Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 202

Thread: Why do so many people have huge amps?

  1. #81
    Upstate Highlander kilphody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Catskill NY
    Posts
    4,118

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    My Lil Night Train thru a 12 is balls to the walls. For a baby tube amp this is more than enough in a single room. I got the big boys for the Beacon this spring lol

  2. #82
    Toneologist epi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ottawa Ontario
    Age
    21
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    because I can and I love the sound of full tube amps man, I have a JCM 800 and a Peavey 5150 and I will admit they are LOUD AS HELL but they sound AMAZING!
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420, Ibanez RGA7, Ibanez RGD7421, Ibanez AFS75T 1993 Korean Squier Strat, Jackson MIJ DXMG, Yamaha APX500II
    Basses: Ibanez SR605
    Amp(s): Marshall JCM800 clone
    Seymour Duncan Pickups used: Pegasus, Sentient, Blackouts, JB, Jazz, Invader, Hotrails, Vintage Stack (tele set), Dave Mustaine Livewire,

  3. #83
    Raging BB Gunologist some_dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river.
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    Quote Originally Posted by LTF View Post
    To quote a cliche' - "it's not the size but what you do with it that matters"

    If it sounds good, it is good.
    The above quote applies to both big and small amps...
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

  4. #84
    Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    1,868

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar216 View Post
    Depends on what you consider metal. And the second part of your statement is not entirely true.
    That's how the vast majority of modern, high gain amps are designed to function.

  5. #85
    Mojo's Minions Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    YWG
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,598

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    Quote Originally Posted by nahfuten View Post
    Because I'm apparently doing something wrong looking at tiny amps. I'm not jealous of those that can run a large amp. I'm actually hoping someone has a secret so I can broaden my amp search to higher horsepower amps and still keep my hearing.

    I'm trying to figure out why so many people want a Soldano or JCM800 if they only turn it up to 1. Why not just get a 15w modeling amp. They sound equally good at bedroom volumes, especially since the master volume on tube amps only drives the preamp tubes.
    Here's my perspective: I own four amps. Smallest is a 1973 Fender Champ (6w, 8" speaker) and largest is a '59 Bassman LTD (50W, 4x10" speakers). The Champ is great for home playing and recording. In a pinch it will work with the band during a practice. In the last year I've been taking my Bassman to gigs. Even though I don't need the volume or the power, the reason I prefer it is the SPREAD of the 410 speakers. I don't have to turn it up, but I can hear myself better on stage because the 410 speakers have a more broad spread than say a 112. I play the amp clean and use pedals for dirt, but I don't struggle to hear myself outside of the cabinet's direct path from the speakers. I've used a 1x12 5E3 at gigs and it has more than enough headroom, but I found that it's really super loud right in the path of the speaker, but step a couple feet to either side and it almost disappears. I don't have that issue nearly as bad with the larger multi-speaker cab.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

    At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

  6. #86
    Amira-Maker
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,517

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    I like not having to kneel down to adjust the amp all the time.

    But I would like the option of having a 2x12 once in a while instead of always having a 4x12.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenVulture View Post
    Because this
    -
    Will never sound like this
    But an AC30 is still just as capable of making someone clench their chest. When I played one on "10" I was able to feel the soundwaves blowing on my pant-legs. That thing can move some air.

    And for people saying moving big amps is bad blah blah blah, lifting a ~60-70 pound AC30 combo into a car is just as bad. Head and cabs sure make it easier when you are able to carry/load one at a time.

  7. #87
    Toneologist Justin Read's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Age
    40
    Posts
    608

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    To the guys with the big amps........ They took our jobs

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

  8. #88
    Let it B JeffB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    15,932

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    My comment of course was made in jest.

    Nothing sounds and feels like a jacked up big watt tube amp. For my type of tones, and all tye ones I truly love there is no substitute...volume is power and what creates the classic tones. Its not about high gain, its about the amp and speakers screaming for mercy and the dynamics involved...you play the amp as much as the guitar itself. Problem is, it is not very practical.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

    Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

  9. #89
    Toneologist Grenade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    920

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
    Here's my perspective: I own four amps. Smallest is a 1973 Fender Champ (6w, 8" speaker) and largest is a '59 Bassman LTD (50W, 4x10" speakers). The Champ is great for home playing and recording. In a pinch it will work with the band during a practice. In the last year I've been taking my Bassman to gigs. Even though I don't need the volume or the power, the reason I prefer it is the SPREAD of the 410 speakers. I don't have to turn it up, but I can hear myself better on stage because the 410 speakers have a more broad spread than say a 112. I play the amp clean and use pedals for dirt, but I don't struggle to hear myself outside of the cabinet's direct path from the speakers. I've used a 1x12 5E3 at gigs and it has more than enough headroom, but I found that it's really super loud right in the path of the speaker, but step a couple feet to either side and it almost disappears. I don't have that issue nearly as bad with the larger multi-speaker cab.
    This qoute is why I use this rig.Name:  Current rig.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  48.2 KB
    I want more me in my tone.

  10. #90
    Sausage Gravy LReese's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Drinking Vegetarian Water
    Posts
    7,293

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    ^^^ That is sweet!

  11. #91
    Raging BB Gunologist some_dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river.
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,386

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    But an AC30 is still just as capable of making someone clench their chest. When I played one on "10" I was able to feel the soundwaves blowing on my pant-legs. That thing can move some air.

    And for people saying moving big amps is bad blah blah blah, lifting a ~60-70 pound AC30 combo into a car is just as bad. Head and cabs sure make it easier when you are able to carry/load one at a time.
    +1.

