Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people have huge amps?

Super Toneologist SongsForTheDeaf's Avatar

Default Re: Why do so many people have huge amps?

Lol I like JPs recorded tones for what they are...

As to the whole big amp thing it really depends.. I have heard massive sounds out of small setups and have heard small sounding tones out of cranked big setups.

People who claim that combos can never live up to 4x12s with 100 watt heads are talking out of their ass/have not a lot of experience with high powered combos. Not to brag or anything but for example my 76 Ampeg VT-22 2x12 120 watt combo blows JVM halfstacks out out of the room with its volume and low end. Also my brothers 4x10 Fender DeVille with his pedal setup fills a room with great sounds... not as much low end as I personally would like but definitely spreads the sound better than a closed back 4x12.
    Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by SongsForTheDeaf View Post
    Lol I like JPs recorded tones for what they are...

As to the whole big amp thing it really depends.. I have heard massive sounds out of small setups and have heard small sounding tones out of cranked big setups.

People who claim that combos can never live up to 4x12s with 100 watt heads are talking out of their ass/have not a lot of experience with high powered combos. Not to brag or anything but for example my 76 Ampeg VT-22 2x12 120 watt combo blows JVM halfstacks out out of the room with its volume and low end. Also my brothers 4x10 Fender DeVille with his pedal setup fills a room with great sounds... not as much low end as I personally would like but definitely spreads the sound better than a closed back 4x12.
    I would consider "filling a room with sound" to be the job of the PA and not the guitar amp. I prefer to put guitar amps/cabs on the side of a stage and use them as a side fill and let the PA handle the sound for the room. The important thing is that you use the tool that works for you. Personally, I prefer a closed back cabinet, but it's just my preference.
    Last edited by chadd; 04-20-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chadd View Post
    I would consider "filling a room with sound" to be the job of the PA and not the guitar amp. I prefer to put guitar amps/cabs on the side of a stage and use them as a side fill and let the PA handle the sound for the room. The important thing is that you use the tool that works for you. Personally, I prefer a closed back cabinet, but it's just my preference.
    PA's aren't omnipresent, especially in local dive bar scenes.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    PA's aren't omnipresent, especially in local dive bar scenes.
    I've never played anywhere without one, either mine or theirs.

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chadd View Post
    I've never played anywhere without one, either mine or theirs.
    Well there are plenty of musicians that play venues without PA's that either don't own their own or don't have a vehicle large enough to transport it. Many of the small venues that do have a PA will only use it for vocals, and if they mic up anything at all it'd only be the kick drum. In situations like those, I'd rather have the volume so I can be heard. I can always turn down if I'm too loud.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

even bigger venues with PAs taht mic everything through, its not like their not gonna butcher your sound unless you tip the sound guy, and they prolly wont have enough firepower for my bassguitar so I bring my 810 ultralight gallien cabz

Just one man's opinion, but the reason to play the rock & roll is to knock your spine through your guts. 50 tube watts and a half stack usually will get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    Just one man's opinion, but the reason to play the rock & roll is to knock your spine through your guts. 50 tube watts and a half stack usually will get the job done.
    yes! I am currently considering a THOUSAND WATT HEAD!!! FOR TEH DOOMZ

Orange 1000b

Two of my friends band . . . from the GREAT country of TEXAS :

https://www.facebook.com/orthodoxfuzz

http://orthodoxfuzz.com/

THEY will NOT be able to get their tone with 30watt amps.

I do not gig (right now) but once i find like-minded people in my city, i know they will not have 15-30 watt amps themselves.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5147...80684/?fref=nf . . . this FB page might be interesting . . . like i said . . . might
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Quote Originally Posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post

I do not gig (right now) but once i find like-minded people in my city, i know they will not have 15-30 watt amps themselves.
    I wouldn't dismiss all 15 watt amps.. the Ampeg GVT15H is 15 watts powered by two 6v6s and it has a lot of volume and headroom going into a V30 2x12 cab and 4x12 Marshall cabs... And I'm not someone who likes to play quietly lol
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

I use a Peavey 5150II with a 4x12 in practise and gigging. I wanted the 5150 tone, and it doesnt come in a smaller package (well there is the EVH5150III but this was a good deal). It's unbelieveable, even though it's only ever at 1.2 Voume- even then you need earplugs.
    For practise at home I use an Ipad 4 with Jamup and an apogee jam.
    Ibanez RG7620 and RG1527 w/ SD Nazgűl/Sentient pickups.
    Ibanez Jem 555 x2 (White Black)
    Epiphone Custom Alpine White
    Epiphone LP standard with SD Alnico Slash Pickup
    Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom
    PRS SE Paul Allender
    Peavey 5150II

Www.soundcloud.com/fyregods singer and drummer wanted.

Ultimate Tone Member DeadandBuried's Avatar

Got a 6505+ head and a 4 x 12 for playing in a band with a loud drummer! I hardly have to turn it up past 2.5 but I get the sound I want, not really in with the cranked combo amp thing, plus I need stage volume too.

For home use I either use a 15 watt Marshall combo or PodFarm with the Line 6 UX-1.

I'm one of those people who only ended up with a 100w head and 4x12 at home because I used to play in a band but now I don't. But knowing what I know now, I would buy a 4x12 for home use, maybe not a 100w amp to power it though, because there are times when you are alone and can crank it up, and that's an experience that not low wattage modeling can replace. And a 4x12 disperses the loudness and air movement up over four speakers instead of one or two, and it's just a more satisfying kind of loudness.

My 4x12 1960B also seems to put out more bass than my JVM 2x12 combo, at any volume, and I'm not sure how that open back combo differs from a closed 2x12 cab, but I can really use the extra bass when jamming without a bass player on hand.

I think it is more about big bass transformers and cranked tubes to give the dynamics

most smaller wattage amps just dont provide both of these

Ultimate Kitten Puncher King IzzO)))'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    The only thing dumber than needlessly obsessing about your gear is needlessly obsessing about someone else's gear.

If a small amp works for you, you win.
    /thread. Enough of this stupidity.

Ultimate Kitten Puncher King IzzO)))'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SongsForTheDeaf View Post
    I hate Boris
    And now I hate you.

Tone Member

If you've ever tried to rehearse with a loud drummer with anything less than a 4x12, you know why you need one.

I used to have a Fender super 60 which was a LOUD 60 watts, but the 1x12 couldnt keep up with the drummer.

The half stack is battle tested. Big enough to play in any loud situation, can be turned down if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Top-L View Post
    If you've ever tried to rehearse with a loud drummer with anything less than a 4x12, you know why you need one.
    That was the reason I had originally bought a 4x12. I remember thinking my 2x12 combo should be loud enough, up until we found a drummer. Genre matters though. We had a drummer that rode the cymbals, and the genre called for it.

Quote Originally Posted by King IzzO))) View Post
    And now I hate you.
    .... Awww really ? That's a shame

Seriously though I'm a fan of a lot of doom and stoner rock but some stuff is just grating to the ears after a song or two. No thanks
    Last edited by SongsForTheDeaf; 04-21-2014 at 02:43 PM.