2x Apex 435 Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphones
    1x Apex 180 Small Diaphragm Condenser Microphone
    1x Shure SH-55 microphone
    1x Shure SM 58 microphone
    1x Shure SM 57 microphone
    1x Peavey PVM 321 bass drum microphone

GUITAR EQUIPMENT:
    Fender MIM Tele (See sig for details)
    Traynor Custom Special 50W tube amp (YCS50)

BASS EQUIPMENT:
    2008 Squier Jazz Bass. Stock. Made In China.
    Mark Bass Little Mark II
    Traynor 1x15 cabinet.

DETAILS ON PROCESS:

All instruments were multi-tracked live off the floor for every song. The vocals were added afterward using either the SH 55 & Apex 180 with a pop filter.

Drums
    2x Apex 435 used for overhead mics. SM 58 used on the snare, angled 45 from the snare head. PVM 321 on the kick, placed off centre on upper left. Drum kit is a mutt kit comprised of a Tama Star Classic bass drum and Pearl Forum series snare and toms. Cymbals are all Sabian: B8 hi-hats, Solar Ride (not ideal I know), AAX 16" 'x-plosion fast crash', AAX 18" 'x-plosion crash'.

Guitar
    Apex 180 used in center position, a few inches from grill cloth. SM 57 used in edge placement position, right near the grill cloth at the very edge of the Celestion Vintage 30 speaker.

Lead guitar parts were overdubbed. For the overdubs, the same mics were used in the same positions plus the addition of a XLR DI out from the amp and a Apex 435 1 foot behind the amp (which is open back)

Bass
    Jazz bass (both volumes at 10, tone at 1) plugged into an Eleca compressor into the Mark Bass. EQ - Low: 6, Low mid: 6 High Mid: 5 High: 4.5 VLE: 5 VPF: 4
    SH-55 used in center position right against the grill of the 1x15 cabinet. DI line wasn't working at first and didn't notice until we tracked "Innocent", so it's the only track with the SH55 and the DI. The rest are just the mic. Bass track is doubled on Pint of Perspective and the copy track is put through a lowpass with a cut-off at 740hz. The lowest frequency the Sh55 picks up is 50 hz.

Thoughts, suggestions, and (constructive) criticism welcome!
    LISTEN/DOWNLOAD MY MUSIC!
    "Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst F Telecaster. GFS Neovin(b), Duncan Designed HB102(n)
    "Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
    "Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
    "Joy" "Vintage" 1100N Dreadnought
    AMPS!
    Traynor Custom Special 50W combo. 1x12" Vintage 30
    Mark Bass Little Mark II 500W head
    Traynor TC115 bass cabinet

Jay 77

Default Re: Gear breakdown and details on Newest Recordings! Pics

Could just be my system here but it feels like the drums are too up front in the mix. Also, you might want to consider playing to a click for recording. Good tones throughout though. Keep at it!

BerriesAndCreamologist Fender_Punk's Avatar

Default Re: Gear breakdown and details on Newest Recordings! Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 77 View Post
    Could just be my system here but it feels like the drums are too up front in the mix. Also, you might want to consider playing to a click for recording. Good tones throughout though. Keep at it!
    Thanks for the feedback. I did try to make the kick and snare quite present.

As for playing to a click, I think it's a good idea, but I've yet to convince the drummer. I should give that another try.
    LISTEN/DOWNLOAD MY MUSIC!
    "Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst F Telecaster. GFS Neovin(b), Duncan Designed HB102(n)
    "Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
    "Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
    "Joy" "Vintage" 1100N Dreadnought
    AMPS!
    Traynor Custom Special 50W combo. 1x12" Vintage 30
    Mark Bass Little Mark II 500W head
    Traynor TC115 bass cabinet