Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fender Twin Reverb VS Fender Deluxe Reverb? Your experiences?

Ultimate Tone Slacker GuitarGuy503's Avatar

Default Fender Twin Reverb VS Fender Deluxe Reverb? Your experiences?

Hey guys I just sold my Mesa Mini Rectifier via Ebay and have been giving things thought as far as a rig change. I've been going back in forth with these two Fenders and wondered what your experiences have been with them? I will been running a quality high gain pedal through them for the dirt. Opinions?
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Default Re: Fender Twin Reverb VS Fender Deluxe Reverb? Your experiences?

in essence i have both. i have a '66 deluxe reverb and a blackfaced '69 dual showman reverb (twin reverb in a head) that i run thru a 2x12 cab.

it all depends on what you want from the amp. if you want a big sounding amp with tons of headroom as a platform for pedals then the twin is great. if you want a smaller sweeter sounding amp that will give up some tube grit at a semi reasonable volume then the deluxe is wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    in essence i have both. i have a '66 deluxe reverb and a blackfaced '69 dual showman reverb (twin reverb in a head) that i run thru a 2x12 cab.

it all depends on what you want from the amp. if you want a big sounding amp with tons of headroom as a platform for pedals then the twin is great. if you want a smaller sweeter sounding amp that will give up some tube grit at a semi reasonable volume then the deluxe is wonderful
    Does the lack of mid control on the DR bother you at all? Thats one thing I dislike about the DR.
    Roland Cube 60
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.

Funkfingers

I briefly owned one of the Fender "evil" Twin Amp models. Unless you play in a big room at high sound pressure levels, it is too much. Even with the quarter power switch engaged, the amp was loud.

Last month, I attended a concert by Richard Thompson. He played a mic'ed up Fender Deluxe Reverb re-issue with a vintage original as a backup. Oh, yes, and a pedal board system to die for.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    if you want a big sounding amp with tons of headroom as a platform for pedals then the twin is great. if you want a smaller sweeter sounding amp that will give up some tube grit at a semi reasonable volume then the deluxe is wonderful
    There you have it. But I will add two things: 1) A cranked Twin is one of the most ferocious and beautiful things you'll ever hear, though this sound occurs only when LOUD, and 2) Deluxes are easy "one handers" to carry. Twins are two handers, ideally.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

I get along ok without the mids knob. a lot of it is dialing back the bass and treble til the mids are in balance and then use the guitar tone control. look for pedals with a midrange that you like out of the box and/or that you can adjust.

It is like asking if you should get the really fun sensible sedan or the 800 horsepower monster truck.

I cut my teeth on a Silverface Deluxe and moved to a Silverface Quad Reverb (a twin with 4 speakers) when I started playing clubs. Now that I am too old to drag the Quad around I miss my Deluxe. I will say the Quad with a pre-led MXR Distortion+ or my Chandler Tube Driver is a monster tone. 10 tubes of fury.

I debated on this for quite some time. I ended up with a twin because I found a great deal, but they are both great. The twin is super heavy, but I've been desensitized to hauling heavy gear.

There is nothing that sounds quite like a cranked twin... you also won't hear much of anything after cranking a twin.

why do you guys all feel the need to crank your amps?
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Twin is super clean, loud, and heavy

Deluxe is lighter and suitable for most clubs
    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Ultimate Tone Member TeleLubber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gibson175 View Post
    I love both amps.. I favor my Twin though.. we play loud.. mic'ing the smaller amps is OK.. but..

Because it goes to eleven.

sometimes 22watts and 1x12 is perfect. Sometimes you need more headroom.
    sometimes 85 watts and 2x12 is perfect. Sometimes it is too much.
    I use both depending on the gig. I'd hate to have to choose.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGuy503 View Post
    Does the lack of mid control on the DR bother you at all? Thats one thing I dislike about the DR.
    not really. i modded the normal channel on my amp to have a ton of midrange and reverb and 90% of the time i use the vibrato channel

Tone Member

I think the best answer is "both"! Not trying to be a smartass, but there it is. I own a Twin Reverb RI and a 68 Super. I think you can't go wrong with either the Twin or the Deluxe, but there are important considerations.
    1. Twins are heavy. I have a road case for mine because it makes it very easy for two people to carry. Much better than a hand truck or just carrying it with the handle IMO.
    2. Twins are loud, but they sound pretty darn good at lower volumes IMO. So if you are using a pedal you really like you should be good to go. A deluxe certainly can get nice verge of breakup at way more reasonable volume, but you run out of clean headroom much earlier. You won't run out of clean headroom on a twin. If you want that verge of breakup or breakup sounds, a Twin is probably the wrong choice.
    3. Both amps have fantastic rich clean tone.
    4. The Deluxe has a tube rectifier, I like this as even clean you'll get a nice warm "growl" in the lower midrange that is just awesome. If I didn't have the Super I would need a Deluxe for this reason alone. The Twin doesn't have the tube rec and sounds a little "harder". Still awesome rich deep clean, just a little different.
    5. You may need to swap the speakers in either amp, I had to do so on my Twin as they were way too harsh and just made the amp sound all wrong. Went with Texas Heats that Gibson 175 suggested and I'm happy as a clam now. You can also warm up the low volume tone from the Twin by pulling the V1 tube if you play the vibrato channel, which I had good results doing. A 5751 in v2 also helped warm things up nicely.
    6. The Deluxe has no bright switch, it's like the bright switch is always on. They can be a tad bright IMO, especially the reissues I tried. The early silver face ones seem to be mellower to my ears. Of course you can clip the bright cap like lots of folks on here have done. The lack of mid knob bothered me too but they seem to be voiced the way I like, so it proved to not be the deal breaker I expected.
    7. Twins are easy to get good deals on. DR's not so much. In fact the silver face DR's are priced to the moon right now.

I love playing both my amps together in stereo. I don't use that for gigs but it is really fun when I'm just goofing off.
    Last edited by nedcronin; 04-05-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: iPad spellcheck

I can't (3 floor of apartment building) nor do I need to crank my amps. I do, however, I like to turn them up a bit to open them up and get the speaker(s) pumpin a bit of air.
    Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 04-16-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    Roland Cube 60
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers

I have heard of some people pulling 2 power tubes to split the wattage in the Twin Reverb.. Having said that, Is that safe to do or do you risk damage to the amp? Just curious....
    Roland Cube 60
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers

you can pull two tubes but it wont half the wattage. and you should only run one speaker to keep the impedence matched correctly, not that it will have any serious ill effects.

it tames the volume a touch for sure but dont expect a massive reduction

Mojo's Minions Laughing Kookaburra's Avatar

I used a Twin as my main amp in rock bands for years, with a Tubescreamer and a hot bucker (X2N). Fantastic sound! However, we were playing very loud.

I've toned it down a bit in recent years in terms of volume, even if playing hard rock. I have never owned a DR, but I have mates in Green Bay that gig with them, and they are great for clubs. They're playing blues rock and classic rock.

Want to play rock LOUD? Twin w/a crunch box. Great cleans at up to moderately loud volume? Twin. Otherwise, a DR may be a great amp to consider.