Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need advice mini humbucker for JR SG (gibson)

Default Re: I need advice mini humbucker for JR SG (gibson)

Lots of write-only posters lately.

Funkfingers

Quote Originally Posted by tiptipono View Post
    you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes? It's the most pathetic comment I've seen in years
    "sell the SG Junior to somebody who will appreciate its virtues and buy yourself an SG Standard"?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

I would appreciate it if you would stop responding here I have no sympathy for people like you
    Do yourself a favor take your pills in your favor, and of course to the public

And in response to others as they tried to help me and treated me with respect

I am looking for a different sound than p90 I wrote it at first I want to replace the p90 to mini humbucker bridge SM-2 or SM-3 to achieve different sound than what I have now.
    Oooh! Pardon me for not agreeing with you. It IS a long way up to that high horse of yours.

The only thing that I have been stupid enough to purchase over my lifetime is several electric guitars, built largely of mahogany, with a rosewood fingerboard and equipped with one or two P-90 pickups. Through a professional valve amplifier, these instruments excel at a particular sound. They do not seem to excel at anything else to anywhere near the same extent.

I love Juniors and Specials. I love them for what they are. I do not expect them to be or do anything else.

Meanwhile, something seems to have gone awry in translation to English. The line about selling children to father? A Roman Catholic practice, perhaps? No sympathy? Surely, your problem not mine. The only medication I take is anti-histamine. Would you like one? Is there any gene other than a family one?

My contributions to your thread are merely opinion. You appear to have confused opinion with fact and/or "truth". (Members of the Un-Intelligence Group may remember a post that I made about this topic.) If my opinions are the most pathetic that you have ever read then you need to read more.

I shall now comply with your wish that I butt out of this thread.

Respect to the regulars. Left_Hand_Bruce, you know what to do.

Mojo's Minions Powdered Toast Man's Avatar

Wow, 4 posts and he's already telling someone off. Nicely done. I'm guessing you want a ruder sounding pickup to match your attitude.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Cat In The Hatministrator stevie_bees's Avatar

Lighten up in here fellas or there will be people receiving the wonderful Christmas gift of an infraction...

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    There's nothing wrong with asking him as a curiosity. But there's something wrong with treating him as if he is dumb for deciding to put a mini humbucker in there. That is exactly what is happening here with all the posts that make no attempt to answer the original question, but only to question his motivations...especially after he already gave his answer (an answer which obviously indicated that his mind was made up and he didn't care to discuss it much). It's unnecessary information, yet people are acting as if they will withhold all answers until the OP has done his duty and properly explained himself to them. Sheesh. And then, of course, when called on it, they will claim that they are "only trying to help." It's not an attempt at helping; it's getting off on being a prick and a bully.
    That kind of attitude and name-calling is not appreciated by anyone and accomplishes nothing but to make yourself look disrespectful and bullyish.

Actually, if you really read my last post, you'll see that I truly AM trying to help. I have no desire to "be a bully".
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

I disagree: knowing what the OP is going for and the equipment used to do it are necessary details.

Sure, you can do almost anything to any guitar. Yet some modifications are not worth the trouble and may take you past the point if no return. That's if one chooses to do so. It seems to me, though, that we'd be remiss to NOT point out such pitfalls beforehand.
    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou

Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

This is hilarious

'It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster' - I just died laughing my head off man!
    Ich bin mein führer

Quote Originally Posted by tiptipono View Post
    you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

INTENSELY corrosive sweat formula73's Avatar

This thread is ****ing stupid.

tiptipono

Quote Originally Posted by Will S-T View Post
    I like Itsabass' suggestion of converting a dog ear cover
    to accomate a mini hum, you should be able to get
    height adjustment as well, bonus!
    Someone also suggested series, parallel and split
    wring options which are easily possible with two push
    pull pots, very versatile indeed.

Check out the sound clips on the Duncan site.
    I think the SM3B will have a fuller sound and be
    easier to adjust other parameters to suit.

Cheers
    SM3 & SH-5 same magnet?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    That kind of attitude and name-calling is not appreciated by anyone and accomplishes nothing but to make yourself look disrespectful and bullyish.

Actually, if you really read my last post, you'll see that I truly AM trying to help. I have no desire to "be a bully".
    Pot. Kettel. Black.

Fer Cripes' sake: the man asked about a pickup. Stop jumping down his throat!
    This machine kills fascists

The SH-5 Duncan Custom is a relatively high output
    HB at about 14k with a ceramic mag whereas the SM-3
    has an A5 mag and is constructed similarly to a side
    by side rails type pickup.
    Either pickup would be versatile with all the wiring
    options in a single pickup guitar, less so the SM-2.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBarbeeMusic View Post
    He doesn't like P-90s, not everyone does. Sheesh give the guy a break. You cant screw or height adjust a P-90 not to be a P-90. He asked about mini buckers or other options. Also, it's his guitar, not yours. If he wants to change pickups, woohoo go for it. You can change pickups without changing the route.
    + 1000

FWIW -- the Gibson SG-90 Singles (1998-1990) are very similar (though with a longer scale length. ebony fretboard, TOM and string thru tailpiece) and featured stock humbuckers in the bridge position alone -- I see him going in that tonal direction ... no problems with that imho.

tiptipono

SM-2 VS SM-3

1. Which one better for van halen stuff
    2. Which one has better clean sound

Quote Originally Posted by MattPete View Post
    Pot. Kettel. Black.

Fer Cripes' sake: the man asked about a pickup. Stop jumping down his throat!
    I have a friend who has a Ford but the red "overheating" dashboard warning light keeps coming on so he is trying to decide what new(er) car to get. He asked me which would be better for him...a Chevy or a Honda.

I better not ask him to just check his oil or antifreeze levels which may be causing some engine overheating and the red light to come on. I better just avoid asking him about it because he already made his mind up to get a different car. I'd better just give him a recommendation for either the Chevy or the Honda. I'd better not "bully" him into saving $5-10,000. I guess if I tried to help my friend I might be thought of as "getting off on being a prick and a bully".

Well, if it were MY car (certainly I WILL do what's best for ME), I'd check my oil and antifreeze levels first. But for my "friend"...I'm going to just tell him to get the Honda. (I don't want to look like a jerk, and I surely don't want to hurt his feelings).
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

tiptipono

SM-2 VS SM-3

1. Which one better for van halen stuff (and ACDC Riff)
    2. Which one has better clean sound