Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 602

Thread: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

  1. #61
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Gone_Shootin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    I didn't get around to setting up to record, but I did get my Black Winter set swapped into another one of my guitars. Actually I swapped pickups out in 3 of my guitars yesterday. The Les Paul got the 500T/496R out of my Explorer, the Explorer got the Screamin' Demon & Pearly Gates out of my Les Paul, and the Black Winters wound up in my El-Cheapo JS Series Jackson King V (Alder body, Rosewood fretboard on a bolt on Maple neck, and a string through body Tune-O-Matic).

    I decided to give the BWs a try with 250k pots and a .022uf cap for now, until I get ahold of some more of the 500k Bourns pots I like. It works well enough, but they 250s chop off a lot of the chimey top end, which wasn't much if a surprise. I will put some 500s & a .047uf cap in there when I order some more, but for now this works fine. I like the mids in this guitar a lot more and the problem with the low mids I had with the BWs in the Explorer is gone. There are still plenty of lows, though. And the neck pup in alot blusier sounding with the Alder than it was with the Mahogany of the Explorer. So, in the Cheap V they will stay, eventually with different pots, of course.
    Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 08-11-2013 at 07:56 PM.

  2. #62
    Toneologist dvanburen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    609

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Quote Originally Posted by orpheo View Post

    The moment SD releases a pickup that's as fluid as the JB, as tight as the fullshred but has the chunk of the invader and the grittyness of the distortion if I pick hard.

    that's what I'll buy.
    Yes Yes Yes!!!!!!

  3. #63
    Super Toneologist Lucy Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dantooine. I'm on Dantooine.
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    OOooooooh....man.

    Bad hair day with the Winters on Saturday.

    So...the Winters finally met the Mesa Mark IV on Saturday afternoon and I could NOT dial out this cocked wah tone that they seem to really like to create together.

    I'm going to tweak more later, but if it comes down to redialing the Mark IV for just the Black Winters or just using the Mark IV for every other axe in my quiver, then I'll just have to keep those two separated on the playground from that point on.



    I also have a theory that I'm going to try with this pairing. I think the reverb is leaking into the signal when bypassed with the pedal. so I'm going to take the pedal out of the equation and just turn the reverb knob all the way down and try it that way.

    Also...I re-visited the "Winters Vs the Mesa Stiletto" pairing and I swear I almost sold that amp over it this past weekend. I may just use it for cleans from now on. [gives Stiletto the finger]

    More later I guess.

    ~LD
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

    Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

    What are you doing right now? Thread.

    Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

  4. #64
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Gone_Shootin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Lucy, try them in an Alder bodied guitar. I think your Mesas will like it, mine did.

  5. #65
    Super Toneologist Lucy Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dantooine. I'm on Dantooine.
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
    Lucy, try them in an Alder bodied guitar. I think your Mesas will like it, mine did.
    Man...I may just throw them in a Strat!!

    So far it is just the Mark IV that is being a snob.
    The Stiletto doesn't like ANYTHING because Mesa tuned the sound after an ice pick being played through a trumpet.
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

    Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

    What are you doing right now? Thread.

    Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

  6. #66
    Super Toneologist loversmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    1,068

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    if you throw them in a strat let me know how they turn out. Im thinking of replacing my breed with the winters in my alder strat.

  7. #67
    Ultimate Tone Member Mad-Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
    Lucy, try them in an Alder bodied guitar. I think your Mesas will like it, mine did.
    Interesting, this makes me much more interested in them than I was before! I'm extremely curious now. I got a Mesa Mark V, and these would be going into an Alder bodied guitar, so it may work.

  8. #68
    Toneologist Grindspine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    815

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
    OOooooooh....man.

    Bad hair day with the Winters on Saturday.

    So...the Winters finally met the Mesa Mark IV on Saturday afternoon and I could NOT dial out this cocked wah tone that they seem to really like to create together.
    I have been listening to Hypocrisy's self-titled album lately; the whole thing has a bit of that cocked wah mid-boost thing happening. I actually dig that sound quite a bit if used in the right context.

  9. #69
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Hague, Netherlands
    Posts
    3,104

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Quote Originally Posted by Despised View Post
    Here's the best way to get an idea of the BW's compared to a lot of other Duncans...
    *Black Winter vs. Distortion 6:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vc0C...e_gdata_player
    *Black Winter 7 vs. Nazgul 7:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne9eIeg-ND8

    For comparisons of others like the Distortion vs. JB vs. Custom vs. Invader vs. Anything else, I'd check out the videos that Keith Merrow has posted up on YouTube of the comparisons. Even though they are all distortion and metal toned, it'll give you the basic idea...
    I despise clips besides loving Ola's playing. Why? Because I get little or no idea of the tone. I hear Ola, I hear the amp, I hear the production, but not the pickups.

    About my initial proposal. there's a pickup that does what I described. They just have to make the darned thing.

    there are actually 2 pickups....

    1: PATB1 PATB2 hybrid alnico 8.
    2: Distortion/Fullshred alnico 8 hybrid.

    Those pickups are amazing. My to-go pickups if I wanna go high gain.

