Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Distortion and Jazz Combo?

Default Distortion and Jazz Combo?

NEWB ALERT!!!!!

What up? Just became a member here
    So for my first post I'm curious about the above pickup combination in an ESP LTD Eclipse I just bought. I've thought about this for awhile, but am wondering what the experts thought.

I play A LOT of Metallica, but I do play other stuff like Godsmack, Alice in Chains, etc. I play almost 99% rhythm, so a fantastic lead tone isn't really important. Basically I'm looking for an awesome, tight rhythm tone in the bridge pickup, and an awesome clean tone in the neck. Will the DD Jazz combo deliver this? Other pickup and brand recommendations are welcome.

Thanks a lot for your input! Rock on!!!

Default Re: Distortion and Jazz Combo?

A DD would be a good choice or the Invader in the bridge if you want more bottom end. A JB might be good but some say the bottom end is a lil bit loose but for those bands you mentioned either of the three would be a good choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by KBliss View Post
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorus View Post
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Ultimate Tone Slacker

For what you want to do, and more, that combo would be great.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

the JB8 does metallica so well the others would just be 2nd best imo
    my youtube channel
    www.youtube.com/surfacexmusic
    my Industrial music for sale here
    http://surfacex.bandcamp.com/
    my soundcloud page
    https://soundcloud.com/surfacex
    my new soundcloud just for the gear demos i do
    https://soundcloud.com/surfacex-geardemos

Hmmmm, I've heard that the JB is basically the Distortion with an A5 mag, so would an A8 in the Distortion sound similar to the JB8, rounding off the highs and adding a touch more warmth than with the stock ceramic? How does the Alternative 8 compare? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, I've been wondering this for awhile.

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EET_FUK View Post
    Hmmmm, I've heard that the JB is basically the Distortion with an A5 mag, so would an A8 in the Distortion sound similar to the JB8, rounding off the highs and adding a touch more warmth than with the stock ceramic? How does the Alternative 8 compare? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, I've been wondering this for awhile.
    The coils in a JB and a DD are the same so if you do a JB8 and a DD8 they are the same pickup.

FWIW, I'd just go with a stock Jazz/DD set...killer set for lots of stuff and it'll do metal with the best of 'em!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Welcome EET.

First of all - a question: Are you SURE those are Jazz/DD combo? I thought the Eclipse came with a 59/JB. At least the LTD does. Is this a real ESP? Just checking.

Second. Great combo overall. Never played a guitar with that at the same time. But a Distortion is my #1 pup. If you need more booty, I say get a Custom for the bridge. If all you need is booty, go Invader.

Finally - as for the swap, before anyone gets their panties in a wad....The JB and the Distortion are NOT exactly the same pickup with different mags. However, they are pretty dang close. So, to my old ears, and for all practical purposes, I say they are. (everyone happy there?). So yes, the DD/JB 8 would be right. I have a JB 8 and love it. That would be better for more recent Metallica, as opposed to real Metallica, where I definitely recommend the Distortion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

there not same wind

on to your question
    the JB8 has more mid roar imo, its flat and fat. the broad crunch is excellent.
    the DD8 is great overall, nearly same sound but with less/tighter bass and less upper mids.
    Alt8 is different. its made for the A8 so its focus was made for the rhytmn, its saturated and if the height is set wrong it does nothing right. but when its set good and your amp agrees with it, its nearly perfect. i always felt the bottom three strings are dead on tight and focused, but the top three stings are slightly undersatured and its sort of a blend of the neck and bridge pickup. its nice cause you dont have to switch pickups for leads if you want them blippy.
    my youtube channel
    www.youtube.com/surfacexmusic
    my Industrial music for sale here
    http://surfacex.bandcamp.com/
    my soundcloud page
    https://soundcloud.com/surfacex
    my new soundcloud just for the gear demos i do
    https://soundcloud.com/surfacex-geardemos

The same wind topic can be discussed over and over and over until folks are blue in the face but I'd love to hear anybody show any differences in the coil sets.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

tonello

I use only the DD for my metal axes. t's perfect for Metallica, but an Invader would work if you were going for a Kill em All sound (Hetfield used an Invader on KEA and Ride).

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    The same wind topic can be discussed over and over and over until folks are blue in the face but I'd love to hear anybody show any differences in the coil sets.
    This - make a recording and then blind test it. No one will no, or half will get it wrong.

Exact wind - NO
    Pretty dang close - YES

This is a Christian/Ace agree moment boys. There is little room for argumentr, semantics aside. High five Christian. Practical boys - not technical. It doesn't matter if one was wound by Hamster power and the other willed into being through a telekinet swami's mind power. They sound the same.

Thanks a lot for the quick replies guys! I think I am going to spring for the DD/jazz set. Hope it works out!

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    This - make a recording and then blind test it. No one will no, or half will get it wrong.

Exact wind - NO
    Pretty dang close - YES

This is a Christian/Ace agree moment boys. There is little room for argumentr, semantics aside. High five Christian. Practical boys - not technical. It doesn't matter if one was wound by Hamster power and the other willed into being through a telekinet swami's mind power. They sound the same.
    Well..careful now.

If you ask me I say the JB, DD and Invader are the same coils just like the Alnico II Pro and Jazz coils but a lot of guys disagree with me however no one seems to be able to show any proof.

I say think about it like this...how many ways can you put copper wire on a bobbin??

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I would just go with the Distortion set and forget the Jazz neck, the Distortion neck will do everything you need and you will save some coin buying them as a set....than if you don't dig it trade it for the jazz neck...they are all over the place for trade or sale used right now...

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    Well..careful now.

If you ask me I say the JB, DD and Invader are the same coils just like the Alnico II Pro and Jazz coils but a lot of guys disagree with me however no one seems to be able to show any proof.

I say think about it like this...how many ways can you put copper wire on a bobbin??
    I'm gonna go with MJ And/or evan both said they were not exactly the same. Frank Falbo also. Emphasis here is on how exact exactly is...

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    I'm gonna go with MJ And/or evan both said they were not exactly the same. Frank Falbo also. Emphasis here is on how exact exactly is...
    No one from Duncan ever said they were the same or that they were not the same...

If they did I'd love to see it.

Tone Member

I made a Duncan Distortion demo using a Blues Driver to tighten the attack.

After I made this vid (click on youtube link below) i tried an A8, then a single ceramic. Stupid me, lost the original double ceramic magnet, and now I miss it so much. If you want tight, the DD is great, & a Boss Blues Driver can tighten without ruining the sound.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.

4 hb (80's rawk) comparison (PG8-DSD-Ant-JB)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CCULONDTzI
    VAN HALEN gtr tone: 10 Cheats
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcaTtAFnpWE
    Dunc Dist Demo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWbO7NvEpk0

After I made this vid (click on youtube link below) i tried an A8, then a single ceramic. Stupid me, lost the original double ceramic magnet, and now I miss it so much. If you want tight, the DD is great, & a Boss Blues Driver can tighten without ruining the sound.

"Pillar of cement landing on your nephew," LOL, sounds perfect to me! Thanks for welcoming me to the forum guys. And I don't think I'll EVER have a problem playing often.

This should be on the head of the sight that last line
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorus View Post
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...