    An AC30 through it's Celestion Blues is capable of slugging it out with a 100w Marshall through greenbacks.

    Low powered doesn't necessarily equal quiet.

    For example, look at a band like Soundgarden. On Kim's side of the stage you have a 100w Dual Rectifier 2x12 combo and a 90w Electra Dyne head into a 4x12, and Chris' side is 37w /13 into a 2x12 and 15w Savage 1x12 combos... and it's Kim's side of the stage that's the quiet side.

    If there's anything there's a lesson there... choose what you want and make it work for you.

    [in my opinion]Too much headroom is an issue for people who want to get breakup out of a non-master volume amp, and even for those there's methods for dealing with that. For anything with a master volume the issue becomes that of driving the speaker hard enough to get it to sound correct, which is also a problem that exists regardless of how much power your amp outputs.[/in my opinion]

    On the other hand, an amp that's voiced to preserve headroom by cutting off the bass is going to sound different than an amp that's voiced to allow the full harmonic content of the note, and the second amp is going to require more power to amplify those low frequencies even if it's played at the exact same volume as the first amp. Being able to dedicate all of their power to amplifying just the midrange is why some of those low powered amps are so obnoxiously loud, and having their bottom end cut so that they don't sh*t the bed when the low E is is struck is why they don't typically sound as full as their big iron brethren.

    In the end it's all about using what works for you. A Princeton Reverb is a killer sounding amp... but it doesn't sound like a Twin... nor does a Twin sound like a Princeton Reverb.
    Last edited by some_dude; 12-01-2013 at 10:51 AM.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

  12. #92
    Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    1,868

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    I like not having to kneel down to adjust the amp all the time.

    But I would like the option of having a 2x12 once in a while instead of always having a 4x12.
    That is the biggest reason for me. Even when I use my 2x12, I put a four space rack between the head and cab to bring the head up to a more comfortable level.

  13. #93
    Nerdy Nerd jon the art guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    citrus heights, ca
    Posts
    4,291

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    This is a 2000w peak/1000w program 12" powered speaker.
    Name:  Mackie-DLM12-Features.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  25.2 KB
    if you need to have air to move, buy two of these and plug it into a POD or AMT/Catalinbread/Big Joe/ROG/etc for your visceral experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Music is for life. Without parole.

  14. #94
    Mojo's Minions SirJackdeFuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toneville
    Age
    46
    Posts
    7,440

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenVulture View Post
    Because this
    -
    Will never sound like this

    YUP . . . 5tf3 Wata from Boris knows !!!


    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100


    "...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

  15. #95
    Mojo's Minions SirJackdeFuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toneville
    Age
    46
    Posts
    7,440

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    Quote Originally Posted by some_dude View Post
    +1.

    An AC30 through it's Celestion Blues is capable of slugging it out with a 100w Marshall through greenbacks.

    Low powered doesn't necessarily equal quiet.

    For example, look at a band like Soundgarden. On Kim's side of the stage you have a 100w Dual Rectifier 2x12 combo and a 90w Electra Dyne head into a 4x12, and Chris' side is 37w /13 into a 2x12 and 15w Savage 1x12 combos... and it's Kim's side of the stage that's the quiet side.

    If there's anything there's a lesson there... choose what you want and make it work for you.

    [in my opinion]Too much headroom is an issue for people who want to get breakup out of a non-master volume amp, and even for those there's methods for dealing with that. For anything with a master volume the issue becomes that of driving the speaker hard enough to get it to sound correct, which is also a problem that exists regardless of how much power your amp outputs.[/in my opinion]

    On the other hand, an amp that's voiced to preserve headroom by cutting off the bass is going to sound different than an amp that's voiced to allow the full harmonic content of the note, and the second amp is going to require more power to amplify those low frequencies even if it's played at the exact same volume as the first amp. Being able to dedicate all of their power to amplifying just the midrange is why some of those low powered amps are so obnoxiously loud, and having their bottom end cut so that they don't sh*t the bed when the low E is is struck is why they don't typically sound as full as their big iron brethren.

    In the end it's all about using what works for you. A Princeton Reverb is a killer sounding amp... but it doesn't sound like a Twin... nor does a Twin sound like a Princeton Reverb.


    HOW TRUE !!!



    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100


    "...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

  16. #96
    Nerdy Nerd jon the art guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    citrus heights, ca
    Posts
    4,291

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    Quote Originally Posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
    YUP . . . 5tf3 Wata from Boris knows !!!


    Unf Wata

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Music is for life. Without parole.

  17. #97
    Super Toneologist SongsForTheDeaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,237

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    I hate Boris... freakin noise and I dig alot of stoner rock but Boris is just obnoxious IMO
    Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

  18. #98
    Nerdy Nerd jon the art guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    citrus heights, ca
    Posts
    4,291

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    Quote Originally Posted by SongsForTheDeaf View Post
    I hate Boris... freakin noise and I dig alot of stoner rock but Boris is just obnoxious IMO
    Its a different creature. Japan has a skewed version of western culture, and it doesn't translate directly. Japanese punk is more abrasive than I care for.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Music is for life. Without parole.

  19. #99
    Super Toneologist SongsForTheDeaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,237

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    Yeah I think Pink is the album I dislike the least lol so much feedback!
    Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

  20. #100
    One of Jerry's Kids Securb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    14,023

    Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

    Quote Originally Posted by LTF View Post
    "it's not the size but what you do with it that matters"
    Yeah, a guy with a really little amp made up that nugget. Doesn't make it true

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •