass channel and have a LAR-MAR PPIMV installed.

One thing I've thought about... I bet if you modded the bass channel to sound as much like a Plexi as possible, it'd sound INCREDIBLE with the channels jumpered. The best of both worlds - Bassman grunt and Plexi grind.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Mount Airy, NC, USA - My johnson can cure Halitosis!

Quote Originally Posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    I've thought about it, and the conclusion I've come to is that I really don't want to muck around with my amp. I've thought about getting another Bassman at some point in the future, and if I do, I'll probably have it modified (or even learn myself) on the bass channel and have a LAR-MAR PPIMV installed.

One thing I've thought about... I bet if you modded the bass channel to sound as much like a Plexi as possible, it'd sound INCREDIBLE with the channels jumpered. The best of both worlds - Bassman grunt and Plexi grind.
    I have never jumpered my channels because they have an uneven number of gain stages. I get enough gain from the Bass channel alone that I don't need to jumper it anyway. For some reason, that channel is freakishly gainy for the somewhat limited number of gain stages it actually has. I can run it straight with no pedals etc and most players wouldn't believe that it didn't have some sort of pre-boost. They would likely search the amp for a soldano hot mod etc. I left half a tube unused in the gain circuitry because I'm already getting plenty of gain out of the amp and I don't see a reason to go messing with it. I boosted the midrange in the channel by wiring in a little extra resistance coming off the ground of the bass knob. I don't know if I'd say it sounds like a Plexi, but I will say the Bass channel sounds nothing like any Fender I have ever heard.

I left the Normal channel pretty much stock for the AA864 circuit as it sounds great that way. Very fendery and it sounds really good with the gain maxxed out giving the warm tubey fender sound without breaking up.

Edited to add that my amp has 3 gain stages for the Bass channel and 2 for the Normal just like the stock AA864 schematic. I have a mildly tweaked version of that design for the most part.
    Last edited by Gr8Scott; 09-27-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Ultimate Kitten Puncher King IzzO)))'s Avatar

I'm not much of a photo taker, but here's my rigs. I don't have any board, practice rig pics, or recent guitar pics.

Mark III, modified Randall Uberkab clone, G-Flex:

You can see the back of my Avatar 4x12 off to the side.

Old pics w/o grills on, before speaker swaps and restoration on the head. Peavey Butcher, 70's Kustom vented cabs, T75's in one, 65's in the other:

Last edited by King IzzO))); 09-28-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker woemoejack's Avatar

Main guitar- LP Classic

Pedals: Wampler Ecstasy > Swollen Pickle > KoT clone > Carbon Copy > DIY Boost > TU2 (also the Shiva footswitch)

Shiva 6L6 > Avatar 2x12- v30 and g12h30
    Beer me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    ...This machine runs on pr0n.

B.C. Rich USA Warlock NT standard with Duncan Distortion bridge and Alnico II Pro neck
    Dunlop Crybaby Q-zone wah pedal
    Mesa/Boogie Triaxis preamp
    TC Electronic G-major effects
    Mesa/Boogie 2:Ninety power amp
    Crate GS412s cabinet with Celestion G12H-80 speakers

Rocktron MIDImate control pedal
    audio cables are Monster Performer 500 Jazz
    MIDI cables are Hosa molded
    switching cables are Horizon braided and standard

Cool Re: Current rig pics.... what's yours?

My God that Explorer is just beautiful!

Play it like you mean it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
    Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.

Super Toneologist SongsForTheDeaf's Avatar

Current rig? Traynor YBA 2b 1976 combo with my pedalboard in my signature and a Godin LG P90 with Seymour Duncan P-90s... its pretty fuzzy over here

Name:  935974_4146051588577_229172581_n.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  105.8 KBName:  1045081_4235286099384_1083609942_n.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  137.5 KB
    Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

COOL RIGS! mine is still the same *sigh* hopefully will make some tweaks to it soon
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I mainly record in the studio now, so I have a few that I rotate between for rhythm/stereo/lead tracking.

=( #1 )=
    Attachment 43920

=( #2 )=
    Attachment 43919

=( #3 )=
    Attachment 43918

I also frequently use a 1966 Fender Stratocaster into an Orange AD50 into the Marshall 1960BX, but I don't have a "beauty shot" of it.

Why change what looks like a delicious setup!!

Awesome rigs breaubrummels!
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Unseen

Mostly use this, rotate the delays now and then, also use a Hardwire DL-8 now and then...
    Amp is all SS 22 here at home...have tried to hook up extra stuff for a dual amp setup, but it does not really do much extra that is worth the while, so I stick to the SS 22 only
    So tuner, vibe, then into amp, or one of the two fuzz pedals into amp.
    Simple and functional.....

That supersonic looks great. How are the foxroxs though ? I have heard a lot of good about them for fuzz and I'm always looks for a good fuzz pedal that cuts through!

Unseen

Thanks, Dave's stuff is great....love all the pedals I have bought from him, the Vibe is just really really useful, the CC is one cool oldschool fuzz(a variation on the old Axis fuzz).
    That and the VAD fuzz are my main fuzz pedals...lotsa cool tones in those!
    The SS 22 is just great for recording and small jobs(prolly big ones as well )

Quote Originally Posted by crguti View Post
    Bass gear to left. Guitar gear to the right.

edit: I add all my amp/pedal/cab gear to the picture. Bass and guitars are not shown.
    Glad to see another DC-5!! Here's my current rig. DC-5 & Mesa 2x12. Simple, easy to move and loud as thunder. Win win! If you look close you'll see my wah on top. Only thing in between the amp and guitar these days is a 10+ yr. old Spectraflex cable. All the junk adds mo "mojo".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1934.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	43987