Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Default Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Max View Post
    Definitely this. I feel the same way, as much as I love his metal demos, I still want to see the versatility in them, if there is any. Plus, maybe some other style of metal would be nice besides Black and Death Metal (Which again, I know that's what they were intended to sound like). Just to see where it stands tonally in most situations.

Lucy, just FYI, when I meant by clips, I don't necessarily mean vids up on YouTube or anything, it can be just a sound file and posted on here. That's all I ask is an audio demonstration, whether it be through video or sound file. It would just be extremely helpful.

Hmmmmmmmmm....

[scratches chin]

How would I get a clip here without uploading to some other website though??
    Last edited by Lucy Diamond; 08-14-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Issues, boundries and secrets.
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

I got these comments today from one of the Artist Relations guys at a major guitar company:

Hey Evan!

I actually did get to hear these! They sound very cool, and I thought they captured a cool attack and bite of the guitar when playing through a high gain amp. I spoke with Wes Hauch from The Faceless a little bit about them, and he sung their praises as well. We are going to place the set you gave us in one of the guitars that we have here in the showroom. We have guys dropping by here all the time, and sometimes they want to check out new stuff, so we’ll be sure to have them check out these pickups!
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

VERY Cool! I wish you could say what cos these are.. I understand tho...
    Have any companies committed to running them in a production model?
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Skopp View Post
    I got these comments today from one of the Artist Relations guys at a major guitar company:
    That's awesome news.

I must suggest a different approach to the marketing of these pickups folks.

The name is amazing.

The "These are built for the heaviest people on the planet" thing doesn't do the versatility of these pickups justice.

The 6/6/6 on the tone chart is just plain c o r n y and waaaaaaaay off.

Let's not make these things a joke, because they are something new and very special.

Much love,

~LD
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmm....

[scratches chin]

You could record it, and then make an MP3 file and post it on here. It's been done before.

Hmmmmmmmmm....

[scratches chin]

Upload to Soundcloud, then embed here. Click the "Go Advanced" button on the comment reply box and there is button for the soundcloud url box.
    If you don't mind me asking, why don't you want to upload to another site?
    Last edited by youngthrasher9; 08-14-2013 at 09:41 PM.
    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kevlar3000 View Post
    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
    Quote Originally Posted by CTN View Post
    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Amira-Maker

The 6/6/6 thing was apparently what Keith Merrow thought, saying it wasn't just for novelty either. It could easily be the self-fulfilling prophecy if he speculated beforehand the possibility of the 6/6/6 EQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    The 6/6/6 thing was apparently what Keith Merrow thought, saying it wasn't just for novelty either. It could easily be the self-fulfilling prophecy if he speculated beforehand the possibility of the 6/6/6 EQ.

It's convenient that he "thought" that. And saying it isn't for novelty doesn't make it true. The curve is closer to 8/8/9 and that's just the way it is.

Anyway...back to a previous post of mine.

I decided to treat the Stiletto as if I had never bought one and I went to youtube to check out other Stiletto owners and see how they dialed theirs in and the difference was night and day lastnight. I got a pretty cool Ratt tone with the Winters/ Stiletto combination and (again) it is amazing how well even the red channel cleans up with the volume knob.

Also....exactly what I though....where the Mark IV is concerned...when up past 5 or 6 and using the footswitch for the reverb, the reverb bleeds into the channel which isn't too too noticeable on the Green and Yellow channel but on the Red channel (even with my Distortions) the reverb bleed was creating that cocked wah tone.

So now...aside from being an all around amazing pickup, the Black Winter is apparently also a diagnostic tool

It's convenient that he "thought" that. And saying it isn't for novelty doesn't make it true. The curve is closer to 8/8/9 and that's just the way it is.
    I agree, I think your curve is more spot on. I imagined 7/8/9 in my quiet mind. There is no way the curve is 6/6/6 IMO.

FYI, those EQ curves are the only published measurement that are totally subjective. D.C.R. and Resonant Peak are measured by calibrated test equipment. EQ is generally achieved by asking the "good ears team" what they think it is. And it's somewhat influenced by the guitar, the signal chain, the room, and other factors.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

So anyway...the eq curve is intense...whatever you call it. I'd say if you were going to go with something funny though, go with w/t/f.

The bottom line is that these pickups are completely sick and I genuinely feel that they can be used for anything with the right amp.

I (obviously) don't have EVERY amp, but my collection represents about 95% of what guitarists are looking to sound like in some way and what amplifier companies are trying to get their amplifiers to sound like in some way and the Black Winters sound amazing with ALL OF THEM.

Last night, I was playing around on the green channel of the Mark IV and I decided to run the Winters through it with the Lovepedal White kanji.

:- O

Middle pickup position with the neck pickup on 7 I was getting frighteningly accurate Santana Europa tones.

The responsiveness was amazing.

I REALLY wish there were some more clips of the Black Winters. There's not enough for me to come to the conclusion on whether I'd like to try them or not.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Gone_Shootin's Avatar

I REALLY wish there were some more clips of the Black Winters. There's not enough for me to come to the conclusion on whether I'd like to try them or not.
    I tried using my little video camera and the stuff I use at home for recording ideas (not really the best sounding stuff), but haven't been satisfied with how the clips have sounded. I'm going to have to try the mics after practice this weekend, since my decent recording stuff is up where my band practices.

What do uou want to hear?

See...my thing with video clips (especially freakin youtube) is that you will never be able to hear they way these things respond to everything around them.

Winters are so sensitive to your amp, your pedals, your picks, your strings, your pots...that $h!t your ex-girlfriend said to you 11 years ago.

Man...they just pickup everything. But if you record them, they are just gonna sound like a heavy pickup...especially once they've been compressed.

Ultimate Tone Member Dark Order Lord's Avatar

Still gonna buy a BW and compare it to the Tyrannotitan, but first I wanna get a Whole Lotta for the neck to replace the '59....
    DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
    Still gonna buy a BW and compare it to the Tyrannotitan, but first I wanna get a Whole Lotta for the neck to replace the '59....

I'm in a very dangerous place with The Whole Lotta Humbuckers right now. I'm looking for a '59 reissue Les Paul JUST to put those in.

Bad....I know....

See...my thing with video clips (especially freakin youtube) is that you will never be able to hear they way these things respond to everything around them.

Winters are so sensitive to your amp, your pedals, your picks, your strings, your pots...that $h!t your ex-girlfriend said to you 11 years ago.

Man...they just pickup everything. But if you record them, they are just gonna sound like a heavy pickup...especially once they've been compressed.
    Does it have a mid cut? That seems to be the thing I notice the most, a long with a boost in the highs just a little. That's what I've noticed so far, and that they're pretty articulate.

By the way, no further compression is really needed on Distortion, because the sound is already compressed when distorted.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Gone_Shootin's Avatar

Does it have a mid cut? That seems to be the thing I notice the most, a long with a boost in the highs just a little. That's what I've noticed so far, and that they're pretty articulate.

By the way, no further compression is really needed on Distortion, because the sound is already compressed when distorted.
    Yes, but all the audio on YouTube is compressed because of the format that they use.