Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Godin users unite

Super Toneologist SongsForTheDeaf's Avatar

Default Godin users unite

So I'm a proud Godin artist and me and my band are endorsed by Godin. Being Canadian I try to use Canadian products (Traynor, Godin, Yorkville etc) I have a 1998 Godin LGX in this awesome flamed maple top with a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck and this guitar just feels right in my hands and sounds GREAT. After really diving into the new models from Godin including the Icon and Core series I have found out with comparisons to other guitars that I have owned, rented and played at the shop that Godin makes some of the best guitars for 1500 or less and the quality and feel is perfect and I don't say that word lightly... When ever I play a Godin I can never find a fault which obviously is rare in the guitarworld

Anyways what Godins are you using ? pics appreciated ! here is my baby

Name:  285346_3765134185880_1431320280_n.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  96.6 KB
    Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Default Re: Godin users unite

I've got a G-4000 that I picked up cheap and and giving a major cosmetic makeover (i.e. lopping off parts of the body and refinishing). I've also owned a 5th Avenue in the past, and I have an AMI small-bodied nylon string guitar (also a Godin company). I think they're over all good guitars that are a huge value on the used market...but aside from the 5th Avenue line, they are all soooooooo hideous.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

hmm I really like the LGX and LG shapes aswell as the core and icon series... I find them unique looking and cool but to each their own right?
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Quote Originally Posted by SongsForTheDeaf View Post
    So I'm a proud Godin artist and me and my band are endorsed by Godin. Being Canadian I try to use Canadian products (Traynor, Godin, Yorkville etc)
    You should be proud. There's a lot of nice stuff being made in Canada.
    Pigs in space. Pigs in space. Preparing to launch all pigs into space.

I picked up a Progression a couple of years ago. I wasn't planning to buy it, but it was on sale, I plugged in and took one listen, and decided to get it.
    The Progression has Godin's Revoicer circuit. It's the little button (push/push switch) on the front of the guitar. In one position, it produces great bluesy Texas Special tones. That's what won me over. In the other position, it produces a more vintage Strat tone perfect for the type of clean Strat tone heard on a lot of 80's pop songs, but with output hotter than the Texas Special tone in the other position.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Godin 1.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	42962

Name:	Godin 4.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	42963

Name:	Godin 2.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	42964

The Progression has a neck that's slightly flatter than a typical Fender neck, with nicely rolled/rounded fretboard edges. One cool detail is there is a subtle burst in the Mary Kaye white finish. In the middle it's clearer and you can see through it a little more. Around the edges it looks more opaque. It's visible in the photos.

I like several of Godin's other models. Their new Manhattan looks like a really nice jazz/blues/fusion guitar.
    Last edited by Kosh Naranek; 06-02-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
    Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
    guitar pic site
    Original prog rock on soundcloud
    Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
    Original blues on soundcloud.com

He Did the Monster Mash DrNewcenstein's Avatar

I've got a LaPatrie (by Godin) nylon acoustic with a Godin preamp/EQ in it. Sounds nice, but I don't play it nearly as much as I should. Can't say I've compared it to any other brands, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Note View Post
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh Naranek View Post
    I picked up a Progression a couple of years ago. I wasn't planning to buy it, but it was on sale, I plugged in and took one listen, and decided to get it.
    The Progression has Godin's Revoicer circuit. It's the little button (push/push switch) on the front of the guitar. In one position, it produces great bluesy Texas Special tones. That's what won me over. In the other position, it produces a more vintage Strat tone perfect for the type of clean Strat tone heard on a lot of 80's pop songs, but with output hotter than the Texas Special tone in the other position.

Name:	Godin 1.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	42962

Name:	Godin 4.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	42963

Name:	Godin 2.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	42964

The Progression has a neck that's slightly flatter than a typical Fender neck, with nicely rolled/rounded fretboard edges. One cool detail is there is a subtle burst in the Mary Kaye white finish. In the middle it's clearer and you can see through it a little more. Around the edges it looks more opaque. It's visible in the photos.

I like several of Godin's other models. Their new Manhattan looks like a really nice jazz/blues/fusion guitar.

Looks great too... not your regular strat look which I like but I really dig unique looking guitars aswell. My brother and bandmate has the session custom tele in this dark wood grain burst it is stunning and has that circuit button too for a beefier clearer sound that really kills going into a cranked amp... it is like having two different guitars in one

Name:	Godin.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	42979

2000 (I think) SdXt. Retrofitted with 3 EMG SA single coils (2 of them in humbucker housings).
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Looks great! I bet it plays nice , its the same shape pretty much as my LGX and I find this shape really easy to move around and play high up the neck with

I bought the exact same progression but returned it because I wasn't quite a fit with the neck. When compared side by side with a Strat, even the AMSTD, the Godin Progression flys miles above in tone and overall build quality.
    How do they do it?

I worked in a guitar shop that was a Godin dealer. It had your exact same guitar (same year too) in a gorgeous blue. I really dug that guitar. It would have been nice to have, but it was out of my price range back then. (And also today.) Have fun with it. They are really nice guitars.

I've got a Radiator. Its a weird beast, but will never sell it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Music is for life. Without parole.

He Did the Monster Mash DrNewcenstein's Avatar

Right after this thread was started, I saw an episode of How It's Made which featured Godin for an "electric guitars" segment. It was really interesting, especially to find that they cut fret slots with a machine that has 22-24 small rotary saw blades that can be adjusted for scale length, and the frets were seated with another machine, then trimmed and finished with yet another. Bodies were largely done by hand IIRC, as well as necks. Machines did the time-consuming detail work, and that's what helps keep the price reasonable while offering the build quality of a more expensive (USA) brand.

I have not heard one bad review of a Godin in terms of craftsmanship. Maybe one, at most, but not everyone tells the whole story (i.e. they messed it up themselves and blamed it on the company).

I'm not opposed to machines doing that kind of work, and do not buy into the "heart and soul" intangible transference mumbo-jumbo a lot of people bandy about. I've seen the USA Gibson plant in Memphis where all Les Pauls are made, and there were maybe 4 guys in the place who looked like they knew anything about it - the guy running the CNC body miller, the guy running the neck mill, the guy in the paint booth, and the guy who did the wiring. The other 20 or so "builders" looked more like they got the typical 5-minute on-the-job factory training and told "good luck". None of them appeared to be focusing on any kind of detail, much less transferring heart and soul into it. It looked like they were doing a job.
    Except for the guy running the bench buffer, tearing the masking tape off the edge of the board as he danced around it.

The quality complaints I hear about recent USA Les Pauls suddenly made sense after seeing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Note View Post
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

I've been using a Godin Exit 22 for the last six years for single coil sounds. It's an odd guitar . . . kinda telecaster-y shape/neck with pretty well volume balanced SSH pickups and a mahogany body. The Godin branded pickups sound decent too! The upper fret access is outstanding (minimalist heel), it's tapered and curved in all the right places so it's very comfortable to play. Came with a very nicely padded gig bag. Picked it up used for a couple hundred dollars.

Name:	100_1325.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	50961
    Last edited by GuitarStv; 02-13-2014 at 05:24 AM.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by SongsForTheDeaf View Post
    So I'm a proud Godin artist and me and my band are endorsed by Godin. Being Canadian I try to use Canadian products (Traynor, Godin, Yorkville etc) I have a 1998 Godin LGX in this awesome flamed maple top with a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck and this guitar just feels right in my hands and sounds GREAT. After really diving into the new models from Godin including the Icon and Core series I have found out with comparisons to other guitars that I have owned, rented and played at the shop that Godin makes some of the best guitars for 1500 or less and the quality and feel is perfect and I don't say that word lightly... When ever I play a Godin I can never find a fault which obviously is rare in the guitarworld

Anyways what Godins are you using ? pics appreciated ! here is my baby

Name:  285346_3765134185880_1431320280_n.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  96.6 KB
    that's a beautiful instrument. i've been curious about these for a while. after being disgusted by gibson recently, i've been checking out other companies that make models with an LP influence, and these look awesome.

my only experience with Godin was an icon a few years back, and it was a really cool instrument that played really well and sounded very cool.

i remember being very impressed with the neck...

Name:	2013-02-20_17-49-44_69.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	50968

I need to excavate in my Radiator pretty soon. I plugged it in coming directly out of the box from FL when I got it used, and it's needed some TLC since then. My older son found it and decided to crank the front pickup volume until wires snapped, so I've been working on the bridge pup for a while. I vowed that as soon as I broke a string, I'd do the whole open-body surgery and fix what needs to be fixed. I was going to add a 3 way switch, but I'm just not really worried about it right now, so...next time.
    The neck is a 24.75 length, so it's nice and slinky. Most everything behind the pickguard is hollow.

Does anyone know the difference between the Icon and the Core lines? They seem the same to me except the core has a pick guard and combo wrap around bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    Does anyone know the difference between the Icon and the Core lines? They seem the same to me except the core has a pick guard and combo wrap around bridge.
    I'm pretty sure the Core series is machine assembled and the Icon is the hand assembled. I know the Icons get a hand-rubbed finish. I imagine it's the difference in like...LTD and ESP, I guess. Or a Les Paul USA vs a Les Paul Custom shop. Definitely not like the difference between Epiphone and Gibson; there isn't that much of a gap in quality.

All I know is I want an Icon with the hand-rubbed finish, pearloid pickguard and matching pearloid-topped p-rails. That would be a Never-sell for sure. The Radiator I have is a Never-sell because I wouldn't get what it's worth, but then there's also Never-EVER-Sell.

I had a guy offer to trade me his Freeway Classic for my Ibanez SZ720FM the other day. If I wasn't in the position of needing the cash, I probably would have looked in to it more.

This is the unfortunate reality of buying a Godin. They are very reasonable, but their re-sale value isn't the greatest. I don't understand why. Seems like the only good resellers are
    Gibons, Fenders and very recently, PRS. Some Gretch guitars are valuable too. some like the country Gentleman are really well made but don't do anything for me. People like
    Stephen Stills sure liked them. Rickenbacker are out of sight! i never played one, so I have no opinion. I always thought they were named for Eddie, the World War 1 Ace.