Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people have huge amps?

Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

Quote Originally Posted by Top-L View Post
    If you've ever tried to rehearse with a loud drummer with anything less than a 4x12, you know why you need one.

I used to have a Fender super 60 which was a LOUD 60 watts, but the 1x12 couldnt keep up with the drummer.

The half stack is battle tested. Big enough to play in any loud situation, can be turned down if needed.
    I never had a problem keeping up with my drummers using a 40w Fender HRD. I heard hardly any change in the mix when I switched to a Recto with a 4x12. Its all about mids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar216 View Post
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Quote Originally Posted by SongsForTheDeaf View Post
    I wouldn't dismiss all 15 watt amps.. the Ampeg GVT15H is 15 watts powered by two 6v6s and it has a lot of volume and headroom going into a V30 2x12 cab and 4x12 Marshall cabs... And I'm not someone who likes to play quietly lol

Oh, i have a very big soft spot for Ampeg amps - old & new (current production)

I had my eye on one of the new 50watt models for more than a year now !

http://www.amazon.com/Ampeg-GVT52-21...ords=ampeg+gvt <---This into a 4X12, loaded with Emi Swamp Thangs !
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Super Toneologist SongsForTheDeaf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Ampeg-GVT52-21...ords=ampeg+gvt <---This into a 4X12, loaded with Emi Swamp Thangs !
    Now your speaking my language!

The GVT series is shockingly close to the 70s Ampeg V4s/VT-22s tonally IMO but you need good speakers to run them into. It is a shame Ampeg chose to throw in those Celestion Seventy 80s ... YUCK.. Vintage 30s all day for my Ampeg head.
    Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

those axefx2s are really small; for some types of music like the Deftones new album that is all you need and an awesome PA system!

Ultimate Tone Member

Yesterday was the first time i had several issues when i play loud my JCM 800 2204 at master volume about 7 od 10. first time in three months that my ears just couldn't stand it no more. so i play through my Blackstar HT-5 at volume at full a bit, then i turn it down to half volume, and then i shut it completly down. my ears were just bleeding, i i cannot stand that ****ing loudness any more. so i play acoustic guitar then some hours, and i think i will for about week, then turn to electric guitar again. i play almost every day JCM 800 2204 at almost cranked volumes about per hour a day, and i got some issues.. so i think it's time to saddle down on acoustic and Roland Cube this time.. and let those loud ****ers alone for a week or two. but the loud sound of valve amplifiers is somehow addicting no, seriously until i get into some band or stage situation i will let those loud ****ers alone... even Blackstar HT-5 at half volume is sometimes too much for practising. but i got those Cubes, it's a bit ****ty sound but more bearable for ears when practising a lot hours at once. even my Handsome Devil 15 watter lost some volume, about twice so i think it should be retubed..
    Last edited by Lux84; 04-21-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Ok, what's a "Spinner"?

Shaunofthedeadologist Johnny the Kid's Avatar

Because I love the sound of big amps. Maybe natural overdrive is preferred by some people, but I like a dirt pedal smacking the front of the amp and letting that 4x12 roar.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
    Because I can.
    /Thread

I usually play my MkIII through 8x12s, because I can. And because the massive girth of every note hitting you in the chest is crack to me. But my dirty little secret is that I usually my amps on the 1/2 power setting (it's actually far less than 1/2 power) for early breakup when goofing off.

And I sit to the side of my cabs in the home studio, with them firing into a basement wall. For loud playing at home, I use gun muffs. I'm not suicidal........

Since I put my MKIV 1x12 combo in the living room, I spend 80% of my goofing off time with only that, or every now and then with the extra 1x12 extension cab. Ironically, this is the one that probably bugs my neighbors, since it's not blocked by heavy basement walls....
    Last edited by MkIII Renegade; 04-22-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
    Marshall JVM410H
    Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
    Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
    ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
    Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
    Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
    Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
    Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Little Pigbacon

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenVulture View Post
    To match the size of their egos .
    And can we suppose that owners of smaller amps are trying to match the size of something else?

(This counter-troll has been brought to you by PowerBar® Performance Energy Blasts Gell Filled Chews™.)
    Last edited by Little Pigbacon; 04-22-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    Ok, what's a "Spinner"?
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=4364095

Last edited by Securb; 04-22-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker jimijames's Avatar

Yes, I read the whole thread over again, because I was like "how did it get like this?"

Quote Originally Posted by gatorblue View Post
    . . . you can overdrive the pre-amp section of the low watt amp easily and get beautiful natural distortion w/0 blowing the windows out of 90% of the places you play. . .
    Power tube distortion > preamp tube distortion, IMO.

I have an 18w combo with 2 preamp tubes (5751 and a 12ay7) that barely distort, even cranked and that combo dimed is a sexual experience. With a GGG MBB clone pushing the amp, it sounds better, but if I were ranking things it would be dirt/boost + low volume (i.e. preamp distortion) < Cranked + no dirt pedal < cranked + just a little push from a dirt pedal

Quote Originally Posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    A lot of Page's recorded tones blow fat salami.
    Just, no. This is what we call "missing the forest for the trees." All of zeppelin's stuff I've heard sounds great even though technically parts of it might not. An example being John Bonham's drums had, what - like three microphones total? And yet the drums always sound huge. Likewise, I prefer the raw zeppelin tones over Joe Bonamassa's almost-too-perfect live tone.

He sounds FAR superior live a la How The West Was Won.
    I don't know if "far superior" is a correct categorization, but HTWWW is tied with Live at Leeds for my favorite live album ever. Oddly enough, my ranking of those two has nothing to do with the sound the guitarists got.

Maybe saying they "blow fat salami" was a bit much, but come on, you have to admit that his live tone absolutely kills his studio tone.
    My only addition to this is that the live sound of good bands is always better than the studio sound, because by definition a band that is really talented needs the freedom of spontaneity to really capture their 'essence' whereas a band like the black eyed peas will always sound "better" (note that I didn't say "good") in the studio because their music is a creature of process.

Quote Originally Posted by everdrone View Post
    I think it is more about big bass transformers and cranked tubes to give the dynamics

most smaller wattage amps just dont provide both of these
    I mean, yes and no - it depends on the SPLs you're going for. If you're in a small space then you can be much more dynamic than if you have people 30 rows deep trying to hear you. Carmina Burana O Fortuna goes from ear-bleed to nearly inaudible, and that's just human being vocal cords. There's a difference between 'dynamic' as it refers to minor shifts in playing technique, and 'dynamic' as it refers to the ability to achieve a wide range of sound levels within the context of a single song with multiple movements. Even then, it's all about context. A 22w deluxe in the right setting can get louder and softer at a single volume setting than a 100w in the wrong setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
    Because I love the sound of big amps. Maybe natural overdrive is preferred by some people, but I like a dirt pedal smacking the front of the amp and letting that 4x12 roar.
    Unless the amp has a master volume, doesn't "smacking" the front end with a dirt pedal result in more 4x12 roar?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    And can we suppose that owners of smaller amps are trying to match the size of something else?
    I'm not, at least. I used to have a 100w (solid state carvin) 2x12 combo driving a 4x12 too, but it never sounded as good as my 18w 2x12 by itself. I'm not talking about spread here - clearly in that case the 6x12 was preferable, but the modest 18w non-MV amp with a good od/boost sounds bigger, if not as loud. Given, it can't do clean sounds like the 100w could, but the sounds it can do, even with their volume-related deficiencies, are IMO much better.

Because..IMHO..and the owner of two vintage Marshall 100 watt full stacks, is that Moar is definitely better. Yes, provided you can open them up on the wide open spaces..definitely more is Bettah!
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

(This counter-troll has been brought to you by PowerBar® Performance Energy Blasts Gell Filled Chews™.)
    Ego - Penis. It's the same thing.

Unseen

They do have a whole different sound, and loads of extra power, not that you need using it...but it can be felt none the less.....
    The headroom and control is different.

It's all about picking the right tool for the job.

I've owned 15 watters that I liked just as much as my 100 watters, but I have different applications for both. I'll use the 15 watter for lessons and a small open-mic gig or living room jam, but I'll take the 100W head and 4x12 out for an outdoor gig where the vocals and drums are the only things going to the PA.

Shuddup and play, bishes.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Big Flannel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenVulture View Post
    Ego - Penis. It's the same thing.
    People are general more accepting when I walk around with my ego on display so I have to disagree.

Little Pigbacon

I like half-stacks because it's easier to reach the controls when I walk over to them. I keep picks and stuff on them, too. I like the modularity: Head blows up? Grab a different one. Mix and match heads and cabs for tonal variety. My 1960A has two G12-T75's and two V30's in an X-pattern, and with the two inputs in the back, I can choose one speaker type or the other, in addition to combining them.

But I just like amps in general. I currently have three little practice amps, like $130 and below combos, and I play them at home all the time. If I can coax a good sound of it, I value it. Even if someone else is doing the coaxing, and I'm just listening.

Shaunofthedeadologist Johnny the Kid's Avatar

I like half-stacks because it's easier to reach the controls when I walk over to them. I keep picks and stuff on them, too. I like the modularity: Head blows up? Grab a different one. Mix and match heads and cabs for tonal variety. My 1960A has two G12-T75's and two V30's in an X-pattern, and with the two inputs in the back, I can choose one speaker type or the other, in addition to combining them.

But I just like amps in general. I currently have three little practice amps, like $130 and below combos, and I play them at home all the time. If I can coax a good sound of it, I value it. Even if someone else is doing the coaxing, and I'm just listening.
    People think that with miking amps and everything now a days, you don't need a big amp, but they also forget that people like the sound of a 4x12 roaring. Being able to set a drink on top of it is an added bonus.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Ultimate Kitten Puncher King IzzO)))'s Avatar

120w head into 2x12 with 100w head into 4x12 on top of that.

Wear earplugs.

I love big & small amps.

From 5F1s & 5E3s, to 30'ish watt JTM-45's, right up to 120watt ELECTRIC & MATAMP monsters.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West