  10. #70
    Ultimate Tone Member Dark Order Lord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    580

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Quote Originally Posted by orpheo View Post
    I despise clips besides loving Ola's playing. Why? Because I get little or no idea of the tone. I hear Ola, I hear the amp, I hear the production, but not the pickups.

    About my initial proposal. there's a pickup that does what I described. They just have to make the darned thing.

    there are actually 2 pickups....

    1: PATB1 PATB2 hybrid alnico 8.
    2: Distortion/Fullshred alnico 8 hybrid.

    Those pickups are amazing. My to-go pickups if I wanna go high gain.
    A PATB2 with an Alnico8 mag would just suck... Baaaadly. It already has over compressed/clarity issues with a ceramic. An A8 is even duller than a ceramic.
    DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au



    "A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

    "War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

  11. #71
    Super Toneologist Lucy Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dantooine. I'm on Dantooine.
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Quote Originally Posted by Grindspine View Post
    I have been listening to Hypocrisy's self-titled album lately; the whole thing has a bit of that cocked wah mid-boost thing happening. I actually dig that sound quite a bit if used in the right context.
    Well, it's there if I want it now I guess. I can always just switch between the Mark IV and the RoadKing for different flavuh.
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

    Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

    What are you doing right now? Thread.

    Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

  12. #72
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Hague, Netherlands
    Posts
    3,104

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
    A PATB2 with an Alnico8 mag would just suck... Baaaadly. It already has over compressed/clarity issues with a ceramic. An A8 is even duller than a ceramic.
    have you TRIED it?! I guess not. having it as a hybrid gives it so much clarity. I mean... give it a go. I put it in a les paul and everybody who tries it loves it. and I mean, everybody.

    so hold your horses and give it a go first.

  13. #73
    Ultimate Tone Member Mad-Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Hey Lucy, is there anyway you could make clips and such? That would be extremely helpful, being as how you seem to have a similar set up as me, only with more guitar options haha

  14. #74
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Gone_Shootin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
    Man...I may just throw them in a Strat!!

    So far it is just the Mark IV that is being a snob.
    The Stiletto doesn't like ANYTHING because Mesa tuned the sound after an ice pick being played through a trumpet.
    Lol, you're not the first person I've heard use the words "ice pick" when describing the Stiletto.

  15. #75
    Ultimate Tone Member Dark Order Lord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    580

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Quote Originally Posted by orpheo View Post
    have you TRIED it?! I guess not. having it as a hybrid gives it so much clarity. I mean... give it a go. I put it in a les paul and everybody who tries it loves it. and I mean, everybody.

    so hold your horses and give it a go first.
    Dude, I recorded a whole album with it. Alnico is always less clear than the ceramic, and that pickup has a low resonant peak. Whats needed is a higher resonant peak patb2 to get more clarity. Anyway, this thread is about the Black Winter, so stick to the topic
    DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au



    "A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

    "War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

  16. #76
    Super Toneologist Lucy Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dantooine. I'm on Dantooine.
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Max View Post
    Hey Lucy, is there anyway you could make clips and such? That would be extremely helpful, being as how you seem to have a similar set up as me, only with more guitar options haha
    Sorry man. I don't really get into that. I thought about starting a channel for gear reviews and what not, but to compare pickups on youtube...even with quality gear...just isn't going to happen. The average person can't hear the difference and even with awesome equipment, the differences are so subtle that it because a snake oil tool.
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

    Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

    What are you doing right now? Thread.

    Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

  17. #77
    Super Toneologist Lucy Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dantooine. I'm on Dantooine.
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
    Lol, you're not the first person I've heard use the words "ice pick" when describing the Stiletto.
    The Version 1 man. Not the II.
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

    Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

    What are you doing right now? Thread.

    Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

  18. #78
    Ultimate Tone Member Mad-Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
    Sorry man. I don't really get into that. I thought about starting a channel for gear reviews and what not, but to compare pickups on youtube...even with quality gear...just isn't going to happen. The average person can't hear the difference and even with awesome equipment, the differences are so subtle that it because a snake oil tool.
    Man, that's a shame. I was REALLY interested and there's not enough vids on YouTube demonstrating the Black Winters. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a set or the bridge version to find out for myself.

  19. #79
    Super Toneologist loversmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    1,068

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    if you do throw us up a good vid. Something not overly produced showing if it has any versatility. I love ola englund's vids but they dont show anything other than the metal side. which is what they were made for I know. But it would be nice to see if it can do anything else.

  20. #80
    Ultimate Tone Member Mad-Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    574

    Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

    Quote Originally Posted by loversmoon View Post
    if you do throw us up a good vid. Something not overly produced showing if it has any versatility. I love ola englund's vids but they dont show anything other than the metal side. which is what they were made for I know. But it would be nice to see if it can do anything else.
    Definitely this. I feel the same way, as much as I love his metal demos, I still want to see the versatility in them, if there is any. Plus, maybe some other style of metal would be nice besides Black and Death Metal (Which again, I know that's what they were intended to sound like). Just to see where it stands tonally in most situations.

    Lucy, just FYI, when I meant by clips, I don't necessarily mean vids up on YouTube or anything, it can be just a sound file and posted on here. That's all I ask is an audio demonstration, whether it be through video or sound file. It would just be extremely helpful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •