Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Signature Guitar?

Default Your Signature Guitar?

Ok, let's pretend...

So you've made it to the top of the heap, and now your favorite guitar maker calls you up and begs you to authorize a signature guitar.

Q1: Which company called you?
    Q2: Which standard model in their product lineup do you base your sig off of? (Need not be in current production.)
    Q3: What specs do you insist upon that make it uniquely yours?
    Q4: What other customizations do you make to the guitar?
    Q5: What special piece of "case candy" goes with it as a collector's item?
    Quote Originally Posted by DreX View Post
    Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
    The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
    There's no substance to anything I have posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_Skopp
    I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Default Re: Your Signature Guitar?

1. Warmoth
    2. Carved top LP, HSH routing, Wilkinson trem rout
    3. Black Limba (Korina) body, chambered, unfinished Wenge neck with 59 roundback profile, Ziricote fretboard, gold frets, 24.75" scale, gold hardware, duncan pickups (Jazz neck, classic stack single coil, jazz trembucker, push-pull for coil splits on all pickups, 5 way switch
    4. Wenge knobs, compound radius for the neck
    5. Case candy? How about a stainless steel pick and a fresh set of 10 guage elixir strings

Last edited by SnakeAces; 08-15-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Jackson Distortion's Avatar

Jackson (Yeah, right.)

Q2: Which standard model in their product lineup do you base your sig off of? (Need not be in current production.)
    The KVXT (King V model):

It's near perfect as is. But, besides using different pickups and maybe adding Sperzels among some other minor changes, it really wouldn't be all that unique. My uniqueness comes more in the form of how I play, my thick and dark-sounding guitar pick, and amp choices moreso than the actual guitar.

Maybe a custom paintjob now that I thinking. Also, I'd be open to playing a guitar not made of wood. Like an alternate material. Not so much to save trees, but I sometimes wonder why our guitars are even made out of wood anymore.

First of all, it would be upgraded from an import model to Jackson standard USA specs. I think I might go with my states flag and incorporate it into the guitar somehow.

I can draw, so maybe some original art by me and a signature guitar pick in the actual gauge I use (1.90mm).
    Last edited by Jackson Distortion; 08-15-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Falloffthebonetone's Avatar

Oh no way, awesome.
    Ok for guitar it would be:

Body: Fender USA alder 2 piece strat with contoured neck heel in Candy Apple Red polyurethane with a black 3-ply pickguard and (OPTIONAL) 2 white inch and a half bars painted across the arm contour, perpendicular to the arm, similar to the racing stripe that caught on in the 90s.

Neck: One piece quartersawn satin finished maple neck with 12" fretboard radius, 25.5" scale length with a soft slightly flatter C shape and a 1.685 nut width. The nut would be white tusq, the headstock would be the larger late 60's early 70's one and have a bullet truss rod. It would also have the micro tilt adjustment 22 jumbo 6100 frets and pearl inlays.

Hardware: Schaller strap locks and a 2 point bridge with a thick steel bridge block and the flatter deluxe saddles. Tuners are split post and staggered so no string tree is needed and no string ends are hanging out. All Chrome.

Electronics: The pickups would be white for that "tuxedo" blackguard look. They would be a 69 in the neck and middle, but a RWRP middle pickup for hum cancelling and a Texas Special in the bridge for balance. Master volume 2 tone all 250k low friction but with a delta tone no load on the tone pot connecting to the bridge and a push pull on the other tone to switch the middle pickup so the between positions are out of phase for that swonky harmonically obnoxious funky tone. The knobs will be chrome and knurled so it's easier to pull the switch in and out and match the hardware.

Case candy would be a picture of my girlfriend's ridiculously flamboyant cat.Name:  peach.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  44.3 KB

It would basically look like the one in the back of this picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	setup.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	45646
    Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 08-15-2013 at 03:19 AM.

Q1: Which company called you? Ibanez
    Q2: Which standard model in their product lineup do you base your sig off of? Universe
    Q3: What specs do you insist upon that make it uniquely yours? Seymour Duncan Magnetar, SSL-5 and Sentient pickups, push-pull coil split on the volume knob, adjustable boost on the tone knob, carving on the back of the treble-side cutaway for better access, big fat neck, 28" scale length, rosewood fretboard.
    Q4: What other customizations do you make to the guitar? Mint pickguard, black finish, mint binding, chrome hardware. Imagine a black '62 Strat crossed with a Universe.
    Q5: What special piece of "case candy" goes with it as a collector's item? A curly cord by Bullet Cable, a Black W Silver Racer X Guitar Strap by Couch Guitar Straps, extra loaded pickguard with three 7-string Alnico II Pro single coils.

Q1: Which company called you? Gibson
    Q2: Which standard model in their product lineup do you base your sig off of? Les Paul Traditional
    Q3: What specs do you insist upon that make it uniquely yours? Black finish, trim and hardware
    Q4: What other customizations do you make to the guitar? Push/Pull Phase, Kahler Trem, Locking tuners, SD Dimebucker/Jazz
    Q5: What special piece of "case candy" goes with it as a collector's item? Bottle opener
    Last edited by Securb; 08-15-2013 at 04:25 AM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Nice idea for a thread! Let's roll!

Not Gibson, cause I don't like their attitude. I'd be tempted to say Jackson, because Jackson's guitars are always epic, they're known to push the envelop of what's acceptable and they often release an affordable guitar to match up with a more expensive version. Otherwise, Nik Huber.

Huber's Orca, or a remodeling of that singlecut Jackson made for Phil Collen.

Rosewood neck on a tobacco burst, Padouk neck on a cherry burst, purpleheart neck on a blue or purple burst finish, wenge on a dark top (like charcoal). Pau Ferro neck for koa. Bubinga for an amber color. Ebony fretboards all over, 9'' to 18'' compound radius, 6100 dunlop frets, korina back for maple caps, walnut back for koa. 24.75'' scale, floyd rose optional, otherwise a bras/steel Tune O matic bridge with a gold plated aluminium stop tail. 4 pots (2x volume 2x tone, of which 2 push pull pots, 1 coilsplit 1 to engage the optional middle pickup). 3 way toggle on upper bout. clearcoat bindings. No weight relieving. Floyd goes only down, by the way. Neck is deep set, like McNaught's system.

Knobs to match the neck shaft, headstock veneer to match the top, backplates to match the neck as well. trussrod access is at the heel, not at the headstock. Singlepiece neck. Headstock angle is 'just' 7 degrees. Headstock tapers from 22mm till 18mm thus with the need of recessing the tuner bushings. easy access heel, of course, but with an ledge/edge. too smooth a neck and I lose my bearings. I need a marker along the way for my muscle memory.

Case candy? What about a carbon fiber whammy bar, plus a spare, that doubles as an adjuster for the trussrod plus wrench for the floyd?

Guys, did I think this through way too much? (nah, it's just a description of my current guitar with some add-ons )

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
    Ok, let's pretend...

So you've made it to the top of the heap, and now your favorite guitar maker calls you up and begs you to authorize a signature guitar.

ANS: Gibson

ANS: Doublecut les Paul Junior, 2 P90s, 2 Volume 2 Tone.

Bridge Humbucker (SH-5 if possible) with coil split, neck P90. Instead of the 'Les Paul Model' on the headstock, I'd have the crown sort of the thing, like on SG's. EBONY FRETBOARD. OR AT LEAST A ROSEWOOD FRETBOARD STAINED TO LOOK LIKE EBONY.

ANS: Colours would be Alpine White, Faded Mahogany or a Blueburst.

ANS: A Poster of my band's first album cover or the logo of our band.

Super Toneologist

Q1: Which company called you? G&L
    Q2: Which standard model in their product lineup do you base your sig off of? Legacy HB
    Q3: What specs do you insist upon that make it uniquely yours? Mostly electronics. It would have no tone controls. No mid pickup. The neck pickup would be a SD P90. The bridge pickup is already a JB. 3 way toggle switch for the pickups. Jumbo SS frets. Fixed bridge.
    Q4: What other customizations do you make to the guitar? lol..a neck through body design would be over the top. Compound radius neck.
    Q5: What special piece of "case candy" goes with it as a collector's item? It would have a booklet explaining the features of the guitar and how it came to be. There would also be a mickey of bourbon in the case too.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Q1: I would be ok with any brand, but given the body style I want, I will go with Gibson
    Q2: Double cut junior
    Q3: Mahogany body, maple neck, ebony board
    Q4: Tune o matic, humbucker in the bridge, single coil in the neck
    Q5: custom strap and straplocks

Ultimate Tone Slacker Falloffthebonetone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by esandes View Post
    Q1: Which company called you? G&L
    Q2: Which standard model in their product lineup do you base your sig off of? Legacy HB
    Q3: What specs do you insist upon that make it uniquely yours? Mostly electronics. It would have no tone controls. No mid pickup. The neck pickup would be a SD P90. The bridge pickup is already a JB. 3 way toggle switch for the pickups. Jumbo SS frets. Fixed bridge.
    Q4: What other customizations do you make to the guitar? lol..a neck through body design would be over the top. Compound radius neck.
    Q5: What special piece of "case candy" goes with it as a collector's item? It would have a booklet explaining the features of the guitar and how it came to be. There would also be a mickey of bourbon in the case too.
    Dude have you heard of the g&l fallout? It's almost that verbatim. Just a g&l p90 instead of a duncan one, a different, smaller body shape, and a tone control. You could easily change the tone pot around to make 2 volume knobs, then roll one away when not in use and use it as a killswitch. Order the compound radius and the SS frets custom when you order the guitar and if the p90 stock isn't cutting it for you, you could replace it too, even though I hear it's a nice one.

Heres a link to it just in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...lout/index.asp
    Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 08-15-2013 at 07:57 AM.

Super Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
    Dude have you heard of the g&l fallout? It's almost that verbatim. Just a g&l p90 instead of a duncan one, a different, smaller body shape, and a tone control. You could easily change the tone pot around to make 2 volume knobs, then roll one away when not in use and use it as a killswitch. Order the compound radius and the SS frets custom when you order the guitar and if the p90 stock isn't cutting it for you, you could replace it too, even though I hear it's a nice one.

Heres a link to it just in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...lout/index.asp
    good catch. i actually have the fallout on custom order right now! i love G&L. it's the only reputable company that i am aware of that makes custom ordered guitars every day without the obscene custom shop prices (fender and gibson take note).

unfortunately i don't think G&L make compound radius necks. they have 10 neck profiles. i just chose their #1 profile.

i love the jazzmaster type body style of the fallout and i thought about using the fallout as a base for a signature model. however i am a creature of habit when it comes to guitars and the dual cutaway strat style body is out of habit since my old guitars were the same style.

He's just a one man shop, but the builder/co-designer would have to be Terry McInturff.
    Because besides being a freaking amazeballs luthier he's a great guy.

EPMM or Carvin.
    Though if Jol Danzig called...

If they couldn't do Terry's designs, the Carvin CT6 or EBMM Axis (yea, I know, but I like the body shape).

Terry's Zodiac body style.
    24.75 - 25.5" fanned fret or straight 25.5".
    12"-16" compound radius.
    1 5/8" bone nut.
    Bound dark ebony fretboard.
    22, 24 or 27 stainless steel extra-jumbo frets depending on pickup layout chosen.
    MOP "fang" inlays.
    Multi-piece, flamed maple, long-tenon set neck.
    Neck profile fit to my hand, but generally thin and fast with just enough shoulder to get a good grip.
    Tilted headstock with locking tuners and quilted maple overlay.
    Quilted maple, bound, carved top with a faded cherry burst finish. One inch thick.
    One piece, lightweight figured koa body. One inch thick.
    Total body thickness will be 2".
    Clear gloss nitro top finish with tung oil on the neck.
    Inset strap locks.
    Graphtech Resomax bridge with optional Ghost saddles.
    Wiring: Selection can include full Ghost piezo/synth wiring with appropriate controls in as compact a setup as possible.
    Stacked volume/tone and rotary pickup selection.
    Or a single volume knob.
    Pickups: I'm sure Seymour Duncan would be delighted to partner up with us in this endeavor.
    Knobs: metal heavy knurled barrel.

I'm envisioning the HxS set with PATB-1/PA-STK1n combo with Ghost. Parallel/series and phase selection. 2 x stacked volume/tone controls. Rotary pickup selection that includes all mag/piezo options including "blower" setting.

Pickup/electronic options: Hxx, HHx, HxS, HxH, HSS.
    Finish options; faded cherry burst, natural, translucent dyes; purple, red, orange and amber ala Carvin.
    Trem version: (for 25.5" scale only)SuperVee tremolo, SuperVee lock nut and Mag-lok.

I'm thinking a set of custom picks made from all kinds of weird materials like carbon fiber and fossilized ivory.
    And a nice, well made leather strap with carbon fiber "monster fang" logo/treatment.

Ok, so this is more of a "line" of guitars rather than a singular sig model.
    I swear I'm not narcissistic. lol
    Last edited by MojoMonster; 08-15-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: thought of more stuff
    MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
    Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Q1: Which company called you? Mayones
    Q2: Which standard model in their product lineup do you base your sig off of? (Need not be in current production.) Regius PRO 6
    Q3: What specs do you insist upon that make it uniquely yours? Full Shred/Screamin Demon pickups, red to blue finish, Evertune bridge, kill switch, gps tracking unit
    Q4: What other customizations do you make to the guitar? Tornado on the headstock, abalone inlay around outside edges
    Q5: What special piece of "case candy" goes with it as a collector's item? Case comes with combination lock and special large raised logo.

Q1: Gibson

Q2: Les Paul Deluxe

Q3: Custom "worn" neck profile. Plain natural maple top. Routed for full-sized humbuckers.

Q4: Grover locking tuners. Strap locks. Med./Jumbo frets. No pickguard. Seth Lover in the neck, Duncan Custom in the bridge. 50's wiring. 500k pots.

Q5: Band name stenciled on case. Dunlop Tortex Pitch Black picks. Dunlop Blues Bottle slide (stuffed with paper towel). Handkerchief.
    Last edited by JakeusUrungus; 08-15-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Q1: Jackson. There is no other brand for me on this one!

Q2: Rhoads. I just love those guitars.. The first cool guitar I saw was rhoads, so I've been obsessed with them ever since.

Q3: Alder body with 3 piece maple/walnut neckthrough, oiled neck, 12-20" compound rosewood fretboard, 24 nickel silver frets, reversed 6-inline headstock, 26.5" scale, tusq nut, Planet Waves autotrim locking tuners, ToneProse locking bridge w/string through body, single Duncan Blackout Metal, single volume, and a latching kill switch. Body&head stock would be high gloss, available in white with red pinstripes and chrome hardware or black with green pinstripes and black hardware. There could also be limited edition gloss black version with chameleon colored red/black pinstripes.

Q4: Body would have some cut-outs, and a custom desinged headstock, nice and round but still somewhat thin D-shaped neck, teardrop shaped pearl inlay on the 12th fret, Dunlop straplocks. Would also be available as sevenstring version.

Q5: Hmm.. A package of Dunlop carbon fiber maxgrip jazz III's and extra set of my D'addario signature gauge strings? ;D Also a black cotton strap. And the case of course!

I think that's it. I'm waiting Jackson to call me

I would probably have to call Gibson...

But I would base mine on a Silverburst LP Axcess Custom. Non-Floyd style.

Unique specs? I would want a custom neck profile, flatter radius than you see on a Les Paul, and a sweet florentine style cutaway. Graphite nut, white speed knobs.

Since Gibson is making me a signature guitar, I would think I could get a signature set of SD pickups. I can't even begin to describe them to you yet though. All I know is they will be white.

You get a live cat with the guitar. My girlfriend's cat. Cause she annoys the **** outta me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar216 View Post
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Q1: Which company called you? Ibanez
    Q2: Which standard model in their product lineup do you base your sig off of? Roadstar
    Q3: What specs do you insist upon that make it uniquely yours? HSH, with coil taps, mahogany body, maple cap, binding, maple neck, ebony fingerboard, single block inlay at the 12th
    Q4: What other customizations do you make to the guitar? Setneck or neckthru, Wilkinson for the trem, locking tuners
    Q5: What special piece of "case candy" goes with it as a collector's item? A tin with the band's logo on it, filled with a dozen picks in various thicknesses, also with the band's logo
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

I have a couple....

1: ESP
    2: Viper/Eclipse
    3: Basically a cross between an SG and a Les Paul body wise. Mahogany body and set neck, rosewood board. Slightly thicker than normal body (compared to an SG), thinner neck, with maple cap and optional flame maple finish. LP style controls and a custom LP style pickguard. Stock with those ESP designed pickups (to keep cost low). Maybe an optional distressed finish (not overdone). Finishes like black, white, natural (clear coat on the mahogany), sunburst, silverburst, etc.
    4: My own tribal design at the twelfth fret. Standard tune-o-matic and tuners. 24 and 3/4" scale length.
    5: My own sketches of the guitar.

Next one:
    2: Snakebyte
    3: Standard '84 explorer shape with Agile/Ibanez Esq. edges at the upper horn and lower edge of the guitar.
    4: Pretty standard setup after that. White and black finishes. Same or similar tribal inlay at twelfth fret.
    5: Sketches

Next one:
    2: Phoenix
    3: Explorer-Firebird crossover. Mahogany neck and center block with korina wings. Explorer shape with center block and wings essentially.
    4: Inlay, ESP designed pickups, etc...
    5: More sketches

Last one for now:
    2: F/AX
    3: Basically an F with a bit shorter and thicker upper horns (think more SG), and a cutaway at the bottom, similar to the Lynch baritone and Araya basses, but a bit broader and shallower.
    4: Tribal spider inlay at twefth with web inlay up and down the rest of the fretboard, Mahogany body and neck, rosewood board, etc.
    5: My sketches of it

I think about this a lot. If I mentioned one particular detail in one but didn't in any other it's probably universal to all of them (hardware, pickups, scale length...)
    Last edited by EET_FUK; 08-15-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nacho8807 View Post

You get a live cat with the guitar. My girlfriend's cat. Cause she annoys the **** outta me.
    Easily fixed. Get rid of the girlfriend and keep the cat ......
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !