Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people have huge amps?

Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

Quote Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
    Listened (or tried to) to their youtoob albums....uh, theyre like Dir En Grey how? Cuz only thing i see in common: two japanese guitarists who look like women ;-)
    No, I meant Dir En Grey is odd in their genre too. They also suck, but thats just my opinion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Super Toneologist SongsForTheDeaf's Avatar

Not a fan... Dig Kyuss big time though, love Supa Scoopa and the mighty scoop song off Sky Valley
    Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Mount Airy, NC, USA - My johnson can cure Halitosis!

Two of the four big amps I have are equipped with extremely good master volumes. They would likely sound better at a lower volume than any 5 watt amp I've ever run across. This gives me the best of both worlds. I can run the amp at deafening volumes if I want or I can dial them back and reign them in to very tame volumes that would fit nicely in a very small club allowing it's patrons to have normal conversations over the sound of the amp and yet still maintain a highly distorted tone that sounds amazing. You can have your cake and eat it too if you can use a soldering iron...

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    This would be my intro to Boris, in which Wata is the main guitarist.

It's her and Liz from Electric Wizard. In a kiddie pool full of jello.
    Liz is blasted out of her mind and laying on the edge of the pool and jello is dribbling out and Wata is still fully clothed and staring impassively at the slide.
    This is not a very sexy dream.
    Great examples. Really it comes down to preference. We live an era that is overflowing with great gear. Big amps, small amps, tube, solid state, amp sims, pedals galore... There are so many amazing possibilities. One thing I believe is that a guitar needs a 12 inch speaker to capture the full tonal range. One 12 in does the job well. I am just talking tone, not thickness or moving air. So I have a few nice combos. They are easier to move than the JCM 800 I had in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by rumy22 View Post
    One thing I believe is that a guitar needs a 12 inch speaker to capture the full tonal range. 12" speaker 12" speaker 12" speaker
    so much this. I'm pretty sure I would be able to fins what I want in about any amp as long as there's a 12" connected to it.

One thing I believe is that a guitar needs a 12 inch speaker to capture the full tonal range.
    I guess it is time for us to throw all of those Fender Bassmen in the dumpster. I have a Randell with 4x10 and the amp sounds killer, especially with cleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    I guess it is time for us to throw all of those Fender Bassmen in the dumpster. I have a Randell with 4x10 and the amp sounds killer, especially with cleans.
    Garbage time. Sorry, man.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Well, I have amps ranging from 15-105 watts. 1x10, 1x15, 2x12 and 4x12 speaker configurations.

The answer for all of them is: because I can.

Little Pigbacon

Quote Originally Posted by RealtyViking View Post
    Well, I have amps ranging from 15-105 watts. 1x10, 1x15, 2x12 and 4x12 speaker configurations.

Also, I'm willing to bet all that variety adds value to your playing experience. You have more choices. If you're not getting the tone you want out of one amp or speaker configuration, you can grab something else. It's not much different from having a bunch of guitars of different types.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    Also, I'm willing to bet all that variety adds value to your playing experience. You have more choices. If you're not getting the tone you want out of one amp or speaker configuration, you can grab something else. It's not much different from having a bunch of guitars of different types.
    True, but it goes further than that. My "audience" isn't always a few inches from one speaker like the Supro that Jimmy Page recorded in LZ. I also cannot "level match" my guitar amp to the drums, bass and other instruments in a live setting without monitors and a PA. That's the b#tch and beauty of the electric guitar amp. It is also the difference between recorded and real.

Quote Originally Posted by RealtyViking View Post

AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS !
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    You are sort of trolling but hey... The fender bassman was repurposed by guitar players and as a very unique sound. Randall, well you are on your own there.

You are sort of trolling but hey... The fender bassman was repurposed by guitar players and as a very unique sound. Randall, well you are on your own there.

Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Because it's BS ingrained by the companies that sell them. Why do Buddy and Clapton play a 45 watt amp and mic it? Why did Page record most of Zeps stuff on a Champ? the anwer is simple, you can overdrive the pre-amp section of the low watt amp easily and get beautiful natural distortion w/0 blowing the windows out of 90% of the places you play.

No box gives you the same sound as natural OD. Some of the very best guitarists I've ever seen play 15-40 watt amps. They mic them when they need to. My amps all run from 15 to 45 watts. I've had the 100 watt babies and sold em all.

necro thread revival!

I dig the sound of HUGE stacks but I refuse to move those heavy bulky beasts. downsizing and neos are where it is at for me.

To match the size of their egos .

LOL, I will admit the Randall is not for everyone but I have had two SS orange stripe Randalls in my live and both served me well.

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gatorblue View Post
    Why did Page record most of Zeps stuff on a Champ?
    A lot of Page's recorded tones blow fat salami. He sounds FAR superior live a la How The West Was Won.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Quote Originally Posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    A lot of Page's recorded tones blow fat salami.

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar

Maybe saying they "blow fat salami" was a bit much, but come on, you have to admit that his live tone absolutely kills his studio tone.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit