Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need advice mini humbucker for JR SG (gibson)

tiptipono

Default I need advice mini humbucker for JR SG (gibson)

hi

i have gibson JR SG:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sg-junior.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	36634

and i want to Replace the p90 to mini humbucker bridge SM-2 or SM-3
    What is the difference between them? and What do you recommend me?

My music styles: MC5 , lynyrd skynyrd , van halen , Led Zeppelin . the who
    GNR , RHCP (ONLY Early years hillel slovak) , hendrix and ACDC.

tnx
    Last edited by tiptipono; 12-24-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Default Re: I need advice mini humbucker for JR SG (gibson)

welcome to the forum!

what is it you dont like about the p90?

the sm2 is higher output and more aggressive than the sm3

tiptipono

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    welcome to the forum!

what is it you dont like about the p90?
    the sm2 is higher output and more aggressive than the sm3
    i've had enough

Funkfingers

Of what exactly have you had enough?

More importantly, what do you dislike about the Gibson P90? (I'm guessing that the issue is the RF interference and hum.)

Whilst a mini humbucker will fit into a "soapbar" P90 cavity, it may not fit into the trough beneath the "dogear" pickup cover of the SG Junior without modifications to the wood. Older forum members will remember that, during the Norlin era, Gibson tried mini humbuckers in the SG. The model was a flop.

For noise-cancelling performance, consider EITHER a stacked coil P90 replacement OR a JB90. The latter is a custom order humbucker under a P90 cover. I have one in the soapbar format. Your SG requires the dogear format version.

Alternatively, sell the SG Junior to somebody who will appreciate its virtues and buy yourself an SG Standard.

Toneologist

You have a few options: The aforementioned SM-2 or SM-3, any of the DiMarzio P-90 sized buckers (DLX plus or P-90 Super D would work for what you describe), custom wound mini buckers from any number of makers.

tiptipono

Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post

More importantly, what do you dislike about the Gibson P90? (I'm guessing that the issue is the RF interference and hum.)

Whilst a mini humbucker will fit into a "soapbar" P90 cavity, it may not fit into the trough beneath the "dogear" pickup cover of the SG Junior without modifications to the wood. Older forum members will remember that, during the Norlin era, Gibson tried mini humbuckers in the SG. The model was a flop.

For noise-cancelling performance, consider EITHER a stacked coil P90 replacement OR a JB90. The latter is a custom order humbucker under a P90 cover. I have one in the soapbar format. Your SG requires the dogear format version.

Alternatively, sell the SG Junior to somebody who will appreciate its virtues and buy yourself an SG Standard.
    the pickup is Gibson P-90 “Dog Ear”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sg-junior.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	36631

The Website names the differences between the four SD mini hums.

Sounds like a fine idea to me. Just rout that stock dogear cover so that it becomes the pickup ring, and you are set. If there is a clearance issue, just double fold the baseplate legs, or replace the stock baseplate with a short-legged baseplate.

Consider a Firebird pickup too. They will fit anywhere a mini humbucker will fit.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-24-2012 at 07:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

You haven't answered what it is specifically about the P-90 that you DON'T like, and what you want to achieve by making a change. We may be able to help you better if we know specifically what the problem is. There may even be a way to get that P-90 to sound just like you want.

Give us more info and you will get some useful help.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

All we need to do is compare two mini humbuckers and talk about which we think would work better in his SG. Why is everyone hassling him about the P90?
    Yogi Berra was correct.

I have a Epi SG Jr just like that. I added a bridge HB ( Epiphone ) added 2 DPDT Pots for series/parallel, in phase/out of phase. Lots more neat tones. Now would I do that to a Gibson, I doubt it. Food for thought.

Funkfingers

Still not hearing any word about what is supposedly wrong about the stock P-90 pickup. If it isn't the hum, it must be the polepiece height adjustment. The screws are adjustable. So, adjust them!

In my opinion, the only reasons for failing to get a rockin' good sound out of a a slab of mahogany with a P-90 on it are an amp that sucks or pilot error. So, what amp are you playing through.

Usually, by now, blueman335 has chipped in with magnet swapping suggestions.

Or maybe, you want that one pickup SG to do somethng absolutely alien to its genetic makeup.

That is one beautiful guitar and if it were mine, I would not mess with it.

Again, please say what you dont like about the P-90's, your individual playing style [not your musical interests] and preferences, and amp.

After giving the "i've had enough D'oh", am wondering what you are after or did you come across a solution to your delimma?

I have no standing on this board - many others are more capable of answering many questions

Toneologist

He doesn't like P-90s, not everyone does. Sheesh give the guy a break. You cant screw or height adjust a P-90 not to be a P-90. He asked about mini buckers or other options. Also, it's his guitar, not yours. If he wants to change pickups, woohoo go for it. You can change pickups without changing the route.

Imperator of Indignation idsnowdog's Avatar

Rio Grande, GFS and Dimarzio make p90 sized replacements. Before ditching the p90 you could also try a Custom p90.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 12-24-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Funkfingers

Why harp on about the P-90? Simply because the combination of this pickup and a slab of mahogany is the best in the world at one particular Blues/Rock thing. If you don't want that thing, you do not want a Gibson Junior or Special or any guitar inspired by them.

Have you ever heard an SG with mini humbuckers?

A Firebird pickup might cut the mustard. Its metal surround might also disguise the screw holes left by the plastic dogear cover. Same goes for the various TV Jones Filter'Tron derived designs.

Eureka! TV Jones on an SG Junior. (Kinda Malcolm and Angus Young rolled into one.) I'm sure that wattage would approve.

If he doesn't like the P-90 because of the hum, that's one thing. And certainly a mini will cure that problem.

But, if he doesn't like the P-90 because of the tone, that's a totally different problem that can be easily corrected within the P-90 itself. I LOVE P-90s (especially in SGs), but don't particularly care for the stock Gibson P-90's tone (kinda bright and thin). If that is the case, then it would be natural to want to replace it with a humbucker with a thicker tone. But (and I'll go ahead and take the Blueman roll here), it is also very simple to correct that tone problem with magnet swaps to coax the tone he wants out of that P-90. After all, many mini hums have a very similar tone to some P-90s.

So what's the big deal about asking him what he doesn't like about the P-90?! He wants a solution to his problem, but he hasn't really told us what the problem is. If his problem is with the tone of the P-90 and we recommend a mini that has the same tone as the P-90, then we haven't really helped him.

So, Ray, lighten up and let us try to help him the best way we know how. That's all we want to do...help him.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

There's nothing wrong with asking him as a curiosity. But there's something wrong with treating him as if he is dumb for deciding to put a mini humbucker in there. That is exactly what is happening here with all the posts that make no attempt to answer the original question, but only to question his motivations...especially after he already gave his answer (an answer which obviously indicated that his mind was made up and he didn't care to discuss it much). It's unnecessary information, yet people are acting as if they will withhold all answers until the OP has done his duty and properly explained himself to them. Sheesh. And then, of course, when called on it, they will claim that they are "only trying to help." It's not an attempt at helping; it's getting off on being a prick and a bully.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-25-2012 at 12:29 PM.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

tiptipono

Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post

you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?
    It's the most pathetic comment I've seen in years
    "sell the SG Junior to somebody who will appreciate its virtues and buy yourself an SG Standard"?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

I would appreciate it if you would stop responding here I have no sympathy for people like you
    Do yourself a favor take your pills in your favor, and of course to the public

And in response to others as they tried to help me and treated me with respect

I am looking for a different sound than p90 I wrote it at first I want to replace the p90 to mini humbucker bridge SM-2 or SM-3
    To achieve different sound than what I have now.
    Last edited by tiptipono; 12-25-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Mojo's Minions Laughing Kookaburra's Avatar

I like Itsabass' suggestion of converting a dog ear cover
    to accomate a mini hum, you should be able to get
    height adjustment as well, bonus!
    Someone also suggested series, parallel and split
    wring options which are easily possible with two push
    pull pots, very versatile indeed.

Check out the sound clips on the Duncan site.
    I think the SM3B will have a fuller sound and be
    easier to adjust other parameters to suit.

Cheers