Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: do non musicians like "reliced" or just old guitars?

Tone Member

Default do non musicians like "reliced" or just old guitars?

do non-musicians like "reliced" (or real vintage and beat up) guitars?

Little Pigbacon

Default Re: do non musicians like "reliced" or just old guitars?

Le merp.
    Last edited by Little Pigbacon; 09-15-2013 at 11:16 PM.

I'm surprised musicians buy relic'd guitars in the first place, and would think that non-musicians would have a hard time telling them apart from a poorly-cared-for used guitar. I can seem them having an appreciation for a legitimate old guitar, as they would an antique. Doesn't seem all that likely for a non-musician to buy a new beat-to-crap guitar.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Tone Member

but I mean can ordinary people see and\or appreciate the look of an old guitar or bass?
    or do they just think w'ere too poor to buy a new guitar hah?

Tell me a non-musician yet music FAN can't recognize the blood, sweat and tears that went into making Willie Nelson's "Trigger", Clapton's "Blackie", SRV's #1, or EVH's Frankenstrat. I'd argue that new Relics get past more non-musicians (as a real vintage instrument) than musicians.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

So this is just another relic-bashing thread? You know it's not just a musician thing. Or even a musical instrument thing. The same trend is popular (and it's not new) with other collectibles like guns, books, furniture, all kinds of things. Any collectible item you can think of that has a vintage or historic market, has this occurring.

There are many reasons for liking relic guitars that have nothing to do with "posing" or "faking" anything. But there's no convincing anyone in this thread of it, based on the comments. But I'll throw out why I prefer them. All my guitars are relic'd - some are old and so naturally, others are straight relic jobs. Simply, I like the way it looks in the same way the guy wearing the zebra spandex like his neon pink guitar in 1987, its just a cool aesthetic, a style, as fashionable tribute to the music and related lifestyle we all dig, even if only from our bedrooms. Also, I don't worry about dinging them up when they're nice and new. They're already banged up so rather than being stored in the case in the closet, I keep them laying around the house and find that I tend to pick them up and play them much more impulsively than I would have otherwise. So in the end, I actually play them more.

I don't understand this thing with musicians who seem to think there's certain rules to abide by in order to be a legit musician and not be seen as a poser of some kind. I remember punks in the 80's who felt if they got a record deal with a label it was selling out and no longer legit. Same mentality with people who rag on relics by trying to point some illegitimate poser finger at the owner, like the self-appointed authority on legitimacy and righteousness in the guitar-owning world. I buy the guitars I want, play them in my house to no one. I allude no pretense on the instrument, or myself because they are relic. And to whom? My wife? She knows I'm the relic and sees UPS bring guitars to the door, so there's no fooling her. But on an internet guitar forum? It's like a cat fight in a high school girl's locker room with the snooty girls looking down their noses at the others. Blood, sweat, and tears....gimmme a break. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedCarrot View Post
    Blood, sweat, and tears....gimmme a break. LOL.
    I think you missed my point. A (non guitar playing) fan of rock knows that an iconic musician's instrument looks the way it does because it was played for years. I would imagine the same fan would assume a similar situation for someone playing a similar looking instrument at a local club.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    I think you missed my point. A (non guitar playing) fan of rock knows that an iconic musician's instrument looks the way it does because it was played for years. I would imagine the same fan would assume a similar situation for someone playing a similar looking instrument at a local club.
    I think you give your local bar patron too much credit... Most wont notice what your instrument is, hell most cant tell the difference between guitar and bass.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

At our next show,I'll hand out voter leaflets to all teh customers...

Details to follow.

"Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...t-67-Of-Myself

Their was a thread like this over on the Gear Page forum that asked a some what similar question.

I agree with Edgecrusher that most patrons aren't even paying attention and are more concerned with what type alcohol they want or who they can hook up with.

And yes most people don't know the difference between a bass or lead guitar.

To sum it up:

Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?
    Quote Originally Posted by KBliss View Post
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorus View Post
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

I could see why some guys might want a relic guitar just like some people buy the Antiquity Humbuckers and Single Coils. Me personally I would rather buy a shiny new guitar and relic it the old fashion way but thats my .02
    Quote Originally Posted by KBliss View Post
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorus View Post
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar216 View Post

To sum it up:

Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?
    Ahahahah thats so true!
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Shaunofthedeadologist Johnny the Kid's Avatar

Ok, my only problem with all the relic bashing is that people on here seem to love SD Antiquities, which to me are vitirually the same thing. You might want a new instrument to beat up, but I think relics look cool. So next time anyone says "I'm getting an Antiquity" I'm going to ask how they feel about relics.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Ultimate Tone Member

Antiquities are a non cosmetic from of ageing... Apart from the covers, the degaussing of the magnets and ageing of wire is used to acquire a specific tone. Relicing a guitar has no bearing on tone unless you go so far as to cut both horns off your strats. It's like breaking in a speaker as opposed to breaking the cabinet then fitting brand new Greenbacks.
    So no, Antiquities =/= relicing.
    Beat up covers on a new pickup does.
    There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Fair enough...
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Ultimate Tone Slacker xxxplorer's Avatar

I personally love the way a guitar looks that's been beat to hell. I don't like those guys that are standing staring at their feet with a shiney guitar and too worried about scratching their $4,000 les paul to play with any conviction. My prize guitar has chunks missing from hitting cymbols, going through an amp, and hitting some douch with it... Every scar has a story.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Ultimate Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by xxxplorer View Post
    I personally love the way a guitar looks that's been beat to hell. I don't like those guys that are standing staring at their feet with a shiney guitar and too worried about scratching their $4,000 les paul to play with any conviction. My prize guitar has chunks missing from hitting cymbols, going through an amp, and hitting some douch with it... Every scar has a story.
    But you're a musician... And from the fact that you hit someone with your guitar, a damn awesome one at that! I think the Op is talking about non musicians and whether or not they can read and understand the story that every scar tells.
    There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I think you give your local bar patron too much credit... Most wont notice what your instrument is, hell most cant tell the difference between guitar and bass.
    I was in a trio once playing in a club. During the break I went to the bar to get a drink and starting chatting with this cute blonde. I said I have to get back to work - playing - and she said, "You're in the band?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Amira-Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
    Ok, my only problem with all the relic bashing is that people on here seem to love SD Antiquities, which to me are vitirually the same thing. You might want a new instrument to beat up, but I think relics look cool. So next time anyone says "I'm getting an Antiquity" I'm going to ask how they feel about relics.
    One of the original points of antiquities was to be able to put something in a vintage guitar that isn't awkwardly new and shiny. It is more of a replacement part for vintage guitars where something happened to the pickups, etc.

I dislike relics more for the marketing, and think about it: You are paying MORE than the standard option for a "new" guitar, for something unrealistically beat-to-hell. I wouldn't have a problem with relics if they weren't so unrealistic and overpriced for what you get. For the people that enjoy them and don't mind the extra dollar, go nuts. I won't stop you, and I won't want it so it is a win-win situation. More relics for them, more regular guitars for me.

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    I was in a trio once playing in a club. During the break I went to the bar to get a drink and starting chatting with this cute blonde. I said I have to get back to work - playing - and she said, "You're in the band?"
    I had the same thing happen when i was a teenager in the '70s, and my band had been blasting from the stage as back then, we each had 100 watt+ amps and two 4x12 cabs.

And the point illustrates perfectly the way it is .... we might like to think we're special, but the rest of the world barely notices us. Regular folk just hear music to party to at venues (unless it's a 'name' act with radio play) and don't notice anything about a band unless something happens to mess up their dancing, or unwanted feedback blows their eardrums out.

And i suspect the most likely outcome IF they noticed guitars would be that they'd think people with shiny guitars were making more money than those with old-looking gear, because that's the way most people view the world. People who play music seem to largely have a very distorted view of how they're percieved in the bigger picture. To know your audience, you have to get outside of your bubble.
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !