Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people have huge amps?

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar

Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

Because some people actually play outside their house.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by SongsForTheDeaf View Post
    I had the Bugera 6262 for a short period.. took pedals terrible IMO but the gain on it was killer when EQ'd right. Just was not my cup of tea as I use pedals for fuzz and dirt. 120 watts and it sounded like it jeez it was very loud
    Rly? Lol, to me it sounds SOOO quiet through the inefficient stock speakers (vs. a Celestion g12-65 closed back 4x12)... Actually found it quite useable for whisper-quiet levels w/ everything set to "1"

tiny amps sound bad for heavy rock and are as loud as small amps decibel wise when you crank either up. modelers cannot duplicate fuzzy complex distorted heavy classic rock tones as well. Also not all PA systems are gonna give the tone you want your audience to hear at that volume.

Well one reason some guys have huge amps are they can afford to pay someone to move all their $h!t for them. Unless your playing a arena or out door festival your not going to need to be that loud and most likely your going to be micd up. The band I play for now the Drummer has a Peavy 5150 in his studio that I only use when I have too. Why? Because it's honestly too loud and too much for most gigs. I'm not against huge amps but only if their really needed and don't mind carrying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KBliss View Post
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorus View Post
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

You should see the size of some of the tiny rooms I played with my stack. Back in the day it was my only amp so my only option. We played in some big rooms also so I needed the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    You should see the size of some of the tiny rooms I played with my stack. Back in the day it was my only amp so my only option. We played in some big rooms also so I needed the power.
    You sound like a keyboardist I play with. He only has one amp and it's huge. Usually needs someone to help him move it. He says it has wheels but I've never seen him use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by KBliss View Post
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorus View Post
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

I play big, loud amps because they make me happy. In fact, I play with 8x12 in my home studio at times (on 1/2 power setting with my MkIII and cabs side by side). Anyone who has ever tried it knows 8 12s sound even better 4. And I love excess in all of my hobbies. Every single note becomes part of your subconscious when projected with such force and depth. There is nothing I love more than feeling the bass of single notes on the high side of the fretboard hit me in the chest.
    Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
    Marshall JVM410H
    Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
    Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
    ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
    Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
    Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
    Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
    Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

most heavy rock bands that I have seen use half stacks, even in small rooms

I think that it is innovative to use the axefxII live, when I saw Periphery live, but that does not generate the tone I need

Ultimate Tone Slacker thespricket's Avatar

I think it has a lot to do with technology moving in two different directions. The standard of live rock performance for years has been at least one 100w amp and at least one 412. Live sound is so incredibly advanced compared to what it was in the late 60's. Guitarists didn't have the luxury of micing up their little sweet sounding 112 tube amps at nearly every gig. In most cases today any show that is so big that you need a massive amp, you're getting mic'd anyway.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of 412's and really loud amps. A 212 is all the sound I could imagine wanting.

Guitar->pedals->amp
    Gear:
    Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
    Epi Dot Natural
    Partscaster blackie
    Breedlove Passport Mahogany
    VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
    Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Dunno...the less I have to carry the better. I don't ever use super distorted heavy tones, so I don't need that kind of power. Everything is either miked or direct to the pa while I use IEMs.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    Yep. I play a lot of worship stuff in Churches,some where a 4/12 and 100 watt head can get over powered by the CROWD! I keep the big cab and one high wattage head for those gigs to keep things tight and be able to cut through the mix.
    Stuff like this clip from my old home church.
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=4939016
    We sat 10,000 and ran 3000+ on a normal Sunday morning. FOH levels at the sound board were at 110 DB but stage levels ran above 120! We needed those levels just to hear ourselves above the 1000 or so folks screaming back at us from the front of the stage.
    My view from stage every Sunday and Wednesday for many years

My on stage rig
    Last edited by Ascension; 11-29-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120, Taylor 115
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

One day I will be running a Tiny Terror through this

Name:  0000734780_500.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  43.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MkIII Renegade View Post
    There is nothing I love more than feeling the bass of single notes on the high side of the fretboard hit me in the chest.
    Not even being able to hear for the rest of your life?
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

Super Toneologist SongsForTheDeaf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    A high wattage combo is plenty loud with good speakers anyways... I never understood some bands bringing half stack 4x12s to a bar gig or even a gig where you are mic'd

Wait did I just repeat my previous post
    Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Quote Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
    Rly? Lol, to me it sounds SOOO quiet through the inefficient stock speakers (vs. a Celestion g12-65 closed back 4x12)... Actually found it quite useable for whisper-quiet levels w/ everything set to "1"
    I found mine with stock speakers soooo loud! and i'm not a quiet player I have 2 heavy stoner rock type bands.

Probably a **** ton louder with better speakers though for sure. I attach my Mesa 5:50 express with the internal Black shadow speaker and a Traynor Darkhorse 2x12 with greenbacks and click on a fuzz and it's a loud mofo for only 3 12" speakers! Thank Mesa for that contour knob
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Little Pigbacon

I keep two different models of speaker in my 4x12, so I can choose between them or use both, depending on the sound I want. I also like having the amp at a comfortable height. Plus, I'd rather push a 4x12 on casters than carry a 60-lb. combo. And, there's no law saying you have to use a 100-watt head with it. Put a lunchbox head on it, if you want. Put a small rack on it and run it in stereo, with clean and dirty sides in one cabinet. Also, I'm not a sound guy, so I'm genetically engineered not to care what they have to go through.

I see no point in huge amps and stacks... it's all an image with people

"oh well Peter Green used a stack and Jimmy Page so I must have one too"

the whole thing is stupid and bunk I have played combos that have had more low end and overall volume then half stacks before and everytime I see a band playing in a bar with Mesa Boogie Dual Rec stacks or JCM 2000 stacks I just think "stupid".

But this is just me and my opinion so do whatever makes you happy , this is just how I feel about this matter.

Little Pigbacon

^ So your Traynor head with a 2x12 is okay, but two more drivers crosses the line? What are you doing with that second driver that you couldn't do with one? Quickly, now -- justify your choices, or other people will get to call you stupid.
    Last edited by Little Pigbacon; 11-30-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    ^ So your Traynor head with a 2x12 is okay, but two more drivers crosses the line? What are you doing with that second driver that you couldn't do with one? Quickly, now -- justify your choices, or other people will get to call you stupid.
    I don't gig with the traynor. I gig with a 1x12 Mesa boogie.