Thread: what would you do?

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

Default what would you do?

Im a big believer in KGP big trem blocks. (or other brands) Ive seen the diff these can make. I have an 87 Kramer Pacer that plays and sounds amazing and sings for days. Im thinking that if its this good stock, then it can be even better.. However, Im almost afraid to mess with it.. haha. Would you leave well enough alone, or would you try to make it better?? this is a reversable thing, so probably no big deal, but there is the cost factor and the tearing it down and all.

I know Im being silly, but like I said, I dont want to mess up a good thing either.. But if I can make it better...

a side note: except straplocks, its completely stock. Ive considered putting a diff pup in it, but wont cuz its so dang good as it is..
    Thanks for the input!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Default Re: what would you do?

It's easy to try and change back of need be so if you have the money to spare if it's not liked go for it.

Why try and fiddle with a tone you love and say sounds amazing?

RepententRodentologist darnright's Avatar

The old mechanic adage..."If it ain't broke...don't fix it"

-dave
    I don't believe anything I say and only half of what you hear....

2 adages sum my opinion up:

"Never touch a running system"
    and
    "Better is often the enemy of good"
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Unseen

Better would be to play it more......

Quote Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
    Why try and fiddle with a tone you love and say sounds amazing?
    That was my first thought but I know some people just like to fiddle with things and it's as harmless a mod as there is.

I say go for it. If it's reversible then just remove the block if you don't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KBliss View Post
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorus View Post
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Quote Originally Posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
    Better would be to play it more......

I am bro, I am!!

I'm prolly gonna leave this beasty alone. Im just so impressed with the improvement the blocks have made on my Charvel, I figure this could be even better. But, its set up great and all, I dont think Ill diddle wid it.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

I think the question really is (and I'm quoting the title of a book) "What would Keith Richard do?"
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus View Post
    2 adages sum my opinion up:

"Better is often the enemy of good"
    I like this one a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlar3000 View Post
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus View Post
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Quote Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Well, it depends, I wouldn't BUY a block just for testing but if you already HAVE one then I don't see the harm in swapping it when you're up for a string change.

IME the big brass blocks accentuate the lows and to a lesser degree the highs at the expense of the mids.

If you feel that will be a potential improvement and have the part already I'd say go ahead, otherwise, better to leave well alone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay View Post
    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by That90'sGuy View Post
    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Good idea Bro! But.. all my blocks are in use, so I dont wanna have to teardown one to harvest the block.. Im getting set to purge another batch, so if I sell one with a big block, Ill keep the block off of it..

Jol Dantzig

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    I think the question really is (and I'm quoting the title of a book) "What would Keith Richard do?"
    Keef would say "I dont need no (expletive) wiggly stick on my guitar".

Jol Dantzig

TLDR; Just don't.
    MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
    Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Well, not one to leave well enough alone, I put a big block on it. And... Was a good thing for 3 reasons. A) It sounds even better now!!! B) I have full use of the trem again. before it was dive only C) when I tore it apart, the screws holding the saddles and some other parts were very rusty and dirty. I cleaned it all up, lemon oiled the board and oiled the rusty bits. And of course, changed strings. Also put some new springs on the trem as the old ones were alittle sacked out. I used some of the vintage ones that KGC sells.. I bought the guitar used about 10 years ago and havent changed a thing but add straplocks. When tuning it up, I also raised a couple of the poles to balance the strings and also raised the treble side of the trem a tiny bit to stop it from fretting out on the high E. So, its had a long overdue setup (tho it was close to perfect), it's clean, shiny, and still sustains like a mother! Im a happy buckaroo!
    Last edited by BloodRose; 04-08-2013 at 07:22 AM.

Jol Dantzig

That's good to hear Bro!!!
    Y'know, I've been thinking, big blocks are so good at fixing a floyd's most basic downside it kinda annoys me that they aren't "standard issue" on Floyds but an after-market modification...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay View Post
    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by That90'sGuy View Post
    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Cost savings. I have seen a couple of upscale guitars recently advertising big blocks as a standard upgrade.

Jol Dantzig