Thread: Any Andy Timmons fans in the house? Ibanez AT10P

Ultimate Tone Member sixstringsamurai333's Avatar

Default Any Andy Timmons fans in the house? Ibanez AT10P

Had the privilege of reviewing this guitar recently. What a great, well balanced guitar, and a world away from the standard Ibanez shred stick image.

I did a cover of AT's brilliant Electric Gypsy to go with the review... check it out!

If you liked it please check out the full review here... http://sixstringsamurai.co.nz/2013/0...-at10p-review/

Cheers,
    Ed
    http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for and by the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Default Re: Any Andy Timmons fans in the house? Ibanez AT10P

I find it kind of hard to play guitar and not be an Andy Timmons fan at the same time. Nevertheless, I still can't stand Ibanez and Mesa Boogie.

Haha yeah I always thought it was strange that a guy with such a strong vintage-vibe would play Ibanez. But I guess it's a throwback to his glam days, and they've rewarded his longstanding brand loyalty with signature guitars that are truly built for his purpose.
    http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for and by the terminally GAS-afflicted.

I'm a huge Timmons fan. I still listen to his Resolution album all the time. His tone on the Beatles Cover album is fantastic, but I'd rather listen to his own music than those cover songs. I've tried the AT-1 humbucker in 3 guitars though, and I just can't gel with it. It sounds very mid-humpy and narrow, like the tone is all piled up in the high mids. It begins to sound better if I throw a LOT of gain at it, but I don't really hear that much gain in his music.

Great cover of Electric Gypsy btw. I'd like to try the Timmons model guitar at some point.

Yeah, I didn't really see the point of the Sgt Pepper album personally. But then again I'm not much more than a casual Beatles fan.

I really liked the AT1 in this guitar. I think it sounds good for the overdriven passages in Electric Gypsy that need a bit more meat. I just bought one for my own guitars, so I guess I'll find out whether I like them in other guitars or not!!

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I love Andy Timmons. I've met him three times, saw him perform three times as well and I love his sound. He always sounds great.

I tried out his older signature (not the premium version, but the superexpensive one!) and I have to admit, that guitar was one of the best playing and sounding instruments I tried! Even though it was strung with the most crappy, rusty old strings I've ever come across!

I agree about that pickup. It is DMZ's take on the JB, but worse. I don't know why Andy chose that pickup since he used to play JB's! I love the JB but this pickup? nah.

Wow, was he as cool in real life as he seems to be? He just seems like such a humble, down to earth guy, despite his insane chops.

Also... OH MAI GAWD I WAS SO EXCITED TO SEE THIS:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mojo's Minions

being a Dallas guy, he's always around here and there. I seem to always see him walking around the guitar show and he's always a very cool guy. back around 2000, I was emailing this guy about a Kramer NightSwan II for sale with EMGs and I couldn't get past the price limit I set for what I wanted to spend. turned out it was Andy Timmons and it was the guitar he used on the first Kip Winger solo album...been kicking myself in the head ever since. but... he's proven to be a player that truly transcends early-90s rock scene.

interesting side note, he was discovered by Buddy Blaze when Buddy was doing artist relations at Kramer. Andy was referred by Buddy to originally be the guitarist for Hardline. but Schon became available and there was mutual management involved with him and Hardline, so Timmons got c-blocked by Neal Schon. lol!

I may not play in the style that Andy plays, but he's a real gentleman and there is no denying that he's a player's player. much tastier to my ears than Satch or Vai for extended listening.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

I was a Johnny-come-lately to Andy when I first discovered his "Cry for You" video on YouTube. I've been a fan ever since. One of my favorite videos is that one where he plays "Electric Gypsy" in some guitar store.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Ashurbanipal's Avatar

Nice review and playing - the neck pup is very tasty sounding indeed.

My kind of guitar - Stratty neck shape, HSS, non locking whammy, alder, maple.

You should do a review of the Premium JS .
    Quote Originally Posted by dominus View Post
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Andy is a fabulous player. It may be insignificant for many but I like the way he uses his trem a lot.

Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
    JFG Flying V,
    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Quote Originally Posted by darthphineas View Post
    I may not play in the style that Andy plays, but he's a real gentleman and there is no denying that he's a player's player. much tastier to my ears than Satch or Vai for extended listening.
    I like Satch a lot but, I agree with you I cant listen to him for extended listening. I dont know how to put it but my ears get tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post

Yes my kind of guitar too, Strat style with a non locking trem. And he uses that trem well.

Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
    JFG Flying V,
    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Quote Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post

That's a great idea! I've never actually owned a JS before. And with the superb build quality and tone of the AT10, I have a bit more confidence in the Premium line which I didn't have before.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Ashurbanipal's Avatar

The JS is one of the nicest designed superstrats out there - fab neck and R style body make it an ergonomic dream. Haters are going to hate, but I don't think the square heel is a problem at all; feel that guitars with it sound a bit more authoritative because of the mass/bigger contact area than a regular AANJ.

The Premium JS comes with a Chopper in the neck and Mo Joe bridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by dominus View Post
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

That sounds like a cool pickup combination. I might have to hunt down one locally...

I'm still beyond stoked that Andy himself shared my review!!! That made my freaking week!