Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

  1. #21
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by aleclee View Post
    When I was trying out the ID60, it seemed that the OD modes had a built-in noise gate at work. It was pretty noticeable but seemed to have good settings for threshold and release.
    I hope you can turn this off completely though. I have a Boss Ns2 which I will want to use exclusively. I dont want some sort of built in Noise gate working ontop of my Ns2.... tone sucking and losing sustain etc.

  2. #22
    Ultimate Tone Member sixstringsamurai333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    There's a fairly strong gate in the ID series. You can set it to three levels of sensitivity using the Blackstar Insider software via USB.
    http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for and by the terminally GAS-afflicted.

  3. #23
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sixstringsamurai333 View Post
    There's a fairly strong gate in the ID series. You can set it to three levels of sensitivity using the Blackstar Insider software via USB.
    So it cant be turned off?.... hmmmm. I hope setting it to its lowest and then including my Ns2 wont hurt the tone or sustain too much :/ thats lame of them

  4. #24
    King Midas to Cheap Guitars dominus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Age
    41
    Posts
    8,052

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by lewisstorer89 View Post
    Dude Blackstar released a firmware update for this amp which only takes 2 minutes via usb that actually makes the Headphones input and direct out on the back double as an effects loop. Its the only reason I want one now. No effects loop was lame...hence why they made one via Firmware updates. GREAT bit of customer service by Blackstar there to code juggle
    That's fine, but what if you wanted to use the effects loop and emulated out at the same time?
    "Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." Isaiah 13:16

    "Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." Numbers 31:17-18


    Want to trade? You go first. I've got over 15,000 feedback as a seller on eBay.

  5. #25
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dominus View Post
    That's fine, but what if you wanted to use the effects loop and emulated out at the same time?
    Haha I know mate I know. I personally wont need the Emulated out for shows so having the effects loop instead is great for me. I just hope we can turn it on/off via the Footswitch otherwise whats the point. I heard the USB on the front is also an emulated out, so if its only the back Emulated out that becomes an effects loop, maybe connecting via the USB on the front to the desk/pa is still an option?

  6. #26
    Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brighton, England.
    Posts
    2,536

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by lewisstorer89 View Post
    how is it not going to?. Did you or anyone else think it would be possible for a 2 minute firmware update to add an effects loop?. Surely if that can be done, then speeding up channel switching would be easier
    If you're determined to buy this amp then I really hope you're right but can you imagine any company releasing an amp that takes two seconds to change channels in the hope that, if anyone notices it, they might be able to fix it later ? Two seconds is a long time in live music.

  7. #27
    Ultimate Tone Member sixstringsamurai333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by lewisstorer89 View Post
    So it cant be turned off?.... hmmmm. I hope setting it to its lowest and then including my Ns2 wont hurt the tone or sustain too much :/ thats lame of them
    I think it can be turned completely off. Download the manual from the Blackstar website and it should tell you.
    http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for and by the terminally GAS-afflicted.

  8. #28
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,196

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    To the OP: I'm not entirely sure why you're asking for opinions about this amp. No disrespect intended but it seems to me like you have more than made up your mind about it, seeing how you don't take into account any negative or mitigated opinion regarding the amp and will basically tell people that tube amps are bad period.

    I don't have anything to say about it, haven't tried it nor intend to but I do know that nothing's ever perfect in this world. I would never replace any of my well-maintained (read reliable even live) tube heads for a solid state but if you like it just go ahead and enjoy!

    However, if you come here and ask for opinion, you have to understand and accept that not everybody will agree with you (respectfully) or be praising the amp. That's what a discussion is.

    Enjoy the amp and report back!

    Cheers!

  9. #29
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surgeon View Post
    To the OP: I'm not entirely sure why you're asking for opinions about this amp. No disrespect intended but it seems to me like you have more than made up your mind about it, seeing how you don't take into account any negative or mitigated opinion regarding the amp and will basically tell people that tube amps are bad period.

    I don't have anything to say about it, haven't tried it nor intend to but I do know that nothing's ever perfect in this world. I would never replace any of my well-maintained (read reliable even live) tube heads for a solid state but if you like it just go ahead and enjoy!

    However, if you come here and ask for opinion, you have to understand and accept that not everybody will agree with you (respectfully) or be praising the amp. That's what a discussion is.

    Enjoy the amp and report back!

    Cheers!
    I totally understand that, but the guy pretty much made up that Blackstar are un-reliable and made it look like common knowledge (which isnt the case clearly) and then condemned it because of Channel Switching which isnt that big of a deal, especially when via firmware they created an effects loop so clearly will be able to speed up channel switches in the next update. And when did I say tube amps are bad period?. I said that on paper they are obviously going to be less reliable because of maintenance and tube replacement etc..... nothing more

    I havent made my mind up at all actually and would love a number of different Valve amps. Namely a Laney Ironheart and its only lack of funds currently that would stop me buying that amp. When I asked for negatives about it I meant like someone played it and compared it to a Blackstar Valve and it sounded tripe etc. Or that toneally/volume wise it doesnt get anywhere near a valve amp and heres why type answers....

    But hey ho
    Last edited by lewisstorer89; 05-22-2013 at 01:22 PM.

  10. #30
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,196

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by lewisstorer89 View Post
    Thats just pure luck. For the most part they can just blow like a lightbulb does, aswell as wear down over time and start to sound ****. Saying you have that many amps but have never needed to replace the tubes in any of them means they must all sound like **** tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisstorer89 View Post
    And when did I say tube amps are bad period?.
    That first quote up there reads like a pretty bold statement to me, considering how a properly maintained tube amp will not only sound great but be very reliable too... I've gigged for more than 15 years with tube amps and never had one fail on me. Pure luck? I don't think so. Changing tubes to keep things fresh isn't "bad reliability" to me, just necessary to attain the best possible tone. Your opinion does differ and I respect that.

    I must admit that, as far as I am concerned, 2 seconds delay when switching would be a more than unacceptable, especially since the update that would fix it isn't available yet. Again, that's just me, if it's all good with you please go ahead.
    That's just an opinion, nothing more.

  11. #31
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surgeon View Post
    That first quote up there reads like a pretty bold statement to me, considering how a properly maintained tube amp will not only sound great but be very reliable too... I've gigged for more than 15 years with tube amps and never had one fail on me. Pure luck? I don't think so. Changing tubes to keep things fresh isn't "bad reliability" to me, just necessary to attain the best possible tone. Your opinion does differ and I respect that.

    I must admit that, as far as I am concerned, 2 seconds delay when switching would be a more than unacceptable, especially since the update that would fix it isn't available yet. Again, that's just me, if it's all good with you please go ahead.
    That's just an opinion, nothing more.
    after researching it seems all the complaints about channel switching of up to 2 seconds were before the first Firmware update. Its been reduced to 1/2 a second with the update and another is being worked on to release soon to get the switching to instant. Also you can clean up the guitar by rollin back the volume and set the footswitch to effects stomp mode so you just click in effects on the same tone when and as you need them, and this doesnt have any latency so easy get around until the newest firmware is out. So no problems there then.

    And the statement is bold because its true. If I bought a tube amp and played it straight for 10 years and had the same tubes in it it would sound rubbish compared to when those tubes were new. Thats a fact and thats all I meant with the statement.

  12. #32
    Mojo's Minions Brow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    3,572

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by lewisstorer89 View Post
    And the statement is bold because its true. If I bought a tube amp and played it straight for 10 years and had the same tubes in it it would sound rubbish compared to when those tubes were new. Thats a fact and thats all I meant with the statement.
    Changing valves when they start sounding bad is just part of valve amp ownership. It doesn't necessarily make then unreliable. As I said above; I've been playing and gigging with valve amps for 14 years and I've only ever had 1 valve blow on me and that was a faulty 1, the base of the valve just split. I keep them revalved and biased when they need to be and they've been very reliable for me.

    You wouldn't use a guitar for 10 years and not change strings would you? Or drive a car and not change the oil or tyres for many years at a time? Why would you do it with an amp.

    Another thing to bare in mind: if you have a valve amp and it goes wrong, there are many, many techs around that you can take it to and get it repaired relatively quickly and easilly. Good luck achieving this with an amp that's based around PCBs, computer chips and firmware updates!

    Again, I'm not bashing the amp at all. Read my 1st post in this thread, I praised it as being the best sounding SS/Modelling amp I've ever used. But there are also downsides to this stuff and you seem to be being very blinkered towards them whilst bashing anyone that doesn't agree with you.

    Obviously you're entitled to your opinion and I respect that. Don't feel that you have to bash people just because they disagree with you.

  13. #33
    Major General GAS aleclee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    5,868 ft above sea level
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,236

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brow View Post
    Changing valves when they start sounding bad is just part of valve amp ownership. It doesn't necessarily make then unreliable.
    All true, but...

    It's one of many factors that makes tube amp tone variable from day to day and place to place. Here's a list of some issues that can have a noticeable effect on how a tube guitar amp sounds at any particular moment:
    • Tube wear: already discussed
    • Line voltage: can significantly change the bias because of the voltage multiplication in the power supply
    • Temperature / humidity: affects the capacitance between traces on a PCB. Not an issue on SS amps because their internal voltages aren't high enough for it to have an effect. It's much more noticeable as gain increases.
    • Playing duration: amp tone changes during a session, mainly due to component values shifting as they get warmer.


    For me it becomes a question of whether the added maintenance and less consistent timbre are worth whatever advantages one finds in tube amp tone. With my "A" modeling rig, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. With my "B" rig (which will likely incorporate an ID60), my considerations are different but the tech has reached the point where the answer is the same. It sounds good enough that i'll take zero maintenance and consistent tone in a lighter weight package.

    My $0.02, FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

  14. #34
    Toneologist Toe-Knee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wakefield, UK
    Age
    33
    Posts
    818

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by aleclee View Post
    All true, but...

    It's one of many factors that makes tube amp tone variable from day to day and place to place. Here's a list of some issues that can have a noticeable effect on how a tube guitar amp sounds at any particular moment:
    • Tube wear: already discussed
    • Line voltage: can significantly change the bias because of the voltage multiplication in the power supply
    • Temperature / humidity: affects the capacitance between traces on a PCB. Not an issue on SS amps because their internal voltages aren't high enough for it to have an effect. It's much more noticeable as gain increases.
    • Playing duration: amp tone changes during a session, mainly due to component values shifting as they get warmer.


    For me it becomes a question of whether the added maintenance and less consistent timbre are worth whatever advantages one finds in tube amp tone. With my "A" modeling rig, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. With my "B" rig (which will likely incorporate an ID60), my considerations are different but the tech has reached the point where the answer is the same. It sounds good enough that i'll take zero maintenance and consistent tone in a lighter weight package.

    My $0.02, FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

    Where exactly are you getting this information?

    Line voltage will affect things regardless of whether its solidstate or not. In fact if the line voltage is way out of spec which it can be a SS amp is a lot more likely to break.

    Also you make these claims about SS amps not needing maintenance? You said there are firmware updates. What do you think they are? They're maintenance generally fixing issues and addressing problems that should have been sorted during the initial build before release.

    I am yet to try one of these amps but i trust Brows opinion on them as i know that he has a good ear.

    At the end of the day use what you want. Nobody here is trying to change that.
    Last edited by Toe-Knee; 05-24-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
    WWW.BACKLINE.TK

    Non Biased General Guitar forum
    http://fret.boards.net

  15. #35
    Asshatologist
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Djentville
    Age
    36
    Posts
    10,064

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    I tried an ID100 head for an hour at Sam Ash, and have to say it's about the best solid state amp I've ever played through. I wouldn't mind having one....either the ID60 or ID100 head.

    One thing with amps in general is that the speaker cab creates almost half the sound, so solid state and modeling amps sound a lot closer to good tube amps when the cabs are high end. I'd be inclined to use these heads with Blackstar's V30 cabs made for their tube amps.
    GJ giving an endorsement isn't something to take lightly. The solid state amp thread of yesterday (?) got my gears a turning for this. GJ knows tone.

  16. #36
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by aleclee View Post
    All true, but...

    It's one of many factors that makes tube amp tone variable from day to day and place to place. Here's a list of some issues that can have a noticeable effect on how a tube guitar amp sounds at any particular moment:
    • Tube wear: already discussed
    • Line voltage: can significantly change the bias because of the voltage multiplication in the power supply
    • Temperature / humidity: affects the capacitance between traces on a PCB. Not an issue on SS amps because their internal voltages aren't high enough for it to have an effect. It's much more noticeable as gain increases.
    • Playing duration: amp tone changes during a session, mainly due to component values shifting as they get warmer.


    For me it becomes a question of whether the added maintenance and less consistent timbre are worth whatever advantages one finds in tube amp tone. With my "A" modeling rig, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. With my "B" rig (which will likely incorporate an ID60), my considerations are different but the tech has reached the point where the answer is the same. It sounds good enough that i'll take zero maintenance and consistent tone in a lighter weight package.

    My $0.02, FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
    10000000000 % THIS /\/\/\ thats exactly what I think personally. WELL Said

  17. #37
    Major General GAS aleclee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    5,868 ft above sea level
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,236

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toe-Knee View Post
    Where exactly are you getting this information?
    A variety of sources. Let me know what you disbelieve/don't understand and I'll be happy to offer citations.


    Quote Originally Posted by Toe-Knee View Post
    Line voltage will affect things regardless of whether its solidstate or not. In fact if the line voltage is way out of spec which it can be a SS amp is a lot more likely to break.
    Not necessarily. Most SS amps have switching power supplies that are not at all sensitive to line voltage. A lot of 'em can take anything from 100V to 220V with no change in timbre, let alone reliability. Compared to tube amps, SS amps are more sensitive to surges but not variations in line voltage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toe-Knee View Post
    Also you make these claims about SS amps not needing maintenance? You said there are firmware updates. What do you think they are? They're maintenance generally fixing issues and addressing problems that should have been sorted during the initial build before release.
    Actually, I didn't make any claims about firmware, though I've done a number of update over the years. Strictly speaking, that's not maintenance. Sharing a same root as "maintain", maintenance is needed to maintain current functionality, not to change or fix bugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

  18. #38
    Toneologist Toe-Knee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wakefield, UK
    Age
    33
    Posts
    818

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by aleclee View Post
    A variety of sources. Let me know what you disbelieve/don't understand and I'll be happy to offer citations.


    Not necessarily. Most SS amps have switching power supplies that are not at all sensitive to line voltage. A lot of 'em can take anything from 100V to 220V with no change in timbre, let alone reliability. Compared to tube amps, SS amps are more sensitive to surges but not variations in line voltage.

    Actually, I didn't make any claims about firmware, though I've done a number of update over the years. Strictly speaking, that's not maintenance. Sharing a same root as "maintain", maintenance is needed to maintain current functionality, not to change or fix bugs.

    I wasn't doubting the claims you just seem to be making out that these drastically affect the sound when really they're pretty minor.

    Especially line voltage. My mains varies day by day from 230v to 260v and i've not had a single issue or noticed any major tonal differences.

    In regards to SMPS that's something i've not come across in many SS amps that i've repaired. But saying that I haven't repaired too many as not many people seem to get them fixed if they break they just treat them as disposable and replace them. But your point is a good one.

    With regards to the firmware updates. That's my bad i posted when about to leave for practice and mistook you for the OP. But sometimes firmware updates can be to "maintain" current or past functionality after the supplier previous buggered something up which happens quite often and is what a fair few bug fixes seem to be.

    But again just to make things clear I have nothing against these amps. One thing I do have something against though is how they're marketing them as "true valve tone" but Blackstar have never been one to not mislead with their advertising.
    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
    WWW.BACKLINE.TK

    Non Biased General Guitar forum
    http://fret.boards.net

  19. #39
    Sock Supplier to RHCP Beer$'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    5,258

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Quote Originally Posted by lewisstorer89 View Post
    Thats just pure luck. For the most part they can just blow like a lightbulb does, aswell as wear down over time and start to sound ****. Saying you have that many amps but have never needed to replace the tubes in any of them means they must all sound like **** tbh
    Are we talking preamp or power amp tubes here?

    It's not like I haven't changed tubes at all. I've done a fair bit of tube switching to get the right sounds. I've just never had a tube go out on me before.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

    Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



    Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

  20. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Blackstar ID 100 opinions ?

    Ive got the Blackstar HT40 tube combo which is a fantastic amp with great overdrive sounds and amazing warm creamy cleans, and I am at the moment in the process of testing the Blackstar ID260TVP.
    Firstly Blackstar have an amazing reputation for quality and its common knowledge that they are more reliable than Marshall. ( incase some of you dont know Blackstar was started by top Marshall employees who wanted to "take things further" and produce great sounding modern reliable amps).

    I don't have the footswitch here so I cant comment on the small time lapse as mentioned above, but Blackstar are very good at fixing problems in their firmware upgrades.

    The 260TVP (Total Valve Power) is LOUD and very versatile and gives you a lot of tube variations together with a load of voicing choices plus their patented ISF feature.
    The tuner on this one works fine and the patch storage is simple.
    The 260TVP offers stereo sound and the stereo effects sound brilliant ( very 3D ) Whether it would suit everyone is debatable.

    I am a pro musician of approx 30 years with years of touring etc under my belt etc, and I am looking at this 260TVP as a digital back up for my HT40 tube amp ( as much as I LOVE tubes they can be unreliable if you are unlucky ).

    Does the 260TVP sound as good as the HT40 ? not even close ( IMO ) The HT40 is so much warmer and with more body and soul.
    Is the 260TVP a bad sounding combo? Absolutely not! Its an amazing amp with many options and variations, Its a "Swiss Army Amp" and a great option if you want to get as close as possible without actually havng tubes